Main > The Round Table

Cross worn on back

<< < (5/9) > >>

Sir William:
I didn't find any references to it when I did a quick google search...might've worded it wrong, though.

Frater de Beaumanoir:

--- Quote from: Ser William on 2011-08-10, 13:14:55 ---That is interesting, Frater...do you have any links to those references?

--- End quote ---

Ser William,

Please find my reference in J.M.Upton-Ward's The Rule of the Templars: statute 141 on page 54- The surcoats of Sergeant Brothers should be completely black, with a red cross on the front and back.

Sir Wolf:
what year was this put into place?

Frater de Beaumanoir:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-08-10, 13:16:43 ---BTW, great avatar image. "Infidel inside"... lol :)

--- End quote ---

My thanks.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ser William on 2011-08-09, 19:27:22 ---Orcs have no armor on their back sides, did you know that?  With the exception of the head.  It is because they are not supposed to run, but if they prove craven and DO run, they are largely unprotected.  There's a factoid for ya!  ;)

--- End quote ---

Early samurai had a similar concept. They had a 5-piece body armor. Front, both sides, and the two small sides in the rear (about 1/3 each). But nothing in the center rear to cover the spine area. There was a separate, unattached plate that could be inserted there, called a "se ita" - japanese for "coward's plate" - and it was a sign of cowardice to wear one, as it meant you intended to turn your back on the enemy (and run) if necessary. Of course, if they're running from orcs, it would get interesting... :D

--- Quote from: Frater de Beaumanoir on 2011-08-11, 00:11:57 ---
--- Quote from: Ser William on 2011-08-10, 13:14:55 ---That is interesting, Frater...do you have any links to those references?

--- End quote ---

Ser William,

Please find my reference in J.M.Upton-Ward's The Rule of the Templars: statute 141 on page 54- The surcoats of Sergeant Brothers should be completely black, with a red cross on the front and back.

--- End quote ---

That sounds very similar to the hospitalers. For a time, sergeants wore black with a white cross, while other members wore red with a white cross. That was only from 1259-1279, per Pope Innocent IV. However, that was the 'standard' dictated, but variance from the standard is certainly possible. Absence of evidence not meaning evidence of absence, as Oakeshott said.

In regards to wearing the cross on the back while returning from crusades to face Jerusalem, I've never heard of that. From a logical standpoint, if the cross were to face TO Jerusalem, and they were crusading FROM Jerusalem, they would be wearing it backwards while GOING on the crusade, and wearing it forwards while RETURNING. Based just on that, I'd have to disagree with what the jouster said, unless everyone walked backwards to and from.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version