"Our own heart, and not other men's opinion, forms our true honor."
                -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Author Topic: Indoctrinating kids with chivalry  (Read 13805 times)

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

• New Forum Member
  • "Formidable in Defense"
Indoctrinating kids with chivalry
« on: 2012-02-25, 01:50:05 »
When I was a wee lad in the early 80's, my dad got the neighborhood kids together and helped us to create swords out of yard sticks and shields out of wall panelling. My first armory then was emblazoned from "Copper, an eagle displayed Sable." My younger sister's was "Argent, a heart Gules." We weren't too concerned about usurpation of existing arms in those days. We would organize the neighborhood kids into teams and have battles as well as mono y mono duels... amazingly no one ever got hurt. At its height, there were perhaps 8 kids swatting each other with sanded & painted rulers on our block. Later we started jousting with rolled up newspapers on bicycles (without parental observation), however that didn't work out too well and was rather short-lived.

Here then is a photo of a few of us kids.

Anyone have pictures or memories of their youthful experiences swinging mock knightly implements of war at their friends?

Have you encouraged your own kids to engage in such activity?
- Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
of Spokane, Washington

Argent, a nova Sable and on a chief embattled Sable, four novae Argent and a label over all.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Indoctrinating kids with chivalry
« Reply #1 on: 2012-02-25, 03:49:03 »

Wow, that's actually pretty awesome. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #2 on: 2012-02-25, 04:01:32 »
Well, I do have the famous "Page Nathan" picture...
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

ECOX

• Forum Member
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: 2012-02-25, 05:10:42 »
Sir Garrison, That is a awesome picture. I was in my late thirties before ever going to a faire and just started dressing for them a few years ago. We have introduced our adult kids to faires with some success. Our three year old grandchild was over and "Mike the Knight" came on. She called out Huzzah without prompt. I smiled with pride.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: 2012-02-25, 12:57:04 »
Well, I do have the famous "Page Nathan" picture...

This sounds fairly epic... I can only imagine? :D
- Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
of Spokane, Washington

Argent, a nova Sable and on a chief embattled Sable, four novae Argent and a label over all.

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: 2012-02-25, 12:58:53 »
Sir Garrison, That is a awesome picture. I was in my late thirties before ever going to a faire and just started dressing for them a few years ago. We have introduced our adult kids to faires with some success. Our three year old grandchild was over and "Mike the Knight" came on. She called out Huzzah without prompt. I smiled with pride.

There are so many things a three year old child might suprise everyone by shouting; "huzzah" must be by far the absolute best!
- Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
of Spokane, Washington

Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: 2012-02-25, 12:59:37 »

Wow, that's actually pretty awesome. :)

Thankyou Sir Edward!
- Jeffrey Boyd Garrison
of Spokane, Washington

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #7 on: 2012-02-25, 14:00:20 »
Here's the Page Nathan picture...
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #8 on: 2012-02-25, 14:29:23 »
I don't have childhood pictures, since I didn't really do this stuff when I was that young, though the interest was starting to take root. I started playing D&D and fantasy games and the like around the age of 10, and by 13 I had my first "sword" ($20 SLO from an antique shop). It wasn't until high school that I started getting more and better swords, and by then was diving into the role-playing and table-top gaming scene a lot more.

And then Sir Wolf managed to get me hooked on buying armor back in 99. :)

I was about 15 in this picture (1988) below. I'm on the left in the black Halloween costume, with that first sword I bought. I had made a vampire costume for Halloween the previous year and wore the fabric parts to the renfaire. This was outside the front gate at MDRF.

« Last Edit: 2012-02-25, 14:31:09 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2012-02-25, 18:40:44 »
I'll have to dig around at my parents to see if I have any lingering childhood pics. Dad loves cameras, but film was expensive when I was young too. I don't remember my first foray into the medieval except from the story my dad likes to tell. He's a volunteer firefighter, and when I was 3 or 4, he was watching me and he had to respond to a call; so he called another volunteer up the street, who brought his younger brother (12? 14?) down to babysit me so they could go to the fire. Dad had an Atari. So the babysitter got wrapped up in that, while I apparently took the couch cushions to build a castle. Castles need cement, right? I somehow got my hands on baby powder, and had dumped the whole bottle on the cushions to hold my "castle" together. Then dad got back, said something (probably "colorful"), and *then* the babysitter realized what I did. :D

Myself and a friend used to do the wooden sword battles too, and got our start with "armor" out of some discarded carpet and duct tape. That, however, was short-lived. We started on "ninja missions", dressing in all black, and sneaking around our yards at night. Soon, my dad would take me to the MD Renn Fest, where I bought my first legitimate steel sword (blunted for stage combat). And so it truly began - a couple years later, I'd get my first "real" start of armor; 16 gauge mild steel. It was full arms, pauldrons, full legs, and a cuirass, by a company long since out of business. I later lost the cuirass to damage in a small flood in my parents basement (failed sump pump), but the arms and legs were saved after a decent amount of rust removal.

