"Honor is like an island, rugged and without a beach; once we have left it, we can never return."
                -- Nicholas Boileau

Author Topic: who are you?  (Read 4214 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
who are you?
« on: 2012-02-27, 03:16:53 »
what knight of old, or mythology character best suits you or who you think you are?

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: who are you?
« Reply #1 on: 2012-02-27, 15:22:49 »

Vlad the Impaler!

lol, just kidding. :)

That's a tough one. I'll have to think on it.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #2 on: 2012-02-27, 20:33:21 »
Oh man, that's a tough question. I will devote some thought to it. I have two main knightly role models, King Richard the Lion-Heart of England, and my patron Saint, St Louis IX of France.

After we select sn identifying character for ourselves, I think it would be intresting to pick ones that we think would suit another of the knights that we know.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2012-02-27, 21:56:10 »
Me? I dont know. I dont really act all too knightly enough to be considered one.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2012-02-27, 23:03:20 »
I would hope to be a bit like Wolf the Quarrelsome but I'm more like a Varangian Guardsman.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2012-02-28, 02:58:51 »
I'm not sure, actually. Is there a european equivalent to Sun Tzu? Strategy and philosophy are pretty big for me.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2012-02-28, 04:29:30 »
You might look up Gonzalo de Cordoba. He was pretty into that kinda thing. I'm sure there's a perfect Marcus Aurelius knight somewhere...  :)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2012-02-29, 18:52:20 »
My general description:

"Hither he came, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his booted and armored feet."

Wish as I might, I can only aspire to the heights of chivalry, but my own internal issues make it damn hard to be chivalrous and upright all of the time.  I settle for fighting injustice, protecting my loved ones, upholding my brethren and not slaughtering innocents or idiots...questionable on the last one.  I doubt there ever was a knight worth knowing or reading about who was as conflicted as I.  I mean one who was not a traitor or knave.
« Last Edit: 2012-03-01, 21:31:27 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2012-03-01, 21:04:26 »
Sir William, I doubt there was ever a knight without some form of conflict, even among the greats.  :)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2012-03-01, 21:32:33 »
You've a point and I understand it - even so.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€