"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Svante Nilsson sword  (Read 12599 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Svante Nilsson sword
« on: 2008-07-10, 15:51:43 »
Hah, I'm making a huge mistake by reading this thread:

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=7590

It's making me want that sword even more... and with a scabbard... and that's like $5k for both.

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/johnsson/sword-museum-svante.htm

I've wanted this sword ever since I discovered Albion, but it's just so darned expensive!!! There's just something about it that speaks to me.. and then to see people discussing how it handles is just driving me nuts. :)

...someday...

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Svante Nilsson sword
« Reply #1 on: 2008-07-10, 17:04:08 »
U

R

Nuts

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ;)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2008-07-10, 17:35:31 »

Wow, and I didn't realize Albion is currently losing money, even with their current prices:

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=137004#137004

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2008-07-10, 19:53:27 »
I've handled the sword. Holy crap, its nice. If I ever win the lottery, this one's high on the shopping list. :)

The coolest thing about it, to me, is that it is so remarkably close to the original, which is in reasonable condition, right down the the millimeter (hence why its so expensive). The other cool thing about it is that this one is heavy when compared to most contemporary swords... and yet it handles so amazingly well. You wouldn't expect a sword so heavy to feel so lightweight.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2008-07-10, 20:02:27 »

Yeah, the balance is part of the reason I've been drooling over it for so long. I saw a comment in the thread there saying that the numbers make it sound like a boat anchor, but I didn't get that impression at all. 4 lbs is heavy, but with only a 2" center of gravity? And it's hollow-ground? Dang, that'll float in your hand.

The S-guards are nice, but not my favorite. Despite that, this sword is one of the more visually attractive on the market, IMHO.  (I love these long diamond or hollow-ground blades, with long hilts... I want to get the Dane too)

Roll all of that into the fact that it's an accurate repro of a specific sword.. I just want it. And after reading online a little, I want it even more than I did. Arg. I wonder how those payment plans work. :)

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2008-07-11, 20:50:54 »
The balance is definately a large factor. The thing is, though, I normally *hate* two handed swords with such a close balance point. They usually feel clumsy. This one, however, is just right. The maker of the original did a wonderful job of mass distribution and proportion, and combined with the balance, make an incredibly powerful but remarkably fast sword.

But alas, if I were to put that much money towards a single sword, I probably would be purchasing an antique.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #6 on: 2008-07-13, 01:51:47 »
True enough, that's getting into the antique price range. However, as Oakeshott once said, with a reproduction you can truly own it. With a period antique, you're just its caretaker for a while. :)

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2008-07-13, 04:31:28 »
However, as Oakeshott once said, with a reproduction you can truly own it. With a period antique, you're just its caretaker for a while. :)

Very true. For myself, though, if I could afford more antiques, I would be using them for the purpose of educating students. I buy reproductions because I can afford multiple ones that are made with highly accurate representations of certain aspects (such as different blade typologies) and use those to help students understand period weaponry. If I had the choice, they'd all be antiques.

But the Svante is still one that I'd love to own anyway. :)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #8 on: 2008-07-14, 20:48:01 »

Yep, I understand. And using them for educational purposes is really a great idea, I think. There's really nothing better than going "straight to the source", so to speak. Personally, if I bought antiques, it would be for the selfish goal of having a piece of history within my reach, since I'm not a teacher. The closest I'm coming to that currently is a couple of period keys. They're a lot cheaper than period swords. :)

So many swords, so little money! :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2008-07-15, 03:33:41 »
Personally, if I bought antiques, it would be for the selfish goal of having a piece of history within my reach, since I'm not a teacher.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'd still be buying them for me. ;)

But I do like to bring in my antique smallswords whenever I have my rapier students go through a smallsword segment.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #10 on: 2008-07-16, 14:04:12 »
Personally, if I bought antiques, it would be for the selfish goal of having a piece of history within my reach, since I'm not a teacher.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'd still be buying them for me. ;)

But I do like to bring in my antique smallswords whenever I have my rapier students go through a smallsword segment.

I know, you just have more of an excuse than I do, to justify it. :) Having said that, I'd like to get one eventually.

I don't think I've looked at your smallswords. I'll have to see them sometime.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #11 on: 2008-07-16, 16:06:59 »
and i say again

u

r

nuts

Michael Edelson

« Reply #12 on: 2008-07-17, 16:15:20 »
One of my guys has the Svante, and although I like it a lot, I'm not as nuts about it as most you guys seem to be.

First, it's a heavy sword.  A very heavy sword.  When you pick it up and take a few swings, you don't feel it because of the balance, but when you start to work with it, boy do you realize real quick that you can't beat the laws of physics with fancy balancing.  The sword is a beast.

Second, it doesn't cut all that well because of it's thickness.

Other than that, it's a great sword, and wonderful job of recreating the original.  It is more the original I am griping about the Albion.

Now the Brescia Spadona...that is a masterpiece.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #13 on: 2008-07-17, 16:20:38 »
Those are some good points. I haven't tried cutting with it, but then, that's not the entire picture of a sword either.

I recently got the Albion Baron, and it's similar in weight to the Svante, but without the light balancing. Personally, I think it handles quite well for it's mass, even though it's clearly more blade heavy. And it cuts very well.

The Svante strikes me as a better thrusting sword, but I've never handled it. :)

Ah, the Brescia Spadona... that was the one you brought with you to Swordfest, right? I handled it briefly, I recall. Not long enough to get a good feel for it, but I can see why it's so popular. Very nice sword, indeed!

« Last Edit: 2008-07-17, 16:21:11 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Michael Edelson

« Reply #14 on: 2008-07-17, 18:37:55 »
If the Svante is a good thrusting sword, why does it have such a useless tip? :)

I think the reason the Brescia Spadona is such a popular sword is because it is a civilian weapon, a personal weapon made for dueling and other forms of personal combat, whereas the Svante is a war sword, made to survive heavy bashing (at least as far as popular conjecture goes).  The BS is the optimal perosnal weapon...beautifully balanced, light, etc.

When I first picked up the BS I was not impressed with it because I felt nothing...nothing at all.  A few days later, I realized the significance of that.  I felt nothing.  I was holding a sword, but it was like I wasn't.  The sword was an extension of my body.

The only problem with owning the BS is that once you get used to working with it, other swords just won't do.  It makes them seem clumsy.