That's awesome that you had heraldry as a kid. I never had anything like that, but I'm the only one in my family with any medieval interests. If I'm lucky enough to have kids, they will go straight from birth to their first mail haubergeon. :D Okay, not really, but I will highly encourage them to take interest in chivalry and the medieval period.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #10 on: 2012-02-25, 21:26:02 »
Dad had an Atari. So the babysitter got wrapped up in that, while I apparently took the couch cushions to build a castle. Castles need cement, right? I somehow got my hands on baby powder, and had dumped the whole bottle on the cushions to hold my "castle" together. Then dad got back, said something (probably "colorful"), and *then* the babysitter realized what I did. :D

Hah! Sounds like something I might have done at that age. I once chased the cat around the entire lower floor with scoops of powdered laundry detergent. Left trails everywhere. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2012-02-25, 23:09:14 »
I watched Excalibur and Robin Hood from a young age and always desired to be a knight. Personally I used to use costume armor and self made cardboard plate armor after my costume armor broke. It worked well but I had few people to play with due to being the target of bullying as a kid thanks to all my role playing which weirded people out. Don't really care cause I always fought back against bullying so it didn't last long, though I still was hated. Then came Zelda and I role played that for long hours with the few friends I had along with my brother. For some reason historical medieval stuff always appealed more to me than fantasy stuff. Later I was given tons of books on medieval arms and armor and generally my interest in it was rather large, mainly due to my WW2 interest being deemed as "unacceptable" by schools as "violent and bad" yet they tolerated medieval stuff which made no sense to me. If only there was LARPing when I was a kid I probably would of had a blast. Age 16 I started my first medieval faire days which were enjoyable but I didnt desire to be a knight as I was too obsessed with celtic/viking stuff at the time. Now I basically do mainly due to my interest in the crusader era.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2012-02-29, 21:54:30 »
My father was never one for flights of fancy; he didn't (and still does not) read and had no interest in such things.  As far as I know, he still doesn't- my guess is, it doesn't make sense to him so he's got no interest.  Ask him anything about cars or boxing and he can enthrall you.   Having said that, I'm really thankful for my Mom- she's the reason the interest started when I was 10; she'd given Bulfinch's Mythology for my 10th birthday; my favorites were the Tales of Charlemagne, and Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.  I used to draw knights fighting on foot (easier than drawing horses, I sucked at animals then, still do) and dream that I could be one of them, but I guess I wasn't creative enough to try my hand at crafting armor or swords of any kind.  I'd usually pick up a stick about the right size and start wacking at stuff but that was the extent of it.  I didn't do Halloween after I turned 14 or 15...was generally discouraged from anything too outrageous.  I would've loved to have been that kid in Role Models but they didn't have anything like that where I grew up.

I have no regrets...I grew up a big enough nerd w/out needing any help.  lol

The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2012-03-01, 00:29:39 »
It really all started for me when I was about 4 or 5 and my mom introduced me to the Hobbit cartoon and the Robin Hood cartoon where Robin Hood is played by a fox!  I got hooked, started watching the cartoons weekly.  I still remember sitting there watching the Hobbit over and over eating nutter butters and drinking cranberry juice (an awesome combination by the way which I will have now 25 years later just for that nostalgic feeling).

We lived in Staten Island, NY, so not too far from the city, and my parents took me to the Met at a young age, and once I saw the Arms and Armor collection there, that's it, I was done... hooked for life!  I'm very thankful that my parents were extremely supportive of my interests and exposed me to a lot of different things when I was kid.

I still know bits and pieces of the Hobbit songs by heart thanks to that cartoon...  'Down down to goblin town!!!' (that one used to scare me, ha!)
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2012-03-01, 01:56:41 »
Ian, was that Robin Hood cartoon a series or a movie? I remember a disney version of Robin Hood where he's played by a fox, and I believe the king is a lion? Maid Marian is another fox, or rabbit, or some kind of animal?
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent