"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
                -- Edmund Burke

Author Topic: Buckler size for short practitioners  (Read 3728 times)

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
Buckler size for short practitioners
« on: 2012-05-04, 15:50:23 »
I have a single problem before I order my own buckler, which size would be appropriate for someone who stands at 5'2"?  I am aware that there are 9", 12" and 15" bucklers out there.

My question is, which size would work for me?
(I will use these as examples)

9 inch

12 inch

15 inch
« Last Edit: 2012-05-04, 15:50:41 by Joshua Santana »
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Buckler size for short practitioners
« Reply #1 on: 2012-05-04, 16:17:25 »

I think it's really a matter of personal preference. I own one that's somewhere in the ballpark of 16 or 18 inches, and while it works, it really gets in the way.

The one I have from MercTailor is considerably smaller. Maybe 10 inches? I can check later. I prefer this one greatly. There are also examples of ones that are much smaller, only enough to cover the hand. I think that's a little too small to do interesting things with it.

Keep in mind that it's not really a "shield" and that you'll be using it more to protect your hands. You want it big enough to protect your sword hand when you put your hands together, but not so big that it gets in the way or prevents some of the grappling moves where you shoot the buckler between or around the other guy's arms.

When they're 15+ inches, they're more like small shields. They have their place, but it's not precisely the same thing, and so you'll have to adjust your technique accordingly.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2012-05-04, 16:42:05 »
I'd go with the 12" ribbed one.

I have fought a guy who was 5'9" with it and he did fine. He also almost broke my arm with it by chop blocking a dagger thrust without much real effort (he wasn't trying to break my arm just stop the dagger, which he did by almost breaking my arm  ;) ).
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2012-05-04, 18:13:02 »
I think it'll come down to personal preference, Sir Joshua.  Mayhap Sir Edward can bring his so you can test them out at VARF?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2012-05-04, 20:26:21 »
I think it's really a matter of personal preference. I own one that's somewhere in the ballpark of 16 or 18 inches, and while it works, it really gets in the way.

The one I have from MercTailor is considerably smaller. Maybe 10 inches? I can check later. I prefer this one greatly. There are also examples of ones that are much smaller, only enough to cover the hand. I think that's a little too small to do interesting things with it.

Keep in mind that it's not really a "shield" and that you'll be using it more to protect your hands. You want it big enough to protect your sword hand when you put your hands together, but not so big that it gets in the way or prevents some of the grappling moves where you shoot the buckler between or around the other guy's arms.

When they're 15+ inches, they're more like small shields. They have their place, but it's not precisely the same thing, and so you'll have to adjust your technique accordingly.

Thank you Sir Edward for your suggestions, I will keep them in mind. 

I'd go with the 12" ribbed one.

Thank you Rautt for the suggestion, that is what I went with originally until I looked at the buckler a bit closer.

I think it'll come down to personal preference, Sir Joshua.

I beginning to see that Sir William, still thank you.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2012-05-04, 20:37:00 »
Apologies to the Knight Commander for volunteering his accoutrements!  :)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2012-05-04, 21:01:49 »
No need for apologies Sir William  ;) I think I'm beginning to find my personal preference for a buckler thank to all of you Sirs.  :D
Knight of The Lion Blade