"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Wood bench+sleepiness+oily hands+slippery metal tool=ouch (kinda graphic....)  (Read 2990 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
I was finishing up my workbench project, and on the last thing - anchoring my anvil-shaped object. I'd been floating between workbench, de-rusting, and trying to get the black coating off my icefalcon mail. I got, maybe, 3 hours of sleep last night.

I was on the last bolt, on the corner of the bench. While I was tightening it down with a socket wrench, my hand slipped (hooray clr/wd40/metal tool!) .... and somehow, with my *stellar* luck, I managed to ninja-thrust (one finger!) the corner of the workbench ... which isn't sanded because hey, workbench.

I jammed a splinter right under my finger nail. And thus, spurts of blood. After a few minutes of compression and rinsing, I took a look at the damage:

(again, warning - it's a cell phone picture, but still kinda gross)
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t8/jba3/medieval/ouch/2012-06-04182338.jpg

That long black streak on the right side of my nail? Splinter. It starts towards the middle of my fingernail, and curves up towards the top of my nail. Freakin' ouch!

Once the profanities had lessened, it was "operation" time. Instrument of choice? Nail clippers. Runner up was the longsword, but I went with the more "practical" one.

Clipped off a corner of my nail, enough to get in there and get the splinter out. I clipped it in half while clipping my nail. The piece in the front came out nicely. The one wedged in, not so much. After fighting some more blood and a few grabs at thin air, I finally got the bugger out:

(and again, warning - it's a cell phone picture, but still kinda gross)
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t8/jba3/medieval/ouch/2012-06-04182542.jpg

That's the part that was wedged forward under my fingernail. Not pleasant. Not pleasant in the least. Typing is not the best right now either.

Workbench: 1
James: 0

Now to find a war hammer and even the score........
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org

Youch! I hate that. I've done that sort of thing before.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
We might all have at some point...its funny now but it sure as hell isn't when it happens.  That's a far cry from the guy who accidentally sheathed his katana into the meat of his thigh, due to allowing himself to be momentarily distracted while practicing noto...still, I bet in some ways, this hurt worse.  Its always the little ones...
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€