"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: Helmet plumes  (Read 14539 times)

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
Helmet plumes
« on: 2011-10-08, 21:03:41 »
How do you plume a helmet? I want to plume my great helm but what holds the plumes and where can you buy plumes?

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
Re: Helmet plumes
« Reply #1 on: 2011-10-10, 19:26:58 »
Hi Leganoth.
They are really easy to make.
Follow this thread on our living history forum. There is a photograph of a plume holder just over half way down. I have one of these that I wear on my Houndskull bascinet.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150421867277573&set=a.10150421861597573.399386.687517572&type=3&theater
G.

"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #2 on: 2011-10-10, 22:21:54 »
Hi Leganoth.
They are really easy to make.
Follow this thread on our living history forum. There is a photograph of a plume holder just over half way down. I have one of these that I wear on my Houndskull bascinet.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150421867277573&set=a.10150421861597573.399386.687517572&type=3&theater
G.
What did you use to hold the plume? I can see it but not make out what it is

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #3 on: 2011-10-10, 22:39:13 »
The plume is held into the holder with wax,( or blue tack for a quick solution) the plume holder would usually be attached to the helm using rivets, but I choose to tie it on with thonging so I can remove it easily.
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #4 on: 2011-10-11, 02:05:23 »
is there any skill to making the holder? Can you post a close up picture or alternative ways to attatch them?

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #5 on: 2011-10-11, 21:51:50 »
I doubt that making one of these holders would be beyond the skill of a man of your calibre.
There are some ideas, and instructions, in that thread from the Living History forum that I posted the link to for you.
Photographs as requested can be found here;

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/JOBO_028/Tournament%20Helmet/
I hope these help.
G.

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #6 on: 2011-10-11, 23:41:24 »
I doubt that making one of these holders would be beyond the skill of a man of your calibre.
There are some ideas, and instructions, in that thread from the Living History forum that I posted the link to for you.
Photographs as requested can be found here;

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/JOBO_028/Tournament%20Helmet/
I hope these help.
G.

Odd, I never got a link to the forum, just a link to the facebook picture.

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #7 on: 2011-10-12, 06:45:35 »
Ok ok, try www.livinghistory.co.uk  then go to forums, then go to the medieval threads and look for a thread that mentions plumes. If you still have no luck I will post a link later when I get in from work.  None the less I hope the information, photographs and effort is usefull and appreciated.
G.
« Last Edit: 2011-10-12, 16:26:19 by Sir Gerard de Rodes »

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2011-10-12, 14:38:14 »
Leg, try this link:  http://www.livinghistory.co.uk - that might work out better.   ;)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #9 on: 2011-10-12, 16:25:02 »
Thanks Sir William, my fingers don`t seen to be the right size to operate the keys on my phone  ::)

At last, here is the thread anyway;
http://livinghistory.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22233&hilit=plume+holder
G.

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #10 on: 2011-10-12, 17:44:11 »
Oh god I don't think I have the skillnto make that and rivet it into my helm :/

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2011-10-12, 19:00:59 »
It looks like Chris Anson can make them...then you'd just have to get it riveted onto your helm.  There are at least two of our fellow knights who have the required skill to pull that off...you just need to meet up w/them at some point so it can happen.

I hadn't really given a plume much thought...but it would look sorta cool.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #12 on: 2011-10-12, 23:25:05 »
It looks like Chris Anson can make them...then you'd just have to get it riveted onto your helm.  There are at least two of our fellow knights who have the required skill to pull that off...you just need to meet up w/them at some point so it can happen.

I hadn't really given a plume much thought...but it would look sorta cool.

Yeah i wouldnt know how to do riveting and i dont want to mess my helm up

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2011-10-15, 01:22:00 »
If you want a cheap and easy way to rivet the holder to the helm, it's just drilling 2 holes then using "speed rivets", which are small rivets that you attach with a little rivet gun. You can pick up the gun & some misc starter rivets for around $15.

I haven't really seen much of any plumes pre 15th-ish century, I think the torse and mantle is more appropriate to the earlier periods, if that's of any concern.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #14 on: 2011-10-15, 15:18:14 »
If you want a cheap and easy way to rivet the holder to the helm, it's just drilling 2 holes then using "speed rivets", which are small rivets that you attach with a little rivet gun. You can pick up the gun & some misc starter rivets for around $15.

I haven't really seen much of any plumes pre 15th-ish century, I think the torse and mantle is more appropriate to the earlier periods, if that's of any concern.

Alot of the illustrations in the 14th century manuscript, Guiron le Courtois c. 1370-1380, have knights with feathers as their crests, or at least part of.
This is about the clearest pictoral evidence for the use of plumes in the 14th century;
http://visualiseur.bnf.fr/ConsulterElementNum?O=IFN-08100550&E=JPEG&Deb=45&Fin=45&Param=C

Or here`s another in a manuscript with several Arthurian stories, c. 1380-1385
 http://visualiseur.bnf.fr/ConsulterElementNum?O=IFN-08100550&E=JPEG&Deb=45&Fin=45&Param=C

G.
« Last Edit: 2011-10-15, 15:20:28 by Sir Gerard de Rodes »