"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
                -- Edmund Burke

Author Topic: The Point of Honor in the 16th Century  (Read 5798 times)

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
The Point of Honor in the 16th Century
« on: 2012-04-26, 15:07:18 »
Here is a document I have recently read (and reading it again) and it is a great read!

This gives a new fresh perspective on how Honor was viewed in the Renaissance and how Honor as a Virtue is multifaceted.

Hope you enjoy it!

http://hemaalliance.com/?p=1643 
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: The Point of Honor in the 16th Century
« Reply #1 on: 2012-04-26, 15:35:30 »

That could be an interesting read. Tom Leoni did a talk about this subject at WMAW a few years ago and it was fascinating.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #2 on: 2012-04-26, 18:12:20 »
What I can say that it is an amazing read.  The whole crux of it is that in the Renaissance, Italy was the nation in which men discussed in length and detail what Honor is, how it is given, how is it received, how it is tied with a Good Name or Reputation, how Honor can be "wounded" and the ramifications of the Judicial Duel & private affairs of Honor. 

Here is an awesome quote from Aristotle (who is most cited in this reading): "no moral virtue is implanted by nature, but is a result of habit."

Another quote I found was: "Honor is firm as a rock in the essence of every knight, is a state of constant virtue, of never having done or endured any infamy or even any reproach; but of having done, and continuing to do, acts of virtue"  -   Francesco Thonnina, 1557
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2012-04-26, 18:49:11 »
There is also a weird blend of Slavic & Jewish honor that I got raised with that started from Norse concepts of honor from over 1000 years ago that got blended with what came up the Volga trade routes.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2012-04-26, 19:21:41 »
There is also a weird blend of Slavic & Jewish honor that I got raised with that started from Norse concepts of honor from over 1000 years ago that got blended with what came up the Volga trade routes.

Quite an interesting comparison!  We can see how the concept of Honor is a universal concept with every Warrior class in History.  I see this document as one of the many pieces of evidence that Chivalry proved very difficult to die during the Renaissance.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2012-04-26, 19:30:13 »
While all Chivalry has Honor not all Honor is Chivalric, some is even Anti-Chivalric (You were raped?! I MUST burn you alive!).
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2012-04-26, 19:35:35 »
While all Chivalry has Honor not all Honor is Chivalric, some is even Anti-Chivalric (You were raped?! I MUST burn you alive!).

Point well taken, while there is that mentality or interpretation it comes from one's personal beliefs or personal religious zeal which can turn into an evil that you can claim is justified.  In this case this is more discussion oriented, getting our moral beliefs examined and making comparisons.
Knight of The Lion Blade