"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
                -- Thomas Edison

Author Topic: New maille type at CASIberia  (Read 10246 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
New maille type at CASIberia
« on: 2012-07-28, 23:31:40 »
http://www.casiberia.com/prod_Detail.aspx?id=AB2489
Looks like they finally offer the kind of maille I couldn't find, dome riveted with solid links. Though it isnt out on KOA yet so I am gonna hold off. If I do get a second hauberk I plan to integrate a coif AND mittens with it. Why didn't they offer this in the first place >_>

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: New maille type at CASIberia
« Reply #1 on: 2012-07-29, 00:42:33 »
You should save up the cash & go with Master Knuut. By the time you have the money your gym regime & gambeseon will be done and you can get a custom shirt of stainless (you live in a humid climate yes?).

Otherwise you may be, like me, stuck in between sizes.
(I want a byrnie, but I don't have $500)
« Last Edit: 2012-07-29, 00:44:26 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2012-07-29, 12:11:20 »
but Sir Ulrich is going for more of a period look. stainless would be right out. heheehe

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2012-07-29, 13:44:48 »
Icefalcon's riveted stainless is blackened, so it's not all uber-shiny.

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2012-07-30, 14:37:16 »
but Sir Ulrich is going for more of a period look. stainless would be right out. heheehe

I don't really buy into the concept that all medieval armor was dingy and rusted. There is a good bit of period artwork and documentation that is in complete contrast to it:

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=20995

Off topic, but a good read.

In regards to the hauberk with integrated coif and mittens - IceFalcon.com has taken multiple custom orders in the past, usually if 10 people sign up and it's worthwhile for him to order. Could be worth a shot.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2012-07-30, 17:22:46 »
I think it really varies with time, place, and circumstances. There's plenty of evidence that tournament armor was very brightly polished, but I would suspect that dingy would be pretty common while on campaign.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2012-07-30, 20:02:25 »
never said it was? and i highly doubt armour was in bad shape. but stainless mail does not look like mild steel mail. nor does it sound the same. now this darkened stuff like sir edward has does.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2012-07-30, 20:18:37 »
I think it really varies with time, place, and circumstances. There's plenty of evidence that tournament armor was very brightly polished, but I would suspect that dingy would be pretty common while on campaign.

never said it was? and i highly doubt armour was in bad shape. but stainless mail does not look like mild steel mail. nor does it sound the same. now this darkened stuff like sir edward has does.

Sorry, I was posting in agreement with Ian mentioning IceFalcon, while half mentally away with work, and mubbed two thoughts into one. IceFalcon's stainless steel is not bright and shiny (http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t8/jba3/medieval/armor/icefalcon/2011-12-21192845.jpg), and that bright armor is not automatically wrong/non-period.

The DoK site specifically says period materials (http://www.daysofknightsfrankfort.com/html/standards.html), but the difference between IceFalcon's stainless and mild steel mail is very minimal; if we're talking plate armor, that's a whole different appearance discrepancy... I had planned to take my stainless icefalcon mail if I got done with the tailoring and such. This is probably worth checking in on the DoK FB page.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2012-07-31, 15:49:24 »
What do you guys think of these fellows:  http://www.capapie.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_69

I'm thinking of getting a hauberk from them.  How would you rank the historicity of the fit, finish and construction method?  This won't be cheap, but I'm hoping it'll be authentic enough.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2012-07-31, 19:54:40 »
What do you guys think of these fellows:  http://www.capapie.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_69

I'm thinking of getting a hauberk from them.  How would you rank the historicity of the fit, finish and construction method?  This won't be cheap, but I'm hoping it'll be authentic enough.

I've only heard second hand through some MyArmoury folks, but I've only heard positive things about cap-a-pie's maille.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2012-08-01, 18:44:24 »
Ah, that is good...and what I wanted to know, thanks.  I'm still undecided- do I want to commit to a 13thC persona, or do I want to dabble in the 14th?  I dunno...both the blessing and the curse in pursuing this avenue of interest.  lol
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #11 on: 2012-08-01, 19:12:32 »
i can't really see the difference than the gdfb stuff. am i missing something?

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2012-08-01, 19:34:28 »
Between that and cap-a-pie?  I don't know, really...other than the CAP stuff won't be "totally tubular" like most of what else you get that isn't custom-made for an individual.  It isn't supposed to be, in any case, although they can't help it with the arms.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #13 on: 2012-08-02, 00:23:28 »
Yeah I am a bit mad my maille didnt come with tapered sleeves, I am prolly gonna pay someone to tailor it for me cause doing it myself is impossible cause I hate making maille it's too hard. I wanted alternating rings too but guess I'm gonna have to deal with what I got right now.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2012-08-02, 02:51:34 »

I've heard nothing but good things about them. As far as historical accuracy, this is a good read (http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=187600).