"He that respects himself is safe from others; he wears a coat of mail that none can pierce."
                -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Author Topic: Long list of my buys to come  (Read 6968 times)

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
Long list of my buys to come
« on: 2011-09-27, 02:53:52 »

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Long list of my buys to come
« Reply #1 on: 2011-09-27, 18:55:51 »
Allan at MercTailor just closed his business today. You'll need to find substitutions for those items. :(
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #2 on: 2011-09-28, 02:23:15 »
WHAT ARE U SERIOUS D:

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-09-28, 18:21:17 »
Yes, it was posted on FB, which was then posted on AA where I caught it and was going to post it here but someone beat me to it.  Also, and this is just my opinion, but the new mercenary and drake lines that are being put out by the likes of Medieval Collectibles has to be some of the ugliest armor I've ever seen.  I cannot attest to its durability, but I know I wouldn't be caught dead wearing it.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #4 on: 2011-09-28, 22:13:31 »
Yes, it was posted on FB, which was then posted on AA where I caught it and was going to post it here but someone beat me to it.  Also, and this is just my opinion, but the new mercenary and drake lines that are being put out by the likes of Medieval Collectibles has to be some of the ugliest armor I've ever seen.  I cannot attest to its durability, but I know I wouldn't be caught dead wearing it.

yes the drake armor is ugly but im getting merc chest and tassets lol, it goes with the look im getting though

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2011-09-28, 23:03:56 »
In general what I have seen first had of the Medieval Collectables line of armors leaves much to be desired. It looks fine, but I would never let anyone hit me while I was wearing it. I have no qualms at all about letting people hit, punch, even kick my Illusion Armory breast and back or the Brigandine because they are well made and durable. What I have seen first hand from MC is not up to that level of abuse.

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #6 on: 2011-09-29, 00:56:28 »
In general what I have seen first had of the Medieval Collectables line of armors leaves much to be desired. It looks fine, but I would never let anyone hit me while I was wearing it. I have no qualms at all about letting people hit, punch, even kick my Illusion Armory breast and back or the Brigandine because they are well made and durable. What I have seen first hand from MC is not up to that level of abuse.

I dont have the money for fully functional armor so i have to make due with this

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2011-10-04, 21:12:57 »
My next buy is a one-piece hilt & dane axe from By My Hand Designs myself.

Armour wise I'm looking to an aventail from Master Knuut & a pair of wisby style finger gauntlets, or finger mittens, at some point.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2011-10-04, 22:06:22 »
Actually you could go with this armory http://illusionarmoring.com/ and it will both be cheap and functional as well as custom sized. Ill fitting plate armor is a PAIN to use and I'm sure this stuff would work better.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #9 on: 2011-10-05, 02:14:37 »
Actually you could go with this armory http://illusionarmoring.com/ and it will both be cheap and functional as well as custom sized. Ill fitting plate armor is a PAIN to use and I'm sure this stuff would work better.

Illusion does make good armour, but be prepared to wait.  They will not make the first deadline, nor the third, but you will get a quality piece in the end.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2011-10-05, 03:45:19 »
I agree they make good armor, my breast and back came from them. They did meet my deadline, and I even had a rush order. I found them to be a pleasure to deal with and communication was excellent. I was well informed on what was going on with my armor and questions or concerns were quickly dealt with. The wait time on a standard (non rush) order is very long and I did see on their website they are not taking custom work at this time. All their armor is custom fitted to the measurements provided by the orderer, however.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #11 on: 2011-10-05, 14:45:32 »
I agree they make good armor, my breast and back came from them. They did meet my deadline, and I even had a rush order. I found them to be a pleasure to deal with and communication was excellent. I was well informed on what was going on with my armor and questions or concerns were quickly dealt with. The wait time on a standard (non rush) order is very long and I did see on their website they are not taking custom work at this time. All their armor is custom fitted to the measurements provided by the orderer, however.

When did you purchase the breast & back?  My two Illusion purchases were in 2008 (greaves) and 2010 (sabatons) and both arrived months after the original estimate.

I want to reiterate that, in my experience, Illusion does make a quality product and they do respond to emails in a few business days.

Here's a review I wrote a while back: Illusion Armoring Sabatons, a mini-review
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2011-10-06, 22:48:03 »
My Breast and Back was ordered in May with a rush delivery for July and I recieved it the end of July. It actually shipped two days after the scheduled shipping date, but that was because the scheduled shipping day was a Sat., they sent it out that Mon.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2011-10-07, 20:10:06 »
I've heard Illusion has substantial wait/late times too. I've seen a few posts where things are months, and in one case, over a year, past due. I've never seen anyone complain about the quality of the work, though, and as expected, being hand-made and custom isn't the fastest turnaround time. I would go with them over the generic indian-made armor from Medieval Collectibles; it's not anything against MC, I bought my entire soft kit from them, but armor is completely different.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #14 on: 2011-10-07, 22:03:10 »
i had the same issue YEARS ago though. 1 shield boss took over a year to get. it was nice but a year for a boss?