"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                -- Eddie Rickenbacker

Author Topic: Bastardsword length preference?  (Read 10322 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Bastardsword length preference?
« on: 2012-07-17, 04:42:53 »
Just got a new bastardsword hilt & had a question. What is your preferred bastardsword length?

-Thorsteinn
« Last Edit: 2012-07-17, 04:46:51 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Bastardsword length preference?
« Reply #1 on: 2012-07-17, 13:46:07 »
That depends on how you're defining "bastard sword".

If you mean it in the sense of a historical longsword, a very average size would be a 36" blade and 12" hilt. They can be bigger, or smaller, but a total length of 46 to 48" is a very "normal" size.

If you mean more of a hand-and-a-half style bastard sword, then in my mind that would mean something that's a little closer to a single-handed sword, but with a longer grip, so a little on the smaller side for a longsword. I'd probably put the blade length between 30" to 35", and maybe a hilt size of 10".

BTW, I'm saying hilt sizes in terms of the total length of the hilt, including the pommel.

My personal preference for a longsword is right around that 36"/12" split, for a 48" overall length. I have to admit though, when they're a little smaller, they can be really agile. Any bigger, and I think they start getting into the "greatsword" category.

But since swords can be (and were) pretty much any size, it's entirely up to you as to what suits your needs.

BTW, congrats on your new toy! I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun!
« Last Edit: 2012-07-17, 13:48:07 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2012-07-17, 17:17:03 »
Toes to armpit, generally speaking.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2012-07-17, 18:15:57 »
Ok so I got 53.5" or so from the ground to my armpit sans shoes.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2012-07-17, 19:33:37 »
Ok so I got 53.5" or so from the ground to my armpit sans shoes.

Forgot to mention, err on the side of "a little too long" instead of "a little too short". You can always trim it down slightly.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2012-07-17, 20:49:11 »
I'm a fan of the 36" blade, 48" overall length...but then, I have shorter arms considering my height.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2012-07-17, 22:50:38 »
I'm going with 54" before thrusting tip given that I can always cut it down.

I will also be adding a smashie pommel. Because the paragraph below is something I've wanted to do for a while now:

This is another injuring with the pommel. And if you can do it immediately, if he has his face uncovered, then do it without doubt, because you can do it armoured or unarmoured. With this play you can take four teeth out of one's mouth, as he has experienced. And if you wanted, you could shove the sword at his neck, as the student does after me.

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #7 on: 2012-07-17, 23:46:55 »
Mine is 46 or 48 inches, dont remember

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #8 on: 2012-07-18, 00:20:29 »
I'm going with 54" before thrusting tip given that I can always cut it down.

I will also be adding a smashie pommel. Because the paragraph below is something I've wanted to do for a while now:

This is another injuring with the pommel. And if you can do it immediately, if he has his face uncovered, then do it without doubt, because you can do it armoured or unarmoured. With this play you can take four teeth out of one's mouth, as he has experienced. And if you wanted, you could shove the sword at his neck, as the student does after me.

Hahahaha!  Thorsteinn, I am impressed at your choice of design and for your Fiore reference!  ;D

The Technique that Thorsteinn chose is Fiore's Gioco Stretto (Close Play or Zogho Stretto) Play 4 which it details a bind in close measure and a short turn of both hands into the opponent with the pommel strike.  Lovely technique indeed.  :D

Oh by the way Thorsteinn, don't forget about this Play as well.  ;)

"This grabbing of the sword is called the upper grab
And was done a thousand time by Fiore from Friuli.

This the high disarming of the sword; by keeping/holding back my sword, I push forward and with my left hand I clench/compress his arms in a way that he would be better off to lose his sword. And I will cheaply [without risk?] cause great injuries. The student which is after me, this play shows how the player's sword goes to the ground.

If to your sword I’ll put my handle
I’ll make it fall by this technique."

(Hint, it involves a close quater grapple ending with a pommel strike  ;))
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2012-07-18, 18:43:24 »
Finally got the rattan carved a bit, the stick is 1.5" & the hilt is 1 3/8". I hope to have most of the sword done today. I took an inch off the blade to account for the thrusting tip.

I'm going to do a leather wrapped grip I think. The hilt will be 12-13" pre-smashy pommel.

@Jogh: That play is a good & awesome one! I've used it in HEMA & Kendo, but it's a wee bit illegal in the SCA lest I can grab their sword hilt. (he shows how to do that in the below vid :) )

« Last Edit: 2012-07-18, 18:47:13 by Thorsteinn »

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #10 on: 2012-07-18, 19:34:29 »
That depends on how you're defining "bastard sword".

If you mean it in the sense of a historical longsword, a very average size would be a 36" blade and 12" hilt. They can be bigger, or smaller, but a total length of 46 to 48" is a very "normal" size.

If you mean more of a hand-and-a-half style bastard sword, then in my mind that would mean something that's a little closer to a single-handed sword, but with a longer grip, so a little on the smaller side for a longsword. I'd probably put the blade length between 30" to 35", and maybe a hilt size of 10".

BTW, I'm saying hilt sizes in terms of the total length of the hilt, including the pommel.

My personal preference for a longsword is right around that 36"/12" split, for a 48" overall length. I have to admit though, when they're a little smaller, they can be really agile. Any bigger, and I think they start getting into the "greatsword" category.

But since swords can be (and were) pretty much any size, it's entirely up to you as to what suits your needs.

BTW, congrats on your new toy! I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun!

Agreed. I only utilize bastard swords (i.e. hand-and-a-half swords) except for one two-handed longsword I have. No sense in having one-handed broadswords really when you wish to have the most versatility out of one's armory. My total length (blade & hilt) tend to be the same averages as Sir Edward. Keep the blades proportionate and balanced.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #11 on: 2012-07-19, 13:05:50 »
Yeah, terminology can get confusing since everyone has a different idea of what these things mean. To me, "bastard" has been equated with "hand and a half" or otherwise a typical longsword. When they're larger two handed swords, to me those are "greatswords" and "zweihanders" and "bearing swords" and the like. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2012-07-19, 22:55:54 »
Done!
56.5" from thrusting tip to Smashy Pommel.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2012-08-09, 16:10:40 »
Agreed. I only utilize bastard swords (i.e. hand-and-a-half swords) except for one two-handed longsword I have. No sense in having one-handed broadswords really when you wish to have the most versatility out of one's armory. My total length (blade & hilt) tend to be the same averages as Sir Edward. Keep the blades proportionate and balanced.

I dunno...I have an Albion SL Knight that is superb in handling characteristics and agility...a great closer quarters weapon that can be brought into play quite quickly.  A great option in its own right, in case I happen to lose my primary sword.  From horseback, I'd always go with the bastard but on the ground, I actually prefer the shorter singlehander paired with a shield.

All my brothers prefer longswords for foot combat it would seem.  ;)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2012-08-09, 19:20:51 »
Nope!

In a war I will take a mace & shield. For singles I love me a good sword & board and I figure I could give all here a run for their money in such a fight.