"He is victorious who knows when and when not to fight."
                -- Sun Tzu

Author Topic: newly tailored maille coif  (Read 8902 times)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
newly tailored maille coif
« on: 2012-01-01, 23:12:44 »
Here's my maille coif, which I have just recently tailored, taking it from the "maille bag with facehole" form to one that actually contours to the head, and fits closely to it. It feels much better to wear now, and looks much more historical.
The most difficult part was making it fit close around the chin area. There are also to leather cords, one to keep the maille upon the head when leaning over, the other for making it contour to the neck.
Enjoy!
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: newly tailored maille coif
« Reply #1 on: 2012-01-01, 23:13:33 »
one more. Detailing the chin part.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2012-01-02, 17:07:47 »
Very well done!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2012-01-02, 17:20:48 »
Thanks Sir James, I'm really happywith how it turned out.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #4 on: 2012-01-02, 18:21:30 »
i see what you were going for :) the problem with the actual coif is the lack of expanding rows. every 3rd ring there should be a 4th etc in the places you want it to expand correctly. i miss mu old red dwarf coifs, they were made perfectly

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2012-01-02, 23:45:04 »
Expanding rows, Sir Wolf?

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2012-01-03, 00:43:29 »
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trevor.barker/farisles/guilds/armour/mail.htm about half way down. mail is tailored when it's made. butted mail can easily be taken all apart and redone right.

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #7 on: 2012-01-03, 12:51:30 »
Nathan, if you look at a simple sheet of maille, say 8" x8" with the exception of the rings around the four outter edges ( which will only be attached to three other rings ) all the rings in the sheet will be attached to four other rings, two in the row above and two in the row below. In an expanding row, while you will still attach the rings to two rings in the row above, when installing the next row below you will attach three rings ( how much you grow or expand you pattern will depend on the frequency of rings with three rings attached at the bottom, every ring will make for big expansion, every other a bit less, every 3rd or 4th less ect. still depending on how much you need to add ) thus adding a ring into the count every time you do it and the row below it will thus be that much farther around as well ( this can be done in reverse, you can have rings go through three rather than two rings in the row above them thus reducing your count ).

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #8 on: 2012-01-03, 15:22:14 »
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trevor.barker/farisles/guilds/armour/mail.htm about half way down. mail is tailored when it's made. butted mail can easily be taken all apart and redone right.

I actually made a butted coif using these instructions a few months ago (as a placeholder/learning experience).  Fits just right!  I wish I had the patience to make all my maille (rivetted of course!), because you really have a lot more freedom to tailor it just right.
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #9 on: 2012-01-03, 16:32:10 »

Expansion rings are great, but if you're tailoring existing mail, you'd have to practically start over to do them. With those expansion rings inline with the pattern, you don't see "edges" where the pattern angle changes. It'll be invisible.

But like I said, you'd pretty much have to start from scratch to do them, since they need to be interspersed throughout the pattern.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2012-01-04, 00:59:16 »
Yeah, That would be kinda labour-intensive  :o 

I think I might see about taking the chin and side parts into a ventail, so that I could pull it down.

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #11 on: 2012-01-05, 01:44:02 »
From your pictures, it looks like you're actually trying to take the slack out.  If that's the case, your want to add contractions (the opposite of expansions).  It may be possible to undo a few rows here and there (say where the "cap" attaches to the "face/head", and just under the chin), and put the contractions in without it being noticeable.  The following link illustrates how to add in expansions (just do the opposite to contract).  As you can see, you don't have to take out a lot of rows to make the adjustments.

http://www.bladeturner.com/pattern/bmantle/bmantle.html
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2014-02-06, 16:29:45 »
Sir Nathan, did you ever build your ventail and if so, do you have pics? 
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #13 on: 2014-02-06, 23:07:53 »
I actually got a riveted flat ring coif which I added a ventaille to. Check it out.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #14 on: 2014-02-07, 00:29:56 »
sexy