"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."
                -- Marcus Aurelius (121 - 180)

Author Topic: Need advice with picking right hilt from By My Hand Designs.  (Read 4833 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
OK so I'm going to buy one of By My Hand Designs one piece hilts for use on the SCA tourney field. They look good and perform well.

(http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=pu.146146122096372&type=1&closeTheater=1)

Which one of them is most appropriate to a late 8th century eastern Scandinavian living on or near the Volga River & its trade?

I figure its one of these:

Viking
Trilobe
Tea Cosy
Norwegian Type 5
Cocked Hat

Got ideas?

-Ivan
« Last Edit: 2011-09-04, 17:36:39 by RauttSkegg »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
A few hundred years before time periods that I have even passable knowledgeable about, but it looks like they do great work. SCA Swords have come a long way from the duct-taped straight pieces of rattan I last saw a decade ago!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
I'm rather leaning twards the Trilobe or cocked hat myself.

I'd do the type 5 in a heart beat if I had the tools to grind it down some to deal with the weight.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
I'm thinking the tri-lobed should suit your purpose.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
I'm rather leaning twards the Trilobe or cocked hat myself.

I'd do the type 5 in a heart beat if I had the tools to grind it down some to deal with the weight.

I agree, but I dont know much about viking weapons :)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Turns out that the trilobe will be replaced by the "type 11" which should have pictures soon they say.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Turns out that the trilobe will be replaced by the "type 11" which should have pictures soon they say.

That's unfortunate.  The trilobe is a nice piece and the welds are solid.  I've handled their stock models in-store before and was impressed.  I've also seen some incredible results from industrious folks who know how to use files and create inlays!
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber