"Do not be tricked into thinking that there are no crocodiles just because the water is still."
                -- Malaysian Proverb

Author Topic: Knight of the week  (Read 188897 times)

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Sir John of Felsenbau (Ritter Johann von Felsenbau)
  • Forum Follower
Re: Knight of the week
« Reply #285 on: 2013-01-26, 16:24:40 »
This week's (and the last; my favorite) Knight of the Week- Ulrich von Liechtenstein (the real one):

TIMELINE

Built in 1122 the manor of: Hartwig von Reidling: (was the forerunner of the castle Liechtenstein) (1108-1140) – He was the father of Dietmar I

Liechtenstein castle was built in 1130  by Hugo von Petronell, which he named Liechtenstein ("bright stone"). He then called himself Hugo von Liechtenstein after the Castle. (The Turks destroyed the castle in 1480 and 1529 destroyed it completely.)

Dietmar I. (1126-1140 von Reidling) in 1140 he had fixed the construction of Liechtenstein Castle and took his name from the castle: 1140-1145 von Liechtenstein) Son:

Dietmar II. (d. after 1189) Von Liechtenstein. Son:

Dietmar III. (1164-1218) Von Liechtenstein. Son:

(Liechtenstein was under the rule of the Counts of Montfort (1200-1416))

Ulrich von Liechtenstein (Son of Dietmar III von Liechtenstein and  Cunegonde):

-1200: Ulrich Born - at Murau in the Duchy of Styria

-1212-1215:  From early childhood, Ulrich receives the traditional education of a knight. In the course of his training he serves as the page to Lady Beatrix, daughter of Otto II of Burgundy (with whom he fell in love)

-1215-1219:  The young Ulrich is squire to Margrave Heinrich of Istria.

-1220: He is called away to his father’s side as he dies.

-1222: Ulrich was knighted by the Babenburg Duke Leopold VI of Austria.

-1226: Eventually he took an oath of tourney for the love that inspired him, vowing to meet all comers during a month of travels, that he called: “Journey of Venus” (Venusfahrt), a series of tournaments dressed as Venus in honor of Beatrix. During this series of jousts he defeats over 300 other knights.

-1230: Ulrich marries Percha von Weissenstein, (They had 2 sons and 2 daughters.)

-1232: Ulrich has the Castle Murau built.

-1240: at forty years of age Ulrich organized a new round of tournament jousting based on Arthurian legends (“Artusfahrt”). He himself played the role of Arthur and those that would joust him assumed names such and Gwain, Kay and Lancelot

-1241-1245: Ulrich is mentioned as "Dapifer Stirie" (Lord High Steward in Styria)

-1246: Leader of the Styrian nobility, Ulrich fought in internal battles in Istria and had a hand in absorbing the duchy into the possessions of Rudolph of Habsburg after the ducal House of Babenberg had become extinct. In the campaign in Hungary in 1246, when he was present at the battle on the Leitha, in which his lord, Friedrich II, der Streitbare, was killed. The Interregnum following Friedrich's death was marked by a power struggle between the king of Hungary and King Ottokar of Bohemia over the reign in Austria and Styria that was not settled until Rudolf von Hapsburg was elected king of Germany in 1273.

-1248: Ulrich had the Castle Frauenburg built.

-1250: Ulrich II (M) born; Dietmut (F) born (?);

Philip of Sponheim, the Archbishop-Elect of Salzburg, was deposed by Pope Alexander IV for refusing to take holy orders, Philip raised an army to defend his title. Ulrich agreed to fight for Philip's cause and agreed to provide Philip with 100 fighting men.

-1252: Otto III (M) born – married Diemut von Liechtenstein-not his sister; (Their son: Otto IV married Katharina von MONTFORT.)

Philip's forces decisively defeated his enemies at the Battle of Sachsenburg on the Drava, and Ulrich was one of seven who mediated the ensuing peace.

-1254: The struggle between Bohemia and Hungary was temporarily settled by the peace   treaty of Ofen.

-1255: Ulrich wrote: “Frauendienst” –(The Service of Ladies): [He writes of himself as a protagonist who does great deeds of honor to married noblewomen, following the conventions of chaste courtly love. The protagonist embarks on two remarkable quests. In the first quest, he travels from Venice to Vienna in the guise of Venus, the goddess of love. He competes in jousts and tourneys and challenges all the knights he meets to a duel in the honour of his lady. He breaks 307 lances and defeats all comers. The noblewoman, however, mostly spurns his affections and demands more deeds and even mutilation for even the honour to hold her hand. In the second quest, he takes on the role of King Arthur ("Artus"), with his followers becoming Arthurian Round Table characters. Regrettably, the first two pages of the beginning have been lost to time. The protagonist, Ulrich, wanders through Styria and Austria in the guise of King Arthur inviting all knights to "break lance" (that is, to joust) three times with him for honor's sake. In this disguise he attended many tournaments. The story illustrates how a worthy knight-errant was supposed to wander about defeating opponents in honorable combat. The story intersperses some songs and courtly advice to knights and some admonitions to greedy nobles and faithless squires.]

-1257: Ulrich wrote: “Das Frauenbuch” – (The Woman’s Book)

-1260: Perchta: (F) born.

-1267-1272: Ulrich appointed Marshal of Istria.

