"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: Badly Tempered Spear Head.  (Read 3060 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Badly Tempered Spear Head.
« on: 2011-12-20, 00:39:39 »
What happens when a spear is badly made. This is after one unarmoured low intensity sparring session.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.307787212594260.76071.100000889510293&type=1&l=3d33f36dd6

Fall down seven, get up eight.

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
Re: Badly Tempered Spear Head.
« Reply #1 on: 2011-12-20, 12:59:57 »
That is where the head was welded to the socket, or in other words the weld broke. Historically the pole arm/spear head and socket were either A) forged from a single piece or B) less often the head was forge welded to the socket. Either way is different from how this spear head was made. Forge welding is a different animal from modern electric welding or acyetelene brazing/welding. In forge welding you are taking iron of steel to a nearly liquid state in an intense forge heat and and using hammer force welding the iron or steel to itself. In electric or acytelene welding your using another metal ( often a bit harder than the steel its bonding ) to join the two pieces. With modern welding if somethings going to break its going to be at the weld. Modern welds are very, very strong and do not often break but are still not the same as forge welds bonding steel to itself on a molecular and homgeneous level ( no intermediary metal as a bond ).

If you've recently purchased this and have retained proof of purchase see if the point of purchase will replace or refund. I don't know if the spear is an MRL but to the best of my knowledge they would replace pretty much no questions asked or at least used to.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2011-12-20, 17:42:14 »
Ivan, where'd you get that spear from?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-12-20, 19:27:47 »
I got this from Kult Of Athena. It was the $35 Large Spear Head. I sent off the pics to them yesterday.

Someday I would really like to forge my very own spear head.

-Ivan
« Last Edit: 2011-12-20, 19:28:57 by RauttSkegg »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-12-22, 02:19:51 »
I was going to say that perhaps with some anger management, the spear head would improve it's temper. I don't think that will help for that one.

I've heard nothing but great things about the KOA return policy. Let us know how it goes.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent