"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                -- Eddie Rickenbacker

Author Topic: Cheap mannequins  (Read 2654 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Cheap mannequins
« on: 2012-07-06, 06:33:55 »
Allright looking at my stuff it's about time I tailor my maille. But I dont think I can do it without a mannequin to fit it onto first so it tapers the sleeves. I have NO clue how to tailor maille I read tutorials but I would prefer to do it on a mannequin because I would be able to see how it tapers while on and it would be a flat mass of iron rings as it will be over my gambeson on the mannequin. Anyone know any cheap sources where I can get one? I dont even need a brand new one I will take any old one that has movable arms that I can fit both my gambeson and the maille over. I dont want to do trial and error as I dont wish to waste any of my riveted rings on trying to tailor it. I dont have ANY butted rings that would match it anyway.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Cheap mannequins
« Reply #1 on: 2012-07-06, 16:53:33 »
Just make sure that you take measurements of yourself (might be easier to have someone else do that for you) while clothed in your gear and arming clothes - better to err on the side of caution and measure slightly bigger- too small and you're out of luck unless you're up for adding links rather than subtracting.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Cheap mannequins
« Reply #2 on: 2012-07-06, 19:44:52 »
I haven't seen any for under $100, and you'll also have to hope the measurements of the mannequin are close to your own.

I actually use a quarterstaff. I run it through the arms and hang the hauberk between two things; used to be the top of my bed when I had the canopy bed, now I use a pair of portable workbenches (or you could use sawhorses).

If there's somebody to help, the easiest way is just holding it close to tight, then lacing it closed, then cutting the links underneath the lace. If there's nobody to help, you can do the "count the rings" method - I'm using that one on my current hauberk tailoring. I made a string of rings, only one wide, and then you use it almost like a cloth tape measure, to measure different parts of your arm. It will look best if the tapering is linear, and not in and out a lot. I tested my tailoring by zip-tying the rings together after cutting out the excess, then trying on the hauberk to make sure it still fit. I have to finish mirroring the changes on the back side of the other sleeve, then rivet it together, but it's otherwise done.

IMO, a mannequin might help to tailor it to the size of the mannequin, but not to yourself. I can take some pictures of mine as I go along if it will help any.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent