"It wasn't the reward that mattered or the recognition you might harvest. It was your depth of commitment, your quality of service, the product of your devotion -- these were the things that counted in a life. When you gave purely, the honor came in the giving, and that was honor enough."
                -- Scott O'Grady

Author Topic: Why so cheap?  (Read 5460 times)

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
Why so cheap?
« on: 2012-06-07, 22:29:15 »
Anyone know why this jacket is so cheap? I know its out of style by like 7 years but i dont think that would make the price THIS low!
http://www.amazon.com/DOLLHOUSE-Zip-Up-Jacket-Ruched-6747B/dp/B006ZZZD56/ref=pd_sbs_a_4

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Why so cheap?
« Reply #1 on: 2012-06-08, 01:28:22 »
Faux fur / polyester lining / 0 reviews would be my guess
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #2 on: 2012-06-09, 01:36:31 »
that necessarily bad?

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2012-06-09, 02:42:42 »

For that price I'd expect it to be terrible. On the other hand, even if it wears out in 6 months, you got a good deal. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #4 on: 2012-06-10, 09:01:22 »

For that price I'd expect it to be terrible. On the other hand, even if it wears out in 6 months, you got a good deal. :)

Not really losing much haha :D

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2012-06-11, 17:00:37 »
I see that it is a woman's jacket, yet no woman I know would be caught dead in it.  Unless it is for you, in which case, at that price you can't go wrong, even if it does fall apart after a single season.

The low cost could also be liquidation of existing inventory- especially if the maker's gone out of business, there'd be no recourse for damaged goods so, sold as is, dirt cheap.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2012-06-11, 20:26:26 »
what is this for? just to wear or to be used in a kit or what

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2012-06-11, 20:50:15 »
that necessarily bad?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fake_fur

* Fake fur is not as warm or insulating as real fur.
* Fake fur is not a natural material, therefore the wearer's skin cannot breathe like it would in real fur or leather.
* Fake furs are not able to keep snow from melting and re-freezing on the fiber filaments; this is very important, especially in hiking, mountain climbing, skiing and other outdoor activities which are done in extreme conditions.

Basically, it's not as warm as it looks, it won't breathe well (you'll be warmer in warm weather, and colder in cold weather), and is, more or less, decorative. If I were going to wear it, I'd wear it as a spring/fall jacket, when the weather is more mild. Normally, I don't know diddly about fashion / clothing / etc, but I've seen the faux fur discussion with viking/barbarian/early period soft kit for camping events, so this was just coincidence. :)

Now, that covers the jacket. The 0 reviews is a little odd, since I usually like to see some feedback from other buyers before spending money on it. It's not a game stopper, but it does make me pause for a minute to think.

But, hey, $15? Take a shot, as was said, if you only get a few months use, you're still ahead. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #8 on: 2012-06-13, 08:51:42 »
what is this for? just to wear or to be used in a kit or what

Lol your over thinking it wolf! Just to wear, couldnt find a mans style of that jacket and thats the best i could find.
I see that it is a woman's jacket, yet no woman I know would be caught dead in it.  Unless it is for you, in which case, at that price you can't go wrong, even if it does fall apart after a single season.

The low cost could also be liquidation of existing inventory- especially if the maker's gone out of business, there'd be no recourse for damaged goods so, sold as is, dirt cheap.

Its VERY out of style, it was in style about 10 years ago. Thats why i assume no women would wear it now