"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
                -- Ernest Hemingway

Author Topic: Ever had a really good idea....(Aspeger's Syndrome)  (Read 4155 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
....but no one to ask about it?

(following is as it was explained to me by folks with letters behind their name, and my memory may be faulty):

This is about the Aspergers brain and it's issues with sesory perception, integration, and overload.

Some of it is about having more acute senses but a lot of it is about not having good enough filters on the senses we already have so all of it comes in at somewhat of the same level. You hear/feel/taste/smell/see what we do your brain just edits it out or ignores it.

We can't.

I have recently had a thought that this may also have a link to the bad motor control aspect of Aspergers. As you know there is really around 7+ senses and not 5 . Well if the filters on the Vestibular & Kinesthetic sense are not functional, as they aren't in the Asperger's brain, then maybe the percieved issues with body control are not an issue of ability to control but of position & movement data flow. We have a motor cortex that CAN work, it just doesn't have the ability to get good data to work WELL. Perhaps this is also the reason for the social blindness. We initially receive the cues, and the brain could process them (with the empathy that comes along) but they get lost and/or messed up with the middle man and his sh** filters.

Thoughts?

Sensory Problems and Autism

Bright Lights, Loud Noises

Sense

-Ivan

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Re: Ever had a really good idea....(Aspeger's Syndrome)
« Reply #1 on: 2011-09-13, 13:11:16 »
Quote from: Ivan (RauttSkegg)
... then maybe the percieved issues with body control are not an issue of ability to control but of position & movement data flow. We have a motor cortex that CAN work, it just doesn't have the ability to get good data to work WELL. Perhaps this is also the reason for the social blindness. We initially receive the cues, and the brain could process them (with the empathy that comes along) but they get lost and/or messed up with the middle man and his sh** filters.

This is an interesting theory, and one that I believe has validity.  As you know, my best friend of 40+ years has Asperger’s and your statement describes him to a "T".  His actions and words (or lack thereof) are sometimes seen as uncaring/hurtful/oblivious by others who don't know better.

As a friend, I stopped defending him and his actions/inactions years ago and now simply tell people "that's the way he's put together".  Accept it or not, it really doesn't matter.  He's still my friend and always will be.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2011-09-13, 18:57:00 »
I can't say I know much about it...and years ago it wouldn't have mattered as I felt (back then) that each person's problem was their own and not for me to worry about.  All that changes when someone you know and/or love is afflicted w/something you don't quite understand, or never heard of.

I need to read up on the topic in order to converse intelligently on it.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-09-14, 01:17:46 »
It just occurred to me to stop thinking of, and seeing, the problem from the front. Perhaps it's time to see it from above, and from the side.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #4 on: 2011-09-14, 01:44:22 »
Viewing an existing situation from a new perspective can never hurt.   ;)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-09-14, 14:58:25 »
Agreed...although I must admit it is hard to be objective about something if you're experiencing or in some cases, accursed with it.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€