"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds."
                -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)

Author Topic: Rob Roy 'Honor'  (Read 12047 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Rob Roy 'Honor'
« on: 2012-06-06, 13:23:58 »

Sir Brian was kind enough to share this on facebook. I thought I'd pass it along here as well.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Rob Roy 'Honor'
« Reply #1 on: 2012-06-06, 14:24:04 »
You know, as time passes I realize how good that movie is.  I picked up a copy on ebaY because I'd seen the last fight scene on YT and wanted to see what the rest of the movie was like.  I thought it well written and well cast...and I'd forgotten about this scene, but it says it so well nothing need be added.  Thanks for sharing, Sirs Brian and Edward.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #2 on: 2012-06-06, 15:15:28 »
YES!  One of the best movie quotes!  This move scene puts a smile on my face.   ;D

I agree that Honor is something that not only can a man give to himself but it is earned as well.  No one can ever take away the honor of being Knighted or take away the fact I live by a Code tried and true even though society says "its dead and who cares anymore".  No one will ever take away the Honor of being in the company of Chivalrous Brethren like you all and no one will ever take away the Honor of me being Knighted (when that time comes).

One can argue that Honor is a form of Virtuous Courage, abiding by Honor takes Courage to stand for what you believe, what you know is the right thing to do and acting on your word.  Even though you loose a lot of acquaintances, you may be unpopular with the girls and even mocked or made fun of because you "act like a do gooder", "wussy for not being a man" (according to the world's viewpoint), you taking a stand for doing the right thing takes Courage and Honor.

But in the end, the friends worth having would not only admire you for that, they will respect you further and friendships become stronger.  The one woman who will become the Mrs. would not only appreciate that you act with Honor, she will do the same in regards to the relationship/marriage and Trust is never broken. 

This is why Honor is essential in living by the Code of Chivalry.  Still I enjoyed this clip, thank you for sharing Sir Edward.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2012-06-06, 17:49:45 »
 :)
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2012-06-07, 18:23:59 »
 ;D
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2012-06-08, 01:29:59 »
I need to add this to my watch list. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2012-06-08, 03:47:20 »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2012-06-08, 16:03:32 »
 ;D
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2012-06-11, 17:14:10 »
Who would've thought a small sword could stop a broadsword, eh?  lol
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2012-06-11, 18:26:51 »

That would be a Transitional Baroque Rapier.

http://www.darkwoodarmory.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image_additional&pID=247&pic=5&products_image_large_additional=images/TransRap1f.JPG[/

Smallswords do not appear until the mid 1700's.  Plus don't think about starting the infamous Rapier/Broadsword effectiveness debate started by Mr. Silver.   ;)
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #10 on: 2012-06-11, 20:23:54 »
havent seen that movie in a long long time. great one though!

i went to his graveside while in scotland. nice little farm, private church and graveyard. i think he is buried with his wife and sons. have to find the picture and scan it in for you.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2012-06-12, 13:44:20 »
i went to his graveside while in scotland. nice little farm, private church and graveyard. i think he is buried with his wife and sons. have to find the picture and scan it in for you.

That is awesome!  Please do so!   :D
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2012-06-12, 16:15:13 »

http://www.darkwoodarmory.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image_additional&pID=247&pic=5&products_image_large_additional=images/TransRap1f.JPG[/

Smallswords do not appear until the mid 1700's.  Plus don't think about starting the infamous Rapier/Broadsword effectiveness debate started by Mr. Silver.   ;)

Ah, thank you, Sir Joshua, but I was not using it as a name, but as a description because it is, in fact, a 'small' sword, as opposed to Roy's much larger broadsword.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #13 on: 2012-06-13, 14:24:56 »

Ah, thank you, Sir Joshua, but I was not using it as a name, but as a description because it is, in fact, a 'small' sword, as opposed to Roy's much larger broadsword.

I understand Sir William.  Different swords will always have different lengths, widths and shapes thus creating their unique purposes.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #14 on: 2012-06-23, 06:35:55 »
Love Liam Neeson flicks. "Rob Roy" has a classic scene where his wife gets it in the most medieval fashion.... "Just think of yourself as the scabbard & me as the sword."  So much for that redhead's honor.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)