-1268: Ulrich lost the castles to King Ottokar, but later got them back.

-1269: Ulrich was taken prisoner by King Ottokar. (In the war between the Habsburg and the Bohemian King Ottokar the castle Murau was destroyed, but was later rebuilt by Ulrich’s son, Otto)

-1272-1278: Ulrich appointed Supreme Provincial Judge and Governor of Istria.

-1278: Ulrich dies at aged 78.

He was the owner 3 castles: 1. Liechtenstein
                                          2. Frauenburg (his favorite)
                                          3. Murau

-1304: Publication of the Manesse Codex including one  of Sir Ulrich showing his coat of arms.

-1880: Illustration of Sir Ulrich (as Lady Venus) done by artist Otto von Leixner

The current government of the von und zu Liechtenstein, is derived from the Styrian line, whose most famous ancestor was the minstrel Ulrich von Liechtenstein (Frauenburg-Unzmarkt and ruin Liechtenstein Judenburg)

[I have both of his books. Only the first has been translated into English. I am currently translating the second book which is in German.]

Note: He is my favorite knight, not only because he was a good fighter in battles, but he was romantic, rose from nothing (like Wm. Marshal) to great power.....and especially because he was excentric...which I also am.

-The Purple Knight-
Mea Motto:  "Perseverantis Vincit Omnia"
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"
      "Crescit Senex est Manditory, Excrescendi est Voluntarium"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #286 on: 2013-01-28, 17:39:36 »
An excellent choice for the final Knight of the Week, Sir John! Quite the detailed history.

I was wrong in my guess; I thought the final Knight of the Week would have been Sir John of Felsenbau himself!

Also, thank you for the contribution to the forums with all of these. It is appreciated!
« Last Edit: 2013-01-28, 17:39:57 by James Anderson III »
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Sir John of Felsenbau (Ritter Johann von Felsenbau)
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #287 on: 2013-01-28, 23:04:58 »
You're quite welcome!
Now I have to figure out what to do next to add to the site. My Knight of the week brought many viewers...hope that results in more people wanting to join us.

For now, I am busy getting ready for my knighting. I think you will find it overwhelming!

I am, with great respect, your most obedient servant,

Sir Johann von Felsenbau
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Motto:  "Perseverantis Vincit Omnia"
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"
      "Crescit Senex est Manditory, Excrescendi est Voluntarium"

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #288 on: 2013-01-29, 17:35:13 »
Impressive, I knew there was something Chivalrous about Liechtenstein.  ;)

Well done Sir John, your Knights of the Week have contributed greatly to this audience and for potential Knights of the Order of the Marshal.  Well done and many thanks. 

Do get your Knighting in order.  I am sure it will be a great event.  I must admit I might not be able to make it there but I am with you all in the spirit of Chivalry. 
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #289 on: 2013-01-29, 20:16:14 »
I've always looked forward to such writings Sir John...perhaps now would be a good time to sojourn into the exploits of legendary, but not necessarily 'real' knights...maybe some of us can even be of existence.

I'm thinking LOTR characters, Game of Thrones or any other resource one can think of where exemplary warriors might be written about.  Could be fun.  I even have a rudimentary outline for Aragorn, son of Arathorn- that is, in Game of Thrones parlance, the Second of His Name.  ;)
« Last Edit: 2013-01-29, 20:18:59 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #290 on: 2013-01-29, 23:21:56 »
I enjoyed your historical stories of the Knights, Sir John. :) You put much effort into making them stand out. Thank you for additions. Everyone contributing something makes this more than before.  ;)
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #291 on: 2013-01-30, 16:29:01 »

I'm wondering how you keep all of those helms, surcoats, and shields in your house. I know I'd be hard pressed to make the space for it. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #292 on: 2013-01-30, 23:58:19 »
bah its not that hard lol

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #293 on: 2013-01-31, 17:51:59 »
LOL

Wolf'd know wouldn't he?
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #294 on: 2013-01-31, 20:54:45 »
Do you guys plan on renting out space for all the excess that comes with being a medieval history & collectibles junkee or are you just going to do what I do...let your wife complain about all the crap constantly cluttering the apartment & promise to put stuff away??   ;D LOL

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #295 on: 2013-01-31, 21:24:53 »

I've started rotating out older items in the collection to make space for new things. Mostly. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #296 on: 2013-01-31, 21:39:51 »
Do you guys plan on renting out space for all the excess that comes with being a medieval history & collectibles junkee or are you just going to do what I do...let your wife complain about all the crap constantly cluttering the apartment & promise to put stuff away??   ;D LOL

You could always remove the wife.

lol, I kid, I kid....
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #297 on: 2013-02-01, 15:05:37 »

You could always remove the wife.

lol, I kid, I kid....

The wife might take offense at being called clutter Sir James. :)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #298 on: 2013-02-01, 16:19:44 »

I've started rotating out older items in the collection to make space for new things. Mostly. :)

Isn't it about time for you to have to do that again?  ;)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #299 on: 2013-02-01, 16:36:48 »
The wife might take offense at being called clutter Sir James. :)

lol! I would imagine so. :)

Isn't it about time for you to have to do that again?  ;)

It's not too bad at the moment. I'm not really adding much other than scabbards at the moment. Except of course that mac-bible "glaive" when it finally gets here.
Sir Ed T. Toton III