"Chivalry is itself the poetry of life."
      -- Schlegel, Philosophy of History

Author Topic: Welding armor - a more interesting than expected day!  (Read 3602 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
I can't find a way to set the locking pins in my greaves to keep my upper leg armor from shuffling around. With smaller rivets, it was easy, I simply whacked it with the hammer a few times, straight on, and it widened the rivet enough to keep it from coming out. However, the rivet was too short and the leg would still slip off if I jump / move too far too quickly. I ordered some longer rivets, but the same method did little more than bend them over, and never tightened them up properly, they would still just fall out. I considered drilling holes and using clevis pins as a fallback plan; it would be hidden under the demi-greave, so, while not period, it would be a better solution than having my leg armor flail around.

A couple years back, a local car shop cut and replaced a catalytic converter on my car. I thought I would head over there and see if he would be willing to weld the pins on my greaves. The shop was closed, no answer on the phone. I headed up the street, and somebody was at another shop; he was leaving, and said the other guy doesn't open until 1pm, and the place I was at is closed until Tuesday. He referred me to another place down the road (yep, 3 on one road!) and after thinking "OK, just say I need something welded, ignore the 'what kind of weirdo are you' look I'll probably get" I had a rather interesting and pleasant surprise.

When asked what I wanted welded, I showed him. He asked about leather straps. I thought, wow, I had no idea anybody around here would know anything about armor. Never happened in the last 5 years. And then he welded up a pin in each greave for me. Awesome, right? It got better.

He also goes to MDRF a couple times a year. And he goes in garb. With his girlfriend - who happens to have a degree in history (focused on european), worked at MDRF before, and also does tailoring / seamstress stuff. She made both of their garb, and made some for other people as well. I might have a connection for local tailoring now too! He mentioned PARF, and I pointed him here to the forums, and thought Sir Matthew could tell some more about it. (Side note: I think it would be neat if we had some ModernChivalry cards to hand out - I had nothing to write it down with.)

He said if I need anything else welded with armor, stop by again. He even warranteed the welds, and said if they come loose or off, bring them back and he'll fix it. Very cool considering it isn't even a service that the shop offers, he was just a nice guy and helped me out. And he was very reasonable in price - dead on with what I expected to pay. Hopefully we will see him on here soon!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Welding armor - a more interesting than expected day!
« Reply #1 on: 2012-05-25, 15:26:22 »

Awesome! Yes, I'm finding that there are far more rennies and/or SCAdians out there than we expect to find. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2012-05-25, 16:52:53 »
:) do you have a rear holder for your bottom strap on your knee/demi greave on your cased greave? you can take a large electric wire staple, drill 2 holes in the middle of the rear of the greave. then peen it or have it welded in place. this helps hold the greave where you want it and keep the knee tight to the greave and keep it in place in the locking greave as well.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2012-05-25, 17:09:37 »
Luck will often enough save a man... if he has enough gas for the car. ;)
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2012-05-25, 18:35:22 »
:) do you have a rear holder for your bottom strap on your knee/demi greave on your cased greave? you can take a large electric wire staple, drill 2 holes in the middle of the rear of the greave. then peen it or have it welded in place. this helps hold the greave where you want it and keep the knee tight to the greave and keep it in place in the locking greave as well.

I don't have a solid rear plate, I have the ones with the articulated uppers (King Henry style) from Allan/MercTailor. I drilled one hole in the uppermost plate, cut a strap loop and riveted it to the top plate. The upper plate is too small to fit one of the "staple" keepers, but if I get a set of solid-back greaves, I'm going to give it a shot.

Ah, and with the articulation on that upper plate, that's also what lets the strap slide around enough to come loose off the small front pin - it was a 1/4" rivet, and after putting it through the plate and it flattening out a bit, it ended up only about 1/8" protruding - which is only double the thickness of the demi-greave, and that's if it was sitting directly on top of the greave, which it doesn't, since it sticks out slightly from the rivets and straps.

I actually have a set of keepers I made from metal rod I got at home depot - roughed them out before I realized they wouldn't fit on just one plate, and I didn't want to mess up the articulation. My James River Armory greaves have the same strap setup, except one in the rear and one on each side too - but no centering pin up front.

I did some other stuff with my armor that I'll post pics and a thread of on monday, too. It's been a good day. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2012-05-25, 19:02:18 »
pics pics pics!