"Honor isn't about making the right choices. It's about dealing with the consequences."
                -- Koto Midori

Author Topic: Japanese outfit  (Read 3573 times)

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
Japanese outfit
« on: 2012-07-23, 10:37:25 »
I need a mens japanese kimono, in red. im trying to make an inuyasha costume.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
Re: Japanese outfit
« Reply #2 on: 2012-07-24, 05:08:45 »
Hmm I saw those but they dont look very good quality, i dont think those are real hakams or kimonos

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #3 on: 2012-07-24, 12:31:30 »
sory, just seeing that first link makes me think of the Robot Chicken's "Sailor Mooooooooooooon" hehehe

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2012-07-24, 13:16:04 »
You'd probably need to go with a local tailor or find someone who specializes in japanese clothing. Maybe this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Made-To-Order-Kimono-Or-Hakama-Shita-Gi-Samurai-/130138216142?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e4cd796ce#ht_500wt_1081

Trying to match stylized anime with historical clothing is going to be difficult, since Inuyasha's hakama (pants) are gathered at the bottom and a traditional hakama is not:

(samurai on the right)

The 'puffed' appearance is a result of the suneate (greaves) pulling the hakama against the lower legs:

and

If you want to fake the gathered look, you could have the hem rolled and a tie sewn in to pull it in.

Also, a proper kimono goes to the ankles, and they are primarily worn by women, tucked into their hakama. If you're trying to go for the Inuyasha look, you probably want to look for a 'gi' - that's the shorter jacket style, which is popular and easy to find since it's a common eastern martial arts item. This place has some:

http://www.sakuramartialarts.com/Martial_Arts_Uniforms_Karate_Gi_Dobak_Keikogi_Dogi_Gis_s/20.htm

Kendo has white/red/black hakama, however, red is a harder color to find for a gi so your choices will be limited.

Don't know if that helps much, I'm much more of a samurai armor guy than just clothing, so the only clothing bits I know are mostly related to armor...

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #5 on: 2012-07-24, 22:55:38 »
Im not seeing the "gi" on that site anywhere, or atleast not yet

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2012-07-25, 01:45:48 »
Im not seeing the "gi" on that site anywhere, or atleast not yet

Gi is the name for the shorter "jacket", instead of "kimono", which is ankle length. Googling for "gi" will get you results closer to what you want than "kimono" will. You can try this one:

http://www.kungfu4less.com/tr.html

It's $19.95, and available in red. Keep the gi (jacket) and buy a separate hakama (loose pants).