"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: Windlass/Deepeeka medieval shields.  (Read 10551 times)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
Windlass/Deepeeka medieval shields.
« on: 2011-07-31, 04:25:13 »
Does anyone have any experience Between these two brands of medieval shields?
How are they? How do they compare? Are they functional? Handle well? solidly constructed? How is the strapping?

All help is appreciated. Thanks.

-SirNathanQ

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=801204&name=Medieval+Heater+Shield

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AH6758&name=Small+Medieval+Wooden+Shield
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Windlass/Deepeeka medieval shields.
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-31, 08:20:51 »
I have a windlass crusader late kite shield and its quality is rather good, it's also padded to absorb shock much easier. Not sure how accurate it is but I like my shield. It's quite light as well.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-31, 12:43:38 »
The first one is a lot like mine, just a different size. It's fairly light and sturdy, and it's strapped pretty well, except the guige strap is not really adjustable. So I cut the strap off mine, leaving about 8" on either side, and riveted my own belt onto the remaining pieces, so that I could have a buckled strap.

The surface of the shield is covered in a canvas material, with some sort of soft layer underneath. I'm not sure how well it holds paint, in general, but since mine got dipped in tough epoxy paints, mine has an almost metallic, smooth surface now.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-31, 14:17:35 »
So the Windlass ones are highly recommended?
Anyone have any experience or hear anything about the Deepeeka?
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #4 on: 2011-07-31, 18:28:16 »
i have the second one and like it alot.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2011-08-01, 02:05:00 »
Sir Wolf, you have the Deepeeka?

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2011-08-01, 02:42:13 »
yup. thats what the painted coa shield i have is. if its for battle i would reenforce the straps etc. if its for faire, its great. lite weight, nice canvas, easy to be painted. perfect size too.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2011-08-01, 05:25:50 »
Hmmm.....how is the strapping?
Any issues with it?
Is it sturdy?
BTW, how is the guige?

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #8 on: 2011-08-01, 18:05:12 »
i will take close up pics tonight after work for you.

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #9 on: 2011-08-01, 19:01:15 »
I have a windlass crusader late kite shield and its quality is rather good, it's also padded to absorb shock much easier. Not sure how accurate it is but I like my shield. It's quite light as well.

The "small medeval shield" looks better imo. looks bigger and longer the other looks short and fatter, either way theyre both heater shields

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2011-08-02, 04:42:58 »
Why not just make one?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2011-08-02, 14:33:30 »
If you can't make one (not everyone can, Ivan) you could try these guys out: http://www.oakheartarmory.com/1501.html - they made my Templar shield for me, it came out to $85, that included shipping.  They cut, shape, dry, then wrap it in linen and paint your CoA (they can paint whatever you give them as an image) and include arm and shoulder straps to your measurements...they can make it for either hand as well.  Make sure you let them know the guige should be extra long.  Mine came up short so I'm going to have to do the same thing Sir Edward did and rivet in another belt (wondered how you got such a wide belt on your strap there Ed lol).

Not the greatest pic but you get the picture, no pun intended.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-02, 14:34:13 by Ser William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #12 on: 2011-08-02, 15:19:16 »
If you can't make one (not everyone can, Ivan) you could try these guys out: http://www.oakheartarmory.com/1501.html

Hmm, the images aren't loading on that site. I'd like to see what everything looks like, and then maybe add them to the links page.

Mine came up short so I'm going to have to do the same thing Sir Edward did and rivet in another belt (wondered how you got such a wide belt on your strap there Ed lol).

Heh, well the original belt was the same width, which made the riveting pretty straightforward. Having a nice long belt with a buckle is nice here, since you can cinch it up to sit high on your back, or let it out so you can use it as a proper guige while the shield is on your arm.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2011-08-02, 15:28:42 »
Yea, I noticed...but they're still in business last I checked.  Might be a site hosting issue...
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2011-08-03, 02:55:08 »
http://www.oakheartarmory.com/ works for me and it has the links to shields on there, it might not like the direct linking?
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent