"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
                -- Edmund Burke

Author Topic: Learning Italian longswording!  (Read 5531 times)

merc3065

• Forum Member
Learning Italian longswording!
« on: 2012-01-10, 19:26:50 »
First class last night learning about Italian long swording.  It seems so awkward in comparison to English back swording but much more fluid.  You actually stand and move a lot more fluidly as well.

Learned 4 guards and 8 basic cuts.  Well on our way to 1000 cuts before light sparring.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Learning Italian longswording!
« Reply #1 on: 2012-01-10, 21:28:53 »
Awesome...I am not familiar with 'English backswording' (actually, that is the first I have ever heard the term) but if it makes use of a backsword (single edge, thick spine, hence the name) then I can see how the difference would be easily seen.  Basic fighting style notwithstanding, the longsword technique is fluid and dynamic- having been in use for civilian dueling moreso than battlefield work...my class should start sometime in March.  Would've started last weekend but I have a nagging injury that precludes any sort of sword-work. 

Congrats...keep us posted as to progress!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

merc3065

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: 2012-01-12, 20:31:00 »
George Silver has a manuscript in which he takes a stab at the fencing crowd since it was the vogue thing to do at the time of writing.
It was later annotated by a British officer in the 1800s for training in the Boer war (officers of course).

http://www.sirwilliamhope.org/Library/Silver/MattheyWorksofGeorgeSilver.pdf  This is the link to the PDF that is on the web.

It's a back sword that you use, as you've described.  The Backswording is all about getting "bloods" where you crack your opponents skull open 3" in size to win the bout.  Or, less painful, 3 head shots on the top of the head while wearing a proper saber mask.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2012-01-13, 17:29:54 »
George Silver has a manuscript in which he takes a stab at the fencing crowd since it was the vogue thing to do at the time of writing.
It was later annotated by a British officer in the 1800s for training in the Boer war (officers of course).

http://www.sirwilliamhope.org/Library/Silver/MattheyWorksofGeorgeSilver.pdf  This is the link to the PDF that is on the web.

It's a back sword that you use, as you've described.  The Backswording is all about getting "bloods" where you crack your opponents skull open 3" in size to win the bout.  Or, less painful, 3 head shots on the top of the head while wearing a proper saber mask.

I laughed quite a bit at the bolded part. Nice pun!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #4 on: 2012-01-23, 15:02:18 »
This is excellent!

I encourage you to continue in your training in the Italian Medieval Martial Arts (or Armizare as it is referenced).

I myself and training in the Kunst des Fechtens or German Medieval Martial Arts and would love to train in Armizare when I am ready.

Concerning the term "backswording", I believe you must have meant "English Backsword" Fencing, which is an English Martial Arts developed in England during the late Reniassance and the early 1700's.  This Art was made popular by English Fencing Master George Silver (yes the Gentleman who rips Italian Rapier Fencing Apart in his treatisie).

http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/George_Silver
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

merc3065

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: 2012-01-24, 13:22:48 »
Yep, that's the one.

Our group used English backsword as a foundation class to build everything else off of as most if not all the footwork, cuts, guards are similar if not the same.

Learned 8 un-armoured guards, 8 cuts and 1 thrust so far.
Next week (I'm not going to be there) we're learning the parries to the basic cuts.

I have to say though, I like the Italian long sword much more than I like the English backsword.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #6 on: 2012-01-28, 22:37:51 »
Our group used English backsword as a foundation class to build everything else off of as most if not all the footwork, cuts, guards are similar if not the same.

Quite interesting.

Learned 8 un-armoured guards, 8 cuts and 1 thrust so far.
Next week (I'm not going to be there) we're learning the parries to the basic cuts.

I have to say though, I like the Italian long sword much more than I like the English backsword.

That is good, keep up with the training!
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.