"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play, but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache."
                -- Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Author Topic: Review of Last Moments of Don Giovanni de Medici PDF  (Read 4044 times)

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
I just recently ordered an downloaded this document detailing the last few days that Don Giovanni dalle Bande Nere lived. http://www.freelanceacademypress.com/DeathOfGiovanni.aspx

It is a letter written by his Pietro Aretino who recorded the entire ordeal.  What struck me while I read this 7 page document is that Giovanni maintains a strange, positive attitude during his ordeal: "“As in all other matters, I have always fulfilled my duty. I will therefore not fail in this regard either.” (he was wounded in the leg (I suppose the calf area) by a falconet and a arquebus shot (a small cannon).)

In his confession he said these specific words which surprised me (since he happens to be a Condottiere or Mercenary Knight): "....as I am a man-at-arms by profession, I have lived by a soldier’s code, as I would have lived as a man of the cloth had I donned the same robe as you. And if it weren’t something unusual, I would confess myself before the whole world, as I have never committed acts unworthy of me.”

This was the surprise because he mentioned that he lived by "a soldier's code".  This to me is hardcore evidence that Giovanni was a chivalric individual who genuinely lived by the code.  I have done my research on him and I can profess that the letter is further proof of his Chivalric character.

Giovanni dalle Bande Nere (or Don Giovanni de Medici) died of septicemia as a result of the falconet, cannon shot wound and amputation.  Aretino describes his passing as a great loss, he then describes his character in great detail that he was humble in his profession, loved by his men and "The goods that were sold and did not go to his son, but to feed his men, are proof that I laud him for his true worth, not for adulation."

"He was admirable in pacifying quarrels among soldiers, overseeing them by using love, fear, punishment and reward. There was never a better man to employ deception and strength in war. Nor was the audacity that armed his heart lacking; but his natural gallantry caused him to utter sentences frightening to his enemies."

This I find to be true as Giovanni lived up to his reputation.  A final note I must add is that Aretino says these famous words concerning the future without men like Giovanni: "And Florence, and Rome (please, God, let me be lying!) will soon get a taste of a world without him. I am already hearing the cries of the Pope, who believes to have gained by the loss of our Lord."  This becomes a reality as a few months after Giovanni's death, Rome become sacked by the Imperial forces under the command of Charles IV (I believe) In 1527.  Pope Clement VII was a Medici who considered Giovanni to be a bad influence and put obstacles in his way while he lived.  He believed to have gained an advantage from Giovanni's death, but he would flee from a burning Rome and he would go down in History for his cowardly infamy.

Consider this, a mercenary knight fighting not for money but rather his country's independence, seriously wounded in the, undregoes amputation (and helps the surgeons by putting candle light to his wounded leg while it is being removed, suffers a few days latter keeping his head high, dies from the wound infection.  His death is monumental that the conquest of Italy by the Holy Roman Empire occurred months after his death.  Tell me, this does not say that Chivalry was alive and well in the Renaissance and how his death impacted his country in a most surprising manner. 

All I can say is that the letter does not disappoint it's reader and I can tell you it an awesome letter, I recommend any one with an interest to order it.  I hope you enjoy this small review of mine.   
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Review of Last Moments of Don Giovanni de Medici PDF
« Reply #1 on: 2012-05-16, 16:23:59 »
I certainly have...and will be reading this at leisure in the near future.  Thank you for sharing it, Sir Joshua.

Update: Order placed!
« Last Edit: 2012-05-16, 16:26:53 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
Re: Review of Last Moments of Don Giovanni de Medici PDF
« Reply #2 on: 2012-05-16, 18:14:52 »
Update: Order placed!

Excellent!  You will not be disappointed Sir William.  ;)
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.