"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
                -- Edmund Burke

Author Topic: Days of Knights  (Read 96725 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Days of Knights
« Reply #90 on: 2012-07-24, 18:14:20 »
From the FB page:

I was just informed by the local tourism office that the weekend of Days of Knights coincides with Kentucky State University homecoming. This will have no effect on the event except that hotel and motel space will be difficult to find. If you need off-site lodging MAKE RESERVATIONS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, I found out we can arrive thursday and set up, and stay overnight sunday, and leave on monday. I'll be doing that. And no hotel cost. Huzzah!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #91 on: 2012-07-25, 05:53:28 »
I managed to talk my dad into bringing me. He does want to sleep in a hotel though so we gotta rent a room or something. I would of liked to of camped out though but he doesnt want to. I also lack a tent and period bedding as well as mess kit.
Got to know what to buy and how to get it because I got 3 months to prepare for this. Kit wise I think i'm pretty much set with the exception of my gambeson not being a 13th century design and getting a surcoat and maille tailored and mittens.  I dont have any period furniture or eating kit or bowls. I just lack maille chausses and off the rack ones wont fit my stick legs. Guess I aint as prepared as I thought.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #92 on: 2012-07-25, 13:52:46 »
From the FB page:

I was just informed by the local tourism office that the weekend of Days of Knights coincides with Kentucky State University homecoming. This will have no effect on the event except that hotel and motel space will be difficult to find. If you need off-site lodging MAKE RESERVATIONS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, I found out we can arrive thursday and set up, and stay overnight sunday, and leave on monday. I'll be doing that. And no hotel cost. Huzzah!

Good to know. I at least want the room for Thursday and Sunday nights, so I'll reserve it straight through. I can always cancel. Now to see where I put that list that was emailed to me. :)

Also, if you're thinking of coming, that gives us more options for carpooling with Sir Nathan as well. Though I'm not sure what kind of space you'll have for packing up a vehicle, compared to mine.
« Last Edit: 2012-07-25, 14:01:06 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #93 on: 2012-07-25, 14:43:43 »
I managed to talk my dad into bringing me. He does want to sleep in a hotel though so we gotta rent a room or something. I would of liked to of camped out though but he doesnt want to. I also lack a tent and period bedding as well as mess kit.
Got to know what to buy and how to get it because I got 3 months to prepare for this. Kit wise I think i'm pretty much set with the exception of my gambeson not being a 13th century design and getting a surcoat and maille tailored and mittens.  I dont have any period furniture or eating kit or bowls. I just lack maille chausses and off the rack ones wont fit my stick legs. Guess I aint as prepared as I thought.

Try these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEDIEVAL-WARRIOR-Mild-Steel-BUTTED-Leg-CHAINMAIL-Armor-Chain-Mail-Legging-Sca-u-/200788793661?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebff1d93d
If they are too slinky for your thin legs...bind them using 4 chords or laces at varying points on each of your legs til they are secure but not too tight. Tie at upper thigh, just above knee, just below knee, and just above ankle. And try a high-riding harness to your waist belt if those don't work. Also, improvise by adding leg padding as needed.
« Last Edit: 2012-07-25, 20:50:37 by Lord_Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #94 on: 2012-07-25, 17:28:09 »
Also, if you're thinking of coming, that gives us more options for carpooling with Sir Nathan as well. Though I'm not sure what kind of space you'll have for packing up a vehicle, compared to mine.

Let's chat about this offline; I've got some variables I don't know about yet, so, it's complicated, at best.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #95 on: 2012-07-25, 19:33:45 »
How long of a drive are you all looking at?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #96 on: 2012-07-25, 19:52:36 »

It's ~500 miles (488 says the Map of Google), and around 9 hours. I'm figuring 10 or so, including stopping for lunch and gas a couple times (10mpg truck = TERRIBLE at road trips!)

I'm leaving Thursday and coming back Monday, setting a day aside for travel each way. The event itself is Fri-Sun.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #97 on: 2012-07-25, 21:16:39 »
Wow man...not too bad as far as road trips go, but does make for a long day going and coming.  At least you'll not be alone.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #98 on: 2012-07-25, 21:41:21 »

It's ~500 miles (488 says the Map of Google), and around 9 hours. I'm figuring 10 or so, including stopping for lunch and gas a couple times (10mpg truck = TERRIBLE at road trips!)

I'm leaving Thursday and coming back Monday, setting a day aside for travel each way. The event itself is Fri-Sun.

I'm aiming for about the same dates.  From Pensacola I'm looking at about 11-12 hrs to Frankfort, so I need a day on either end.  Are we allowed to camp in modern tents at night as long as we stow them away in the car before the event starts up?  That may be an option for me since I won't have period camping equipment, and will save on hotel costs.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #99 on: 2012-07-25, 22:16:38 »
I'm aiming for about the same dates.  From Pensacola I'm looking at about 11-12 hrs to Frankfort, so I need a day on either end.  Are we allowed to camp in modern tents at night as long as we stow them away in the car before the event starts up?  That may be an option for me since I won't have period camping equipment, and will save on hotel costs.

I think that's fine, but might want to double-check with the folks running it. Usually non-period stuff is OK as long as it's out of view during the day for things like this.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #100 on: 2012-07-26, 12:30:46 »
... though for the combat I'll be dropping to 1370 so I can wear as much nice protective plate as possible...

I've been meaning to ask you Sir Nathan, what weapon do you plan on using?  ???

If you need a rebated arming sword you can borrow mine.

Sir Brian, I plan on using this.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=DSA1533BK&name=Darksword+14th+Centuary+Practice+Sword

If I handle it and I find it unsuitable to use as an arming sword, I may take you up on that offer. Thank you  :)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #101 on: 2012-07-26, 12:35:34 »

I think that's fine, but might want to double-check with the folks running it. Usually non-period stuff is OK as long as it's out of view during the day for things like this.

Yep, I *think* the same, but may want to double-check with them on facebook to be sure.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #102 on: 2012-07-27, 15:25:07 »

I may just plan on camping after all. Here's the hotel list I got:

Fairfield Inn 502-695-8881
Hampton Inn 502-223-7600
Holiday Inn Express 502-352-4650
Days Inn 502-875-2200
Best Western 502-695-6111

The Best Western wasn't picking up the phone when I tried, and I think the Hampton was the only one of the others that still had rooms, but they have a contract with higher rates and charging your card in advance, non-refundable.

If you still want a room, get it NOW. The homecoming event in town has all the places booked up and raising their rates.

I think I'll just camp out now. After 3 days in armor and garb, I expect to need a shower very badly now. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #104 on: 2012-07-27, 22:43:11 »

I may just plan on camping after all. Here's the hotel list I got:

Fairfield Inn 502-695-8881
Hampton Inn 502-223-7600
Holiday Inn Express 502-352-4650
Days Inn 502-875-2200
Best Western 502-695-6111

The Best Western wasn't picking up the phone when I tried, and I think the Hampton was the only one of the others that still had rooms, but they have a contract with higher rates and charging your card in advance, non-refundable.

If you still want a room, get it NOW. The homecoming event in town has all the places booked up and raising their rates.

I think I'll just camp out now. After 3 days in armor and garb, I expect to need a shower very badly now. :)

I'm not sure if I will be able to attend DoK w/ travel etc. Kentucky is far for me. However, for any interested, I might be able to look into timeshare accomodations I have. Resorts beats hotel by far. Give me exact dates & location for DoK & I'll see what I can arrange.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)