"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
                -- Mary Pickford

Author Topic: Plate armor  (Read 15618 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Plate armor
« Reply #15 on: 2012-02-12, 01:48:55 »
hehe u cultist you ;)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2012-02-13, 03:40:43 »
Then again...

If I was going to go for a custom job I would be pestering this absolutely magnificent armorer!  ;)
http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=25

Indeed!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #17 on: 2012-02-13, 04:11:43 »
Add me to the cult of Allan-Armour king!
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #18 on: 2012-02-14, 00:16:33 »
I have a peascod breast and back from Illusion, I can vouch for their work being quality stuff. That being said, I have heard from others it can take a long time to get stuff from them. I ordered mine last year and had it done with a rush completion date, which cost more, but it was finished within that time. I don't believe they offer that on full suits and I think the current estimated completion date for work is Sept. or Oct. I found the communication to be adequate, but I asked alot of questions and sent requests for updates frequently. The responses were always prompt and courteous. They do allow you to put items on "lay away", order and pay for them as you can. They will not start work until the order is at least half or more paid, and complete payment must be recieved before the item is shipped, but if you are ordering a several thousand dollar complete suit that makes it much easier to swallow the cost. I was so pleased with their work that I am considering ordering a gorget from them for the border riever impression I am working on and possibly considering changing from a coat of plate to a globose breastplate from them for the 14th Cent. kit I am working on.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2012-02-14, 14:17:26 »
Sir Matthew, when do we get to see pics?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #20 on: 2012-02-14, 21:12:05 »
So it would probably be easier to get piece by piece because if I am to order a whole suit at once i would be so impatient because i would want it so bad

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #21 on: 2012-02-14, 22:06:01 »
You may want to do the math if money is an issue. Its not entirely uncommon to sell whole rigs at a discount due to the volume of the order so you may be paying more by pieceing it out from Illusions than doing it as a whole harness. I don't know if Scott does this but the parts for that suit are on the site so calculating it out shouldn't be to tough.

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #22 on: 2012-02-15, 02:41:11 »
This is what they said (copy and p[aste)

Greetings,

I am happy to give you those prices. I'm using an insert from our web page to make it a little easier for me, so I hope you don't mind.

14th Century   

Steel

1 Gorget w/ Floating Collar   

1 14th Century Breast & Back with Faulds   

1 Pr 14th Century Spaulders   

1 Pr 14th Century Arms   

1 Pr 14th Century Legs   

1 Pr Floating Greaves   

1 Pr Munition Mitten Gauntlets   

1 Pr Sabatons with Open Heel   

Total

Discount

TOTAL w/ discount

(Shipping + $70 Strapping + $350)       

Since most of the armor we make is for combat sports, we do ask that you send us your measurements because we fit all our armor to the person. When using armor for combat, it needs to fit and work properly. We have a measurement chart on our ordering page, and you only need to fill in the measurements for the items you are purchasing, however we will need height and weight for all items.

If you are looking for a display sized suit, you don't have to send measurements because we can make an averaged sized suit and send it to you. We are happy to work with you in whatever way works best for your needs.

You can order the suit however you'd like, but it will help you to know that we are currently scheduling orders for completion in October 2012. If you order the full suit all at once, we offer a discount. If you order the items one at a time, you don't receive the discount. If you are in a hurry for the armor, you can use our "Rush Order" policy located on our INFO page, but it is pretty expensive.

We have a couple of different types of payment plans you can use:

The first is our standard method of payment where you send a 50 percent down payment and you pay the balance due after we have completed the order.

The second method of payment is our layaway plan.  Layaway requires a 20 percent down payment.  You then make payments on your own schedule until it is paid off.  We do require you that the order has a full 50 percent payment made by the time we start work on the order which is approximately 4 to 6 weeks before the assigned completion date.  If we have not received a full 1/2 down payment by one month prior to the completion date, we will not start on the order and we will reassign the completion date.  We do not send out bills requesting you to pay, however we do send you an invoice for each payment we receive so you have a running total for your records. 

If there's anything else I can do for you please let me know. I am always more than happy to answer any and all questions you might have.
Thank you,
Lynette Martin
www.illusionarmoring.com

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2012-02-15, 11:43:53 »
Just so you're aware, mitten gauntlets and gorgets are not really authtentic for late 14th century armor.  They're including them because gorgets are generally a requirement for the combat sports they're referring to, and mitten gauntlets are also easier to make 'legal' for things like SCA combat.

Authentic armor for the time would have hourglass finger gauntlets, and if you were a less wealthy knight, perhaps wisby style finger gauntlets. Neck protection would be a maille aventail, not a gorget.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what they mean by floating greaves, but fully enclosed cased greaves are the norm by this time, but that's probably a little flexible depending on your knight's means.
« Last Edit: 2012-02-15, 11:45:25 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #24 on: 2012-02-15, 12:34:36 »
If you order the full suit all at once, we offer a discount. If you order the items one at a time, you don't receive the discount.

This is kida what I figured. We used to do it, I believe ICE does, when there were more shopes around there were some others that did.

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #25 on: 2012-02-16, 05:45:56 »
Just so you're aware, mitten gauntlets and gorgets are not really authtentic for late 14th century armor.  They're including them because gorgets are generally a requirement for the combat sports they're referring to, and mitten gauntlets are also easier to make 'legal' for things like SCA combat.

Authentic armor for the time would have hourglass finger gauntlets, and if you were a less wealthy knight, perhaps wisby style finger gauntlets. Neck protection would be a maille aventail, not a gorget.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what they mean by floating greaves, but fully enclosed cased greaves are the norm by this time, but that's probably a little flexible depending on your knight's means.

Yeah i dont want mittens i want 14th cent gauntlets. I also would want fully encased greaves so Im gonna reply and say that

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #26 on: 2012-02-16, 06:02:51 »
also, off topic a bit but would it be logical to put in strapping in your helmet to go under your chin so your helm doesnt fall off

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #27 on: 2012-02-16, 11:04:27 »
Sir Matthew, when do we get to see pics?

I think I posted some of my peascod, I'll have to add some to my knight page. I don't have enough or really anything for my 14th Century kit yet. It's still in the planning stages, seems like it has been forever. Someday I'll finish my 16th/17th century stuff and move on to this. Or win the lotter or get a huge inheritance and be able to afford to finish both  ::)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 2012-02-16, 13:25:58 »
also, off topic a bit but would it be logical to put in strapping in your helmet to go under your chin so your helm doesnt fall off

As far as I know a simple chin strap is period correct.  Things like the SCA require very specific types of chin straps to by fighting legal, but if this isn't a concern, a normal leather strap with period buckle would be fine.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

C.J. Stout

« Reply #29 on: 2012-02-22, 19:12:26 »
Hello I'm new here but have some recent experience with Illusion. I ordered a full harness of their Burgundian Gothic in stainless. The communications were pretty good with only a few delays and the product is great. The only problem I had was the visor on the helm was incorrect. This was quickly remedied and now I have two visors. The waiting period was eleven months though. All in all I am very happy.