"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
                -- Mary Pickford

Author Topic: Encampment accessories  (Read 17503 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Encampment accessories
« on: 2012-04-11, 18:15:58 »

So the DoK groun on facebook has me thinking... I really lack a lot of the kinds of accessories that one would need for a decent encampment. Furniture, candle holders, that sort of thing.

I have a 12'x15' panther pavilion, and not a lot else. I have one or two small wooden chests, the kind you might sit on top of a desk to hold quills or candles or something.

To get started, I just got this nice ultra-cheap ebay item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/220987217936

I plan to make a table at some point, and may look into some other furniture options. But I'm also limited by what I can fit into my truck.

What sorts of cheap and easy ideas do you guys have for fleshing out an encampment?

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Encampment accessories
« Reply #1 on: 2012-04-11, 21:27:05 »
most benches/tables/chairs that i know of are all collapsible
need a chest to sit on and hold your stuff. even seen chests that are coolers.
but i would say:
 a bed roll: wool blankets with a linen blanket. and a tick (its a linen or wool sleeping bag that you fill with straw)
a chest
a table
a chair for yourself and one other or a bench.
table cloth w/ long napkins
light source
weapons/armour table/rack/chest/stand not needed but nice.

but most the times i camp as a soldier all i have is straw tick and wool blankets. i throw all my stuff on it and at night i put in a wicker basket and cover the armour with wool to save from the dew.
« Last Edit: 2012-04-11, 21:59:19 by Sir Wolf »

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Last Edit: 2012-04-12, 11:29:16 by Sir Wolf »

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2012-04-12, 01:48:04 »
With my wife joining the 16/17th century group I reenact with, I'm learning quite a bit about cooking and encampment equipment. She's doing a camp follower and will be responsible for cooking and period civillian demos, so she is doing alot of research on food, cooking, sewing, spinning, and other things women did in the camps and in general. So far we have some tableware, pots and other cooking accessories. I'm lacking table, chairs, benches and large tent as I never needed them before. I only recently added an A frame tent to my equipment, since I never really needed one. Now our unit is looking to do events where we will be setting up a camp and staying on site for the weekend, so I thought it prudent to at least have something to sleep in. I also got a couple wool blankets to use to sleep in. This year for School of the Musketeer I'm planning to go immersion, only taking period items to use for the weekend. Past years I've dressed period and used period tableware, but slept in a modern sleeping bag inside the forts casemate. This year I'll use the blankets on a pallet inside the casement. Hopefully I survive this experiment  :-\

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2012-04-12, 15:16:57 »
I am so not ready for this aspect of re-enacting, although I wanna be.

Sir Matthew, just make sure it is understood that she is YOUR camp follower.  ;)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #8 on: 2012-04-12, 17:53:43 »

Yeah, the trestle tables can be exceedingly simple in construction. I plan to make one or two, probably more simplistic than the link above. Perhaps like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Medieval-Design-Trestle-Table-SCA-and-Renasaunce-Camp-/350479517038?pt=Antiques_Furniture&hash=item519a35056e

And a similar end-table:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Convience-coffee-trestle-Table-night-stand-SCA-Medieval-/350494830654?pt=Antiques_Furniture&hash=item519b1eb03e

I figure with some painting and/or staining, they'll look decent enough. However some sort of table cloth or runner might be good.

In the meantime, I also now have some Edward I era coin replicas on the way. I already have some eating gear (wooden bowls, wooden goblet, etc), but I may look into some eating knives.

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2012-04-12, 20:45:17 »
Chamber pots!!!  That's one thing I don't see anyone making allowances for...modern plumbing has made us lazy! lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2012-04-12, 21:22:43 »
I am so not ready for this aspect of re-enacting, although I wanna be.

Sir Matthew, just make sure it is understood that she is YOUR camp follower.  ;)

Of course! She is portraying a German for our Faire season though ??? . There are so many Germans in camp, it's like a tiny part of the Empire has been transplanted in England  :o

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #11 on: 2012-04-12, 22:54:45 »
those linsk r awesome Ed

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2012-04-14, 00:41:58 »
Hmm, I've just got some bare minimum "feast gear". When I get some other non-hobby things handled, I'd like to get some of the bits and pieces, both for "camp", and for normal household use too.

I think a workshop day might be in order. We can chat sunday. I've got what I assume to be everything needed to make the tables relatively easily - table saw, circular saw, jigsaw, drill press, hand drill, chisels, palm sander, grinder - possibly projects for after VARF and before MDRF?
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #13 on: 2012-04-14, 03:12:16 »

Cool, let's talk about that on Sunday. A build-day might be in order.

Also just ordered some lanterns:

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=OB0618&name=Medieval+Lantern
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #14 on: 2012-04-14, 17:07:18 »
Oh, those are pretty. I might have to check them out.