"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
                -- Marcus Aurelius

Author Topic: Arming wear  (Read 11473 times)

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
Arming wear
« on: 2012-02-21, 00:57:34 »
We all have it or need it, so we all know somthing about it.

But anyways, to the real question, where would you get an arming doublet with chainmail built in for plate armor?? I see it often on medieval shows

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Arming wear
« Reply #1 on: 2012-02-21, 01:31:20 »
A lightly to non-padded arming doublet with maille voiders (that's the term for the attached maille) sewn on is a 15th century invention.  14th century would be a padded gambeson with a full separate maille haubergeon worn over the gambeson, and then the plate on top of that.

if you're set on the 15th century doublet with maille voiders, a high quality one can be had here:

http://historicenterprises.com/doublet-arming-15th-century-w-free-arming-coif-p-713.html?cPath=99_112

You would need to select the option of adding voider eyelets.  This will facilitate the lacing on of the voiders.  You can also semi-permanently sew the voiders on, but this makes cleaning the doublet quite a chore.

The voiders themselves can be found here:

http://store.fastcommerce.com/icefalcon/stainless-steel-chainmail-voiders-ff808181179c9ac201179d97dcaa38a8-p.html

An on that very site they show the voiders laced to the Historic Enterprises doublet.  In addition to voiders, this would also be typically worn with a maille fauld, i.e. skirt.

If you're still interested in doing a 14th century kit, this would not be historically accurate.  It would be like a WW2 soldier wearing a modern soldier's MOLLE gear.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2012-02-21, 02:16:11 »
ya the mail is sewn onto the arming jacket. :)

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #3 on: 2012-02-22, 01:34:46 »
Ahh i see, so it is possible/period to wear a hauberk/haubergaben over your gabeson and under plate, thought it wouldnt work cause the chains would mess up strapping, get caught, and or mess with the measurments to your body

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2012-02-22, 02:04:10 »
Ahh i see, so it is possible/period to wear a hauberk/haubergaben over your gabeson and under plate, thought it wouldnt work cause the chains would mess up strapping, get caught, and or mess with the measurments to your body

It works, my avatar photo is plate over a full haubergeon.  The big thing with this though, is you must take measurements or be fitted for your armor OVER the gambeson and maille, or it will never fit right.  If the plate and/or straps are binding on your maille, it's because the plate is not fitted properly.

It will also help a lot to get as good a fit as possible of the maille haubergeon itself, otherwise having tons of excess maille can impede things like arm armor from moving properly.

As far as pointing, I attach my arms directly to the maille itself.  This is also another reason the maille needs to fit well, otherwise the plate will shift around if the haubergeon is allowed to do so.

The leg harness is supported by a separate garment, called a pourpoint.  It supports the weight of your leg armor on the hips.  This prevents the weight of the armor from being transferred to the shoulders which would greatly increase strain and fatigue.  It works by being really tight at the waist.  I use this one:

http://www.revivalclothing.com/14thcenturylinenpourpoint.aspx
My Pinterest

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2012-02-22, 02:19:28 »
Ian covered everything I can think of, and very well. Only addition I have is an alternate arming coat:

http://www.revivalclothing.com/agincourtarmingcotte.aspx

It's currently on sale, for the week. I have one and highly recommend it; however, it's an "alternative" to the gambeson & pourpoint combination, which would be more appropriate for 14th century. I'm suggesting it since it's under the armor and 98% of people wouldn't know to look/ask, it's a cheaper but just as effective option, and if you ever get some 15th century gear too you'll already have the arming garment.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2012-02-22, 18:24:03 »
I thought we weren't supposed to be frequenting this particular vendor...isn't that Brian Price?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #7 on: 2012-02-22, 18:44:51 »

Nope, Revival Clothing is Nicole Allen.

Revival.us is Brian Price.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2012-02-22, 19:00:17 »

Yep. Also, Revival.us was recently purchased by somebody else who "merged" with it. I'm not sure if Price is still associated with it in any way.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2012-02-22, 19:15:08 »
Oh, good.  I think I'd rather go with the arming cotte than my gambeson...it is thick and hot.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #10 on: 2012-02-22, 19:40:15 »

Yep. Also, Revival.us was recently purchased by somebody else who "merged" with it. I'm not sure if Price is still associated with it in any way.

Huh. Yeah, I'd like to find out which way it went. Revival Enterprises was Brian Price's attempt to create an umbrella "Revival" association with different shops, which Revival Clothing originally was going to be a part of, hence the similar names. I'm wondering if Price absorbed Adkins, or the other way around.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

C.J. Stout

« Reply #11 on: 2012-02-22, 19:59:21 »
I believe Price is out of it. I don't know the name of the new owner but his avatar name is Murdoch on the Armour Archive. You may want to look for more info over there.

By the way the arming cotte is great. I have one and love it.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2012-02-22, 20:06:32 »

It works, my avatar photo is plate over a full haubergeon. 

Ian, is that a breastplate, or full cuirass you're wearing over that haubergeon?

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2012-02-22, 21:04:17 »

It works, my avatar photo is plate over a full haubergeon. 

Ian, is that a breastplate, or full cuirass you're wearing over that haubergeon?

That is a reproduction of the Churburg #14 Breastplate, not a full cuirass.  It does provide coverage on my sides, but does not have an associated backplate, nor does it wrap all the way around like the segmented Churburg #13.  Just has criss-cross straps in the back, appropriate for the time.
My Pinterest

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2012-02-22, 21:05:58 »
Ok, good to know.  I'm all over the place w/regard to plate.  Maybe I should just keep it simple and stick with a hauberk with lower arm and leg defenses and call it a day.