"Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense".
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: New helm Part 2  (Read 13474 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: New helm Part 2
« Reply #15 on: 2012-07-16, 22:42:30 »
Well it's a size large and fits well over a coif, without the coif it looks bulky and whatnot but with it looks better. I have a rather large head (even my maille coif has trouble fitting on and off my head), If I went with a smaller size it probably wouldn't of fit over my maille. I dunno where to find any helms of that design other than GDFB stuff which is all made in 14 gauge and heavy as hell. Also not interested in buying SCA style armor because well, it's overly thick and not very practical for faires. Got any links for armor thats similar I'd be happy to see, but most armor sold here is SCA stuff which isn't exactly historical in appearance. Hard to find good living history quality stuff in america as theres not much of a market for it here.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #16 on: 2012-07-16, 23:14:06 »
Well it's a size large and fits well over a coif, without the coif it looks bulky and whatnot but with it looks better. I have a rather large head (even my maille coif has trouble fitting on and off my head), If I went with a smaller size it probably wouldn't of fit over my maille. I dunno where to find any helms of that design other than GDFB stuff which is all made in 14 gauge and heavy as hell. Also not interested in buying SCA style armor because well, it's overly thick and not very practical for faires. Got any links for armor thats similar I'd be happy to see, but most armor sold here is SCA stuff which isn't exactly historical in appearance. Hard to find good living history quality stuff in america as theres not much of a market for it here.

Not in United States per se but Canada has a good market for ren-faire & quality armourers in the Quebec & Montreal areas.  Might search there for the time-period quality stuff you seek that meets SCA standards.
« Last Edit: 2012-07-16, 23:15:12 by Lord_Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #17 on: 2012-07-17, 01:51:17 »
With an arming cap and coif it fits perfectly, much better than with my padded coif. Now that I finally properly baked my maille and it's not all oily I can finally use the arming cap properly. Still need to find a way to keep the maille OFF of my forehead though as it's rather uncomfortable being there and an arming cap does little by those means. I dont think the helms too bulky now that it fits perfectly, but I will admit the faceplate is a bit on the large side making it seem bigger than it actually is.

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #18 on: 2012-07-17, 11:58:32 »
With an arming cap and coif it fits perfectly, much better than with my padded coif. Now that I finally properly baked my maille and it's not all oily I can finally use the arming cap properly. Still need to find a way to keep the maille OFF of my forehead though as it's rather uncomfortable being there and an arming cap does little by those means. I dont think the helms too bulky now that it fits perfectly, but I will admit the faceplate is a bit on the large side making it seem bigger than it actually is.

For keeping the maille off your forehead....here's my method: Wrap a single or double-braided 1/4-1/2 inch colored chord from some place like JoAnn Fabrics, Michael's, etc.  Take a look.
« Last Edit: 2012-07-17, 12:03:56 by Lord_Dane »

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #19 on: 2012-07-17, 16:10:32 »
what if you sewed a liner or a rim around the face opening? i have seen it done with thin leather. like an edging.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: 2012-07-17, 17:05:45 »
I may just go with the headband idea though the best idea would be a padded coif. I got one but it still doesn't cover my forehead.
I could do that but it would take quite a bit of sewing and cleaning the maille would be a pain then as I'd have to detach that and then clean it. But I may just do it because I cant stand the feel of the maille against my bare skin, it hurts and irritates my rather soft skin.

I also would like to trim the avantail of the coif to make it square like many 13th century coifs not sure how to do that though as it's round and rather large. Should I just use wire snips to cut it to a square?

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 2012-07-17, 17:13:26 »
Sir Ulrich, I am happy you found your look. Not to be pessimistic but...the flat-top pot helmet looks very bulky, pertruding, & not proportionate to your head. Why did you not try a transitional flat-top crusader helmet instead?? It is smaller in size, almost same look for your aimed time-period (Crusader-era: 1100-1300), & might fit more comfortable.

Period specific helms were larger - to accomodate the padding and maille that would've been worn underneath it.  Also, Ulrich is a smaller, lighter knight than say, you or I, so it may look disproportionate but the fit is good and the protection it offers is of course tantamount to its looks.

I suspect that if he bulked up, it would look more 'fashionable' for him, but I'm thinking it'll look better when he's got his entire kit assembled and put on.

Ulrich, you linked the same helm as the one I sent you...looks like they ask quite a bit more for it.  I lucked out- that was the one I got from Scott Adkins over at Historical Enterprises when he was vetting some old inventory...a nice helm but it didn't suit me.  Glad you like it, man!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 2012-07-17, 17:33:30 »
I also would like to trim the avantail of the coif to make it square like many 13th century coifs not sure how to do that though as it's round and rather large. Should I just use wire snips to cut it to a square?

Yep
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #23 on: 2012-07-18, 02:47:02 »
Sir Ulrich, I am happy you found your look. Not to be pessimistic but...the flat-top pot helmet looks very bulky, pertruding, & not proportionate to your head. Why did you not try a transitional flat-top crusader helmet instead?? It is smaller in size, almost same look for your aimed time-period (Crusader-era: 1100-1300), & might fit more comfortable.

Yes ulrich get a helm like us. one of us...one of us...

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #24 on: 2012-07-27, 22:48:13 »
My head circumference is 25 1/2 with my padded coif and maille on, my kettle helm with a 26 circumference doesn't fit me properly and digs the maille into my forehead which hurts a lot. Guess I just naturally have a big head size. This new helm fits perfectly with my head though which I like. Now to find a kettle helm that is at least 26 1/2 or 27 circumference wise to replace my current one so I can be both a sergeant and a knight at the same time.

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #25 on: 2012-07-27, 22:52:52 »

Yes ulrich get a helm like us. one of us...one of us...

Subliminal messaging works better with vocal tonality at the right frequency with heavy metal musical reverb. lol