"He is victorious who knows when and when not to fight."
                -- Sun Tzu

Author Topic: Writing a medieval fantasy book  (Read 8038 times)

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
Writing a medieval fantasy book
« on: 2011-08-29, 03:56:07 »
im currently 15 pages in

plot: 2 brothers are poor start off having them stealing from a store to return to their house and think about their life. one of the brothers becomes a blacksmith apprentice and is then trained by a knight. 2nd brother becomes an assassin/thief.  Evil king waging war with other king thats a necromancer making a undead army of knights.

that is a half a$$ed plot but any suggestions to add? characters?

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Writing a medieval fantasy book
« Reply #1 on: 2011-08-29, 10:12:57 »
blacksmiths always save the world, or alchemists apprentices

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-29, 13:11:03 »
The assassin/thief brother is a dark and brooding character, an anti-hero.  His eyes betray a level of violence not often seen in your world and yet he speaks kindly and softly to the poor wretches trod under the boots of the warlords.  His path might take him to an "alliance" with the necromancer while guiding him to victory over the other evil king.  All the while he has been undermining the power base of the necromancer making it possible for his blacksmith/squire brother and his companions to finally defeat the necromancer in a spectacular final battle which, alas, also takes the life of the assassin/thief brother who dies in his brother's arms.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-08-29, 13:15:51 »
How about if the undead army of knights were led by the necromancer's wife...he betrayed her, you see, and had her executed for treason but her trusted manservant gave her the kiss of Life and brought her back.  The soldiers of the undead army were a gift from her father upon her marriage to the necromancer, they remember her.  When she appeared before them in all her undead glory, they changed their allegiances to a man, and tore the necromancer to pieces for his betrayal.

The other king is evil...maybe have the assassin brother start off in his army as one of his 'hidden daggers' (maybe this evil king uses his hidden daggers in the ancient rite of Decimation, to keep unruly soldiers in check), because he's disillusioned w/life, becoming enamored with the taking of it as it is a sacred art.

The blacksmith brother can be the armorer of the necromancer's army, but he became enraged when his lady, the necromancer's wife was slain out of hand and he took up a sword to avenge her- he was with the undead when they tore the necromancer apart.  Since he is the only living member of this army, they use him as their representative to treat with the evil army (as they will not know they are about to fight undead warriors)...by chance his assassin brother is tasked to be the envoy for the evil king and together they devise a plan to put an end to the evil king and his loyal subjects once and for all.

When you have the climactic end game battle, have it being waged on a number of different fronts...for instance, write from the perspective of one of the infantry, you know, the horror of the bloodshed...in fact, make it one of the evil army's guys, some poor schmuck pressed into service because the only other choice was death to him and his family; then another perspective from the cavalry of the undead riding roughshod over their living enemies- maybe he could experience some sort of conscientious debate as he is not completely inhuman, the perspectives of the evil king and the undead queen - maybe they might wage war on the astral plane, or just mentally- almost like two people poised over a chess board and of course, the two brothers themselves, their unique perspectives should also be intermixed.

Just some ideas.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-29, 13:16:03 by Syr William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-29, 13:25:20 »
Quote from: Syr William
... because he's disillusioned w/life, becoming enamored with the taking of it as it is a sacred art.
Ooooo, Very nice!
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-08-29, 14:04:47 »
Thanks man...seems like we were on the same track, or heading that way. 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #6 on: 2011-08-29, 14:34:02 »
Leganoth, I wouldn`t bother as it looks like these guys are so enthusiastic about your project, they might end up writing it for you lmao ;D ;D

Joking aside.....Good luck.
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2011-08-29, 15:28:37 »
My bad, Leganoth...I've got stuff like that floating around in my head because I have been in the process (for the last 7 or so years) of writing a historical fiction piece on a prominent 8th Century figure.  Having a devil of a time getting it to come together though, I wish you the best in your endeavour.

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #8 on: 2011-08-29, 23:13:34 »
My bad, Leganoth...I've got stuff like that floating around in my head because I have been in the process (for the last 7 or so years) of writing a historical fiction piece on a prominent 8th Century figure.  Having a devil of a time getting it to come together though, I wish you the best in your endeavour.

well you have many ideas lol

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #9 on: 2011-08-29, 23:49:06 »
Leganoth, In all honesty you have probably happened upon some of the best imaginative medieval minds on the net. :D :D
(Have you read Sir Williams Knight page yet? Great bit of work!)
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #10 on: 2011-08-30, 02:56:41 »
Leganoth, In all honesty you have probably happened upon some of the best imaginative medieval minds on the net. :D :D
(Have you read Sir Williams Knight page yet? Great bit of work!)
G.

Lol, i know right he put a whole page down of ideas ^_^

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2011-08-30, 14:30:12 »
Thanks, Sir G.  ;)

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #12 on: 2011-08-31, 05:02:19 »

When you have the climactic end game battle, have it being waged on a number of different fronts...for instance, write from the perspective of one of the infantry, you know, the horror of the bloodshed...in fact, make it one of the evil army's guys, some poor schmuck pressed into service because the only other choice was death to him and his family; then another perspective from the cavalry of the undead riding roughshod over their living enemies- maybe he could experience some sort of conscientious debate as he is not completely inhuman, the perspectives of the evil king and the undead queen - maybe they might wage war on the astral plane, or just mentally- almost like two people poised over a chess board and of course, the two brothers themselves, their unique perspectives should also be intermixed.

Just some ideas.

Oooo these are good ideas I will put soldiers perspective in at the big battle, I wish i could send you all guys a copy but im handwriting it in a leather book lol..

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2011-08-31, 18:32:23 »
We look forward to reading the finished product, and thanks.