"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: This .. is .. Sparta! 14th Century Mafia style...  (Read 8627 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
This .. is .. Sparta! 14th Century Mafia style...
« on: 2011-12-04, 07:28:06 »
Talk about a serious bell-ringing! I'd *really* like to know where/what this is - I'm betting it's in Europe somewhere. The video URL says LARP - it's definitely not. Wow!

http://www.break.com/index/larp-sparta-kick-2243803
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: This .. is .. Sparta! 14th Century Mafia style...
« Reply #1 on: 2011-12-04, 21:41:54 »
I heard it was a practice for 'The Battle Of Nations'.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #2 on: 2011-12-06, 03:36:52 »
Sheez. Those freaking idiots. All it's gonna take is one guy getting seriously hurt to incriminate all of us  >:(
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-12-06, 06:52:43 »
So I checked.

It is practice for The Battle Of Nations (http://battleofthenations.com.ua/) which is held in Khotyn, Ukraine.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-12-06, 19:59:32 »
So I checked.

It is practice for The Battle Of Nations (http://battleofthenations.com.ua/) which is held in Khotyn, Ukraine.

Cool, how'd you find out the video is from there? I've seen a bit about the Battle of Nations, but I've never seen somebody take a kick to the head like that before, even in the rebated steel fights. That just screams broken neck / whiplash / head injury to take a head-snapping side shot like that.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-12-06, 20:05:52 »
I saw that...I think the guy who got leveled could be allowed to feel some kind of way about that.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2011-12-06, 22:39:58 »
A guy on the Armour Archive from Italy named Signo posted that it was BotN practice.

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=142795&p=2141275&hilit=this+is+sparta#p2141275
« Last Edit: 2011-12-06, 22:40:21 by RauttSkegg »

James Barker

• Forum Member
    • Historic Life
« Reply #7 on: 2011-12-07, 17:30:12 »
I don't see why a kick to the head in armor is any different than one in a martial art. MMA and even Olympic style TDA has plenty worse than that.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2011-12-07, 22:01:12 »
I could see if there was some technique involved, but this guy just came around the backside and laid into the guy who appeared to be fencing with someone else- not to mention, when you only have one foot on the ground, a quick opponent could turn that against you.  I guess that's kind of the point but I cannot recall having seen such a thing in the videos and clips I've watched over the years.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

James Barker

• Forum Member
    • Historic Life
« Reply #9 on: 2011-12-09, 12:37:36 »
Having started TDK at age 9 and having done BJJ I can tell you no one in those sports are holding back and they know how to hit and kick harder than what I saw in this video. I have browned out sparing before.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #10 on: 2011-12-09, 12:46:11 »
james likes sports where its not gay unless you look into there eyes hahahaha

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2011-12-11, 06:50:57 »
I don't see why a kick to the head in armor is any different than one in a martial art. MMA and even Olympic style TDA has plenty worse than that.

I'm thinking the extra trauma/force/weight of the ~10 pound helmet would make it less fun than regular martial arts since your neck is going to be stopping the inertia of the added weight. I've been kicked in the head in karate, it wasn't fun, but it wasn't nearly as painful as that video looked - it's hard to say based on just the video, but I don't think I'd want one of those shots for "fun".

James Barker

• Forum Member
    • Historic Life
« Reply #12 on: 2011-12-12, 15:43:46 »
Maybe maybe not. The weight of a helmet will reduce the likelihood of black or brown outs as the head will not move as easy with the added weight where as it may strain the mussel more with the added weight, which is worse which is better? It is all a judgment call.

I really cannot see how this is worse than watching MMA. I have see knock outs, people covered in blood, broken limbs, ect in MMA. In both cases people have chosen to play the sport/game as it is set up.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2011-12-12, 17:10:41 »
In martial arts where striking is the order of the day, you prepare for that- you expect it.  Let's take boxing for instance...as I have a long history of exposure to it; when I get in a ring, I know what to expect.  Now, if you put a kickfighter in the ring with me, and I'm used to fighting by boxing rules, I'm going to be unprepared for a kick should he decide to throw one.

I was surprised to see that kick performed and landed; I guess because I was not prepared for something like that.  I also cannot recall such a maneuver in the dozens of SCA vids I'd ever seen.  I don't know much about BotN or its ruleset so my comment was strictly based on the video provided.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2011-12-12, 17:49:40 »
In MMA, a 3rd dude doesn't run out from behind you and kick you in the back of the head when you're fighting someone else though.  I think that was a total cheap shot any way you slice it.  It all just depends on their ruleset.  All's fair as the saying goes...

In a real war, sure that's a great tactic, take out the guy who's wholly occupied fighting someone else, but in BotN practice, you probably shouldn't try to injure your teammates to get a 'kill'.  Let's face it, the object of BotN is not to kill or maim your opponent.  And please excuse the broad generalization here, but a lot of SCA / BotN / WMA / .... etc fighters are not exactly in peak physical condition like a professional MMA fighter (but that's another discussion  :o )
« Last Edit: 2011-12-12, 17:50:20 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum