"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
                -- Mary Pickford

Author Topic: shield size?  (Read 6627 times)

ECOX

• Forum Member
  • I'm new here
shield size?
« on: 2012-02-29, 17:30:39 »
I am ordering a shield from Oakheart. I can not decide between the 22x24 or the 22x36 heater. It will have the handles and guige strap. I will only use this for carrying and not reanactment or combat. So it will spend most of it's time on my back. I am thinking the smaller would be better for that purpose, but I do not want it to look undersized when I'm holding it. I'm 6' 240#.
 What is your experiance?
Legonoth, I know you just recieved one from Oakheart, haow is the larger one working for you?

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: shield size?
« Reply #1 on: 2012-02-29, 17:36:19 »
get the bigger one. or else it may look funny like your holding a kiddy version hehehe

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2012-02-29, 18:06:36 »
I had them cut me a special size, 32" x 20"...no additional charge if I recall correctly, and since I got it unedged that  cut down on cost as well.  I find the hose edging to be ugly so I opted not to have it and I think my shield looks much better for it.  The 36" x 24" is standard size for the SCA.

« Last Edit: 2012-02-29, 18:07:21 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #3 on: 2012-03-01, 06:03:43 »
The large one is pretty big, itll be huge on your back, i would say the smaller one, unless your a big guy
Im 6'2 130 pounds, pretty skinny lol
« Last Edit: 2012-03-01, 06:04:40 by Leganoth »

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2012-03-01, 14:26:35 »

Yeah, 24x36 is huge. I forget what my shield is, but I want to say it's something like 22x30.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2012-03-01, 18:32:29 »
For heater style, I want to say the general rule of thumb is the length of your inseam. It should end up where when you're holding it, the curved lower edges of the heater style allow you to move your legs forward in stance without having to raise the shield to "make room" for your leg. This is just general "sword and board" that I've heard, and don't remember from where, so it likely isn't a historical method.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

ECOX

• Forum Member
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: 2012-03-02, 01:22:22 »
Thanks for all your input. I think I shall go with the smaller one. I cut out a couple of cardboard shields during lunch today. I like the bigger size , but I think the smaller will look fine and be more practical for my use.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #7 on: 2012-03-02, 03:48:12 »
Just for reference, I went ahead and measured the one I wear to the renfaires. It's 20x32.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2012-03-02, 05:28:32 »
I got the same shield as Sir Edward, cept a different paint job, I am actually debating on getting a new one thats smaller and has a nicer back strap. Thing is weight is a big thing for me, if they weigh too much I cant use them for fighting that effectively.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2012-03-02, 15:32:50 »
Ulrich, are you referring to the MRL shield you have?  Its rather light weight...maybe if you did some drills with it and got your arm and shoulder (and body) used to hefting the weight, you'd soon forget it, I think.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2012-03-02, 22:14:12 »
Well when I did fighting in this reenactment, they gave me a shield which was too heavy for me, I could barely hold it up after a while of fighting cause my whole arm got tired, yet when they gave me a normal heater I was fine with it. The MRL shield I have is rather good quality apart from the canvas coming off in the back, debating on replacing it cause of that cause I dont want it to come apart.

ECOX

• Forum Member
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: 2012-03-03, 03:07:10 »
The only time I will be holding mine is for posing. For $50 I get it unpainted,with hand straps and strap. But the larger one is only 5 bucks more. I get that man mentality and think bigger is better. The thinking side of me says, all day at the faire and trying to sit with the extra foot to watch a show and to rest, not so good.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #12 on: 2012-03-03, 03:26:57 »

Yeah, bigger isn't always better. It can be counter-intuitive sometimes. Often a smaller buckler works better since it doesn't get in your own way, for instance.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Frater de Beaumanoir

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Romans 13:4
« Reply #13 on: 2012-03-03, 03:51:41 »
Greeting Brother. I know of your plight. I stand at 6'6" and weigh in without maile at 270. The heater I bear is 24" x 28" and looks just fine.

It might be just me but one running in the 28s sounds like a transition from a Kite to a Heater. IMHO.
« Last Edit: 2012-03-03, 03:56:03 by Frater de Beaumanoir »

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2012-03-05, 04:21:06 »
From shoulder point to shoulder point and no longer than your inseam is the best.

-Ivan
Fall down seven, get up eight.