"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds."
                -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)

Author Topic: St. Louis Ren Faire  (Read 4669 times)

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
St. Louis Ren Faire
« on: 2012-05-21, 03:38:34 »
Opening weekend of our local faire.  Went today with my little "squires".  Weather would have been perfect for armouring up, but without proper arming clothes I didn't want to even try my new plates in a faire setting.  Maybe I'll be ready for the fall faire out in Kansas City.  Our faire isn't the biggest around, but it's got a lot going for it (especially being under the trees).  I missed last season due to weather issues on the weekends I had off, and was really impressed to see all of the booths and such are now permanent structures.  Alas, no armoured knights (except in the joust), but the SCA was having an event there all afternoon, so there was plenty of action in the list between acts of the jousting show.  MUST get proper gambeson and chauses before next season!

http://www.renstl.org/main/
« Last Edit: 2012-05-21, 03:39:30 by The Red Knight »
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: St. Louis Ren Faire
« Reply #1 on: 2012-05-21, 04:14:25 »
Seeing the weather there makes me glad that the next two events I have to fight at are n the mountains and under tree's

Good on ya for getting out in the heat!
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2012-05-21, 13:55:33 »

Nice!  Yeah, so far the weather has been OK here for VARF as well. It started getting a bit warm yesterday, but not bad. I'm hoping the trend holds up for our demo weekends.

I usually set a cut-off at 85 degrees for wearing armor, though I can sometimes go hotter depending on the humidity. This is with the plan to wear it for 8 hours straight.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2012-05-21, 14:47:50 »
Permanent booths is always a good sign. With a lack of armored knights, you will stand out of the crown even moreso when you go back in armor. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #4 on: 2012-05-21, 18:16:35 »
Permanent booths is always a good sign. With a lack of armored knights, you will stand out of the crown even moreso when you go back in armor. :)

I agree.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2012-05-22, 14:13:12 »

Nice!  Yeah, so far the weather has been OK here for VARF as well. It started getting a bit warm yesterday, but not bad. I'm hoping the trend holds up for our demo weekends.

I usually set a cut-off at 85 degrees for wearing armor, though I can sometimes go hotter depending on the humidity. This is with the plan to wear it for 8 hours straight.

It is supposed to be mid-80s and near if not actual 90 on Saturday AND Sunday.  I'll be wearing maille on Sunday, that's it.  :)  Well, maybe a bit of plate on the shoulder, at the shins, but mostly mail.
« Last Edit: 2012-05-22, 14:13:33 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”