"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play, but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache."
                -- Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Author Topic: This is just inspiring.  (Read 3396 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
This is just inspiring.
« on: 2011-09-13, 01:41:03 »

From: http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-images-kids-too-insane-to-be-real-that-totally-are_p2/?fb_ref=like&fb_source=home_oneline

From the article:
 This is not the same as a white, English-speaking child playing at revolutionary because he's got the implied protection of society. This boy is not joking, and he is not safe. If he's really a 'street child,' then those cops he's challenging are the men that might make half a week's pay for murdering him, and would face little to no reprisal for it. And if he really is a 'street child,' then he is utterly alone up there: It's unlikely any of the other people in those photos have a vested interest in whether he lives or dies.

And he simply does.

Not.

Care.

Because there is nothing on this earth - not overwhelming odds, nor brutal police states, nor fear, nor violence, nor the kind of horrible, devouring apathy that makes things like death squads for children possible - that will ever, from now until the heat death of this whole screwed universe, force this kid to sit down and put his fucking shirt back on.

-Ivan
« Last Edit: 2011-09-13, 01:42:47 by RauttSkegg »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: This is just inspiring.
« Reply #1 on: 2011-09-13, 17:59:58 »
Wow. Shark Boy from the article was a wild one too. Thanks for posting this.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2011-09-13, 18:55:01 »
Viva la revolucion!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-09-14, 01:12:48 »
This kind of thing makes me pick myself up again to do battle.

Sometimes you think your the only one willing to stand up and show authority the finger. To fight because you choose to.

Sometimes though... you just get tired of running & being scared.

Would that we all had half the balls this kid does.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-09-14, 15:03:07 »
Who is to say we don't?  I think it all depends on the situation; as a child, his only recourse to protest current conditions is to behave as he is, but as adults, more is expected and required.  If we lived in such a society, I truly believe there are those among us who would rise to the occasion.

I know we've all seen the movies where America is invaded and/or overrun and how small pockets of citizens fight back- I don't believe that's just Hollywood.  Our nation was built on fighting off oppressors, against greater odds, better armaments, staunch tradition- and we were still there then when the smoke settled, and I fully believe we would now if the situation called for it.

I would not necessarily disagree if you posited that a large number of our fellow citizens would simply sit and do nothing- but such has always been the way of societies back to antiquity.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€