"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
                -- Mary Pickford

Author Topic: New helm?  (Read 13426 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
New helm?
« on: 2012-06-10, 06:17:46 »
Well I been wearing my maille a few times at faires and I've learned that my kettle helm does NOT fit well over my maille coif, actually had rings digging into my forehead which hurt a bit. Maybe I need a large size helm similar to Joe Metz's kettle helm? Not really sure where to get one that is the design I want and isnt too heavy, I'm sorta fed up with the rings digging into me and cutting me due to the helm being too small... Any suggestions for a helmet type?

Bernarr

• Forum Member
Re: New helm?
« Reply #1 on: 2012-06-10, 08:15:15 »
How big is your head with your padding/mail on? A lot of places will make you a custom fit helm, you just need to get your measurements right

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2012-06-10, 14:03:01 »
I'm not sure but my head circumference is 22 1/2 inches, the padding is VERY thin and is only there really to keep the maille out of my hair. My coif is rather tight on my head and with the helm over it the helm can handle being on with JUST the padded coif but the maille over the padded coif is too much. I actually cut my forehead open pretty badly trying to force the helmet down, dont need that to happen again so I need a more comfortable helm, prolly in a larger size. I been considering the GDFB helms but they're 14 gauge which is too heavy for me, I am looking for 16-18 gauge to keep the weight down. Plus I only like kettle helms with a SINGLE ridge going down the center, the 4 segmented ones I dont like as much. Sucks being picky when in the USA you have limited options. May have to go with GDFB cause they're the only people I know who sells helms in size large and they're probably designed to go together with their coifs which I have a GDFB coif.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #3 on: 2012-06-10, 15:02:47 »
I'm not sure but my head circumference is 22 1/2 inches, the padding is VERY thin and is only there really to keep the maille out of my hair. My coif is rather tight on my head and with the helm over it the helm can handle being on with JUST the padded coif but the maille over the padded coif is too much. I actually cut my forehead open pretty badly trying to force the helmet down, dont need that to happen again so I need a more comfortable helm, prolly in a larger size. I been considering the GDFB helms but they're 14 gauge which is too heavy for me, I am looking for 16-18 gauge to keep the weight down. Plus I only like kettle helms with a SINGLE ridge going down the center, the 4 segmented ones I dont like as much. Sucks being picky when in the USA you have limited options. May have to go with GDFB cause they're the only people I know who sells helms in size large and they're probably designed to go together with their coifs which I have a GDFB coif.

I see, sounds like you need a custom made Helm, which Helm are you looking at?
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Bernarr

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: 2012-06-10, 15:24:02 »
Found this one in 18ga-
http://www.timelesstailors.com/p-3596-14th-century-kettle-hat-gh0152.aspx

Is that the style you're looking for? They also offer custom sizing, too, which basically just negates the $25 off for using 18ga rather than 16ga. Standard size is 23.5", so if you have less than an inch of padding/mail you should be good with the standard size.

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2012-06-11, 09:43:51 »
Perhaps you need a better arming cap? I make sure that mine is always covering the forhead area where my mail begins to avoid having the mail resting against my head there. Is your helmet lined or padded at all and does it have strapping? If it is lined, perhaps you just need to adjust the lining a bit to allow it to fit better over your mail. I have never had any of these problems with wearing my kettle helm over my coif, but I do have a smaller head. This sometimes makes it difficult to find hats and helmets that fit me properly.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2012-06-11, 10:43:09 »
Yeah I was considering that place till I saw the prices, they have the design I am looking for as well but I want it to be combat worthy too so I think 16 gauge is the way to go. Price is a bit out of my range though as the liner costs way too much seriously. May just go for the GDFB one in large but I'm worried it will be TOO big. Well KOA could always exchange it so I guess I'm gonna try that out.

When it comes to arming caps I would prefer a padded coif to an arming cap cause I got long hair which would get caught in the maille, plus I dun like the feeling of maille against bare skin, I knew I should of gotten a wedge riveted coif which would be less 'pokey" on the skin, but they were all out of stock. But yeah if anyone can link me to a decent arming cap that isn't hard foam like the GDFB one and comes in a darker color I would be thankful.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2012-06-11, 16:28:37 »
Ulrich, if you intend on wearing a helm over your maille coif, then you'll need an actual padded arming cap- elsewise the weight of the helm will press the rings into your head every time.  The linen coif is just meant to be used as a head covering, not as padding for armor.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #8 on: 2012-06-11, 16:28:59 »
the larger gdfb ones should fit, but they are a tad heavy being 14 guage

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2012-06-11, 20:07:16 »
Ulrich, if you intend on wearing a helm over your maille coif, then you'll need an actual padded arming cap- elsewise the weight of the helm will press the rings into your head every time.  The linen coif is just meant to be used as a head covering, not as padding for armor.

definitely this
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2012-06-11, 21:58:59 »
I wouldn't take a 16 gauge helm as combat ready, or a kettle helm in general, unless you're using a separate bargrill or some kind of extra protection. The single-piece kettle helms will get quite thin being dished out, vs the 4-panels which don't need to be dished/raised much. I'd settle for no less than 14 gauge for a combat helm, or 12 gauge if I could get it. You're talking head protection, IMO, it's better to overengineer than suffer serious injury. However ... I'd get a separate, lightweight helm, 16 or 18 gauge, for faire / non-combat wearing.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #11 on: 2012-06-11, 22:05:40 »
depends on what sorta combat.  sca no. living history/ live steel yes. BOTN no etc. :)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2012-06-12, 16:36:56 »
I wouldn't take a 16 gauge helm as combat ready, or a kettle helm in general, unless you're using a separate bargrill or some kind of extra protection. The single-piece kettle helms will get quite thin being dished out, vs the 4-panels which don't need to be dished/raised much. I'd settle for no less than 14 gauge for a combat helm, or 12 gauge if I could get it. You're talking head protection, IMO, it's better to overengineer than suffer serious injury. However ... I'd get a separate, lightweight helm, 16 or 18 gauge, for faire / non-combat wearing.

I'm told that spring steel can be made in lighter gauges and still be as strong as cold-rolled mild in heavy gauge; even better would be for it to be tempered as that gives it a hardness unparalleled- is that not so?  Of course, such things would drive up the cost considerably and not all armorers work with that medium.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2012-06-12, 20:14:59 »
I'm told that spring steel can be made in lighter gauges and still be as strong as cold-rolled mild in heavy gauge; even better would be for it to be tempered as that gives it a hardness unparalleled- is that not so?  Of course, such things would drive up the cost considerably and not all armorers work with that medium.

Typically armorer's that work in spring steel will harden and temper your armor.  Mild steel by definition cannot be heat treated / tempered.  It can be work hardened a little bit, but not like quality spring steel.  And yes, spring can be made in much lighter gauge and be stronger than a corresponding heavier gauge mild steel.  When I upgraded to hardened spring steel I never looked back.

It's a significant weight difference, and a significant strength increase.  Spring steel will not dent like mild steel unless you set it on the ground and just went to town with a sledge hammer.  It is however, considerably more expensive than mild steels.  If you don't mind the price increase, it's worth every penny.  Just realize that if you invest in spring steel armor, it better fit right, because once it's hardened, you're not going to reshape it with a hammer.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2012-06-12, 21:34:26 »

Ian covered it very well. In short, it's considerably more expensive, and a lot harder to find - but if you can find and afford it, the only thing better than spring steel is spring stainless steel - I only know of one shop who works with it at the moment.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent