Main > The Round Table

Cross worn on back

<< < (4/9) > >>

Frater de Beaumanoir:
The Primitive Rule of the Templars does state that Sergeants would wear crosses on front and back. This is probably because alot of them would be working with locally hired Turcopoles and clothing would likely mirror that of local enemies, it would be easier for a mounted Brother to recognise a dismounted ally (Seargeants and some Turcopoles fought on foot) in the midst of a Theological scrum in the Outremer.

Also, since many a Church Bishop, priest, and or vision recipient liked to tie biblical events to their actions, isit not hard to believe thata cross on the back would symbolize that of Christ carrying the cross as well......just a thought. ;D

SirNathanQ:
Well my reading does nothing to mention it worn ONLY on the back, I think for Identification purposes, foot soldiers might bear a cross on their back in addition to one in front.

Sir William:
That is interesting, Frater...do you have any links to those references?

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Frater de Beaumanoir on 2011-08-10, 10:31:37 ---The Primitive Rule of the Templars does state that Sergeants would wear crosses on front and back.

--- End quote ---

That makes sense. You'd want your foot soldiers to be identifiable.

But I think the initial statement was that the knights wore their surcoats backward on the way back from crusade.

BTW, great avatar image. "Infidel inside"... lol :)

SirNathanQ:
I still wouldn't have heard anything about it, I would be interested in seeing evidence of that though

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version