"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: Chivalry and Violence in Medieval Europe  (Read 6916 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Chivalry and Violence in Medieval Europe
« on: 2008-06-21, 03:10:23 »

Chivalry and Violence in Medieval Europe
by Richard W. Kaeuper
Oxford University Press
ISBN 0-19-924458-8

I've only read the first chapter so far, but this looks to be a fascinating read. It discusses the dichotomy of chivalry as a set of high ideals, along with the brutality and violence that plagued medieval Europe, and how they interacted.

Chapter 1 begins with a talk about some of the period writings concerning how violence was used to secure and protect the peace, and how many of the stories illustrated a public fear of knights battling amongst themselves and causing collateral damage.

I'm glad I picked this one up. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Chivalry and Violence in Medieval Europe
« Reply #1 on: 2008-06-21, 05:07:10 »
Interesting. I may pick this one up. I'd definately appreciate a review when you're done, particularly on how scholarly it is. Its a subject that can be done really well or terribly, depending on the author. For example, I have the book Gentlemen's Blood by Barbara Holland that is outright terrible. She basically talks about honor as nothing more than an excuse for over-testosteroned men to kill each other for fun, and the book is full of what she seems to think is clever humor. So I'm always a little weary of exactly how much research has gone into these kinds of books, even when they list a ton of sources.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2008-06-21, 14:11:03 »

This one seems very nicely done so far, and well researched. The author also wrote the foreword for the Geffroi de Charney's Book of Knighthood copy that I have, and it contained a lot of interesting insights into the time in which he lived and the context in which he wrote it. It's definitely more scholarly, and in fact starts out deriding other "scholarly" works that look only at one aspect or another, whether it's doing as you mentioned, or going the other way and viewing it only through the rose tinted lenses of the romantic ideal. Instead, the author says that one must look at all of the aspects in order to get a sense of the reality of the period. One must look at how chivalry influenced the violence, and vice versa, and how people managed to uphold the ideals and how they failed, and what those ideals actually might have been.

The first chapter sets the stage pretty well for the state of Europe in the early 12th century, before the notion of chivalry started to really take hold into the forms we're more familiar with.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2008-06-21, 16:57:05 »
Okay, that's sold me. I definately am going to pick up a copy to read.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Griff

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: 2008-07-06, 19:48:23 »
A really scholarly book that you might like Bill is Crescent and Cross by the English writer, academic and scholar Hugh Bicheno. It is a treatise that covers everything and anything related to the battle of Lepanto in 1571, and I mean literally. The book covers the battle like a theatre play, with chapters titled "Props" (for the technology used at the time, like early muskets replacing arquebuses), "Plot" (for events leading up to the battle and the causes, which were a hell of a lot) and "Cast" (many, many people of the age who would have a part to play in the battle of Lepanto...either them or their descendants) among others. The book is really well researched and gives an accurate and unbiased view of the battle and the factions that fought. It's also the first book that gives me a firm understanding of the Ottoman Empire and how it was organized, in comparison with Western states. It also explains how the notion of 'Italy', 'Spain' or 'Germany' was non-existent at the time with great geographical and cultural divides separating the people of said places both culturally and ethnically.

I really recommend it, though the academic speech can be a little too detailed sometimes. It's really like a big old treatise on the Sixteenth Century as a whole.
« Last Edit: 2008-07-06, 19:48:47 by Sir Griff »

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2010-10-13, 20:46:19 »

I didn't get very far in this book before getting distracted and moving on to other things, unfortunately. But what I read seemed informative.

Anyway, I spotted on another forum that the book is available for online reading via google:

http://books.google.com/books?id=67XWQD7rZcoC&lpg=PP1&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2010-10-14, 14:04:21 »
I'll check this out...if its free to read online, I really have NO excuse not to.  Plus, I'm an avid reader by nature...
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2010-10-14, 19:58:58 »

I didn't get very far in this book before getting distracted and moving on to other things, unfortunately. But what I read seemed informative.

Anyway, I spotted on another forum that the book is available for online reading via google:

http://books.google.com/books?id=67XWQD7rZcoC&lpg=PP1&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Excellent find. Now, to figure out how to get a copy for offline viewing on my netbook....
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2010-10-26, 20:12:38 »
I added this and a whole slew of other books you Knights have mentioned in other threads on my Amazon wishlist...it is getting quite long!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€