"Our own heart, and not other men's opinion, forms our true honor."
                -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Author Topic: Knight of the week  (Read 188851 times)

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
Re: Knight of the week
« Reply #345 on: 2013-05-31, 12:57:46 »
Take your time sir John, well done on your thread.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Sir John of Felsenbau (Ritter Johann von Felsenbau)
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #346 on: 2013-06-01, 14:30:43 »
In winter, I (Ulrich) rode on a visit to the land in which sat my Frowe, thinking back and forth as I could find a messenger to tell her my will. The summer (1225) came again with its beautiful days. I rode joyfully to Carinthia, Carniola, and Istria. In Trieste, the Count Meinhard hosted a tournament in which  I myself broke 15 lances and learned that a tournament would be held in Bressanone. When I arrived, I was warmly welcomed and friendly, the knights was a dear guest. A beautiful joust happened – but during a joust with Herr Uolschalk of Bolzano one of Ulrich’s fingers was seriously wounded, and in his anxiety to save it he offered a surgeon a thousand pounds for a cure. The treatment was unsuccessful, so off to the home of the inexorable went a new the story of unflinching devotion, the loss of a finger in a tournament.

The knight passed the summer (1225) in Steierland  (Styria) under arms, and after pleasant experiences he sent his messenger again, only to have his suit repelled with the same coldness and decision as before. The report was even more discouraging, for the lady, who had been told of his losing a finger in her service, had now learned that he still had it; nor was she moved by the assurance that it was almost useless.

Ulrich responded by having a friend hack off the finger and sent it to the lady in a green velvet case. She was so impressed by his show of devotion that she sent back a message that she would look at it every day. With such a speech, he came to me, and I was glad of her heart. But then came another message that he should not believe that he was closer to his goal, because I keep the finger.  His effort is lost on me." The news saddened, but did not cast down.    Poor Ulrich became terribly downcast, sang a song of dreary winter, and when the next summer 1226 came went again in quest of tourneys, breaking innumerable lances in honor of his lady-love.

Secretly, I (Ulrich) want to steal from the country and as a pilgrim who makes his journey to Rome. But I will - this winter it should be - stop me to Venice and stay there until May. There I will prepare myself well, as befits a queen.

Preperation for the Venusfahrt
Now a large idea visits this sanguine gentleman. Gone to Rome on a pilgrimage, that is what he will pretend. It is to Venice that he goes— cautiously, so as not to be observed. He arrayed himself in the garb of a pilgrim, left his castle Lichtenstein, and wandered on foot out of the country. When he came to Venice he stopped at a small tavern.

There he spends the winter, and ordered to be secretly prepared for him twelve white ladies' dresses, thirty fine chemise-sleeves, three white velvet cloaks, and two ladies' head-dresses adorned with pearls. He then engaged twelve foreign servants who did not know his name, dressed them all in white clothes, bought white helms, shields, and a hundred white spears for himself and his followers, and white saddles, bridles, and dressings for his horses ; and thus prepared, sent thirty days before his own departure a messenger with an open letter to all the knights of Lombardy, Austria, Bohemia, etc., telling them that on the 24th of April 1227 the Goddess of Love, Venus, would arise from the Venetian sea and travel northward to  Bohemia.

(To be continued)

(In case I failed to mention...Ulrich uses "break a lance" to mean "Joust")
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Motto:  "Perseverantis Vincit Omnia"
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"
      "Crescit Senex est Manditory, Excrescendi est Voluntarium"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #347 on: 2013-06-09, 20:30:41 »
                                                                          Venusfahrt

When spring came, he rode on horseback, dressed in his gorgeous female attire of velvet and satin; white silk gloves covered his hands, white sleeves his arms, and a thick white veil his face. His helmet decorated with a rather large female torso representing the goddess Venus in a flowing gown, holding in one hand an arrow (symbolizing love) and a torch in the other hand. The helmet towered on his head, from which two long pearl-embroidered braids hung down to his waist. He was preceded by his twelve squires, all dressed in white and carrying a white banner; two white-dressed maids, and a half-dozen or so of fiddlers, trumpeters, and flute-players.

The narrative of this '' Venus-journey '' is prolonged, detailed, and tedious. Wherever the knight goes, numerous contestants are awaiting him, in this idle age when no one had anything to do. Some of these, also, assume disguises, one as a monk, another in female costume, his shield and spear aesthetic with flowers. But the travelling combatant (Ulrich) is always the winner.

The first day to Treviso, the second day of the Piave River, the third to Sacile, the fourth to St. Odorico ,the fifth to Gemona ,the sixth to Chiusaforte , the seventh to Thoerl (ze the gate), the eighth day until Villach.  There they rested the ninth day.

The tenth day he comes to Feldkirchen , the eleventh to St. Veit , the twelfth to Friesach , the thirteenth to Scheufling , the fourteenth of Judenburg , the fifteenth to Knittelfeld, the sixteenth to Leoben , the seventeenth to Kapfenberg, the eighteenth to Mürzzuschlag , the nineteenth to Gloggnitz .  The twentieth day it remains there.

On the twenty days they come to Neunkirchen , on the twenty to Wiener-Neustadt (Niwenstadt), on the twenty-third to Traiskirchen ,on the twenty-fourth to Vienna, where it remains the twenty-fifth day.  On the twenty-sixth they stayed in Kornneuburg (Niuwenburg) on the twenty-seventh  Mistelbach , on the twenty-eighth in Feldberg, on the twenty-ninth day it is on the other bank of the Thaya (Tye) in Bohemia.  There, their journey has an end and they rode back to Liechtenstein.

On one of the days he had gone to a retired place for a bath, and his attendant had gone to bring a suit. While thus left quite alone and unprotected, a lady sent by her servant a suit of female garments, a piece of tapestry, a coat, a girdle, a fine buckle, a garland, a ring with a ruby red as a lady's sweet mouth, and a letter. To receive such a gift from a lady not one's love was treason.

The Venus-journey ended, and Ulrich counted up the results: he had broken three hundred and seven lances (won 307 jousts) and defeated all comers.. (To break a lance means to Joust) At any rate, the next visit of the messenger brought a bitter dismissal, with cruel charges of inconstancy. She would always hate him, and never hold him dear; she was angry with herself for giving him a ring; she bade him return it at once.

(to be continued)
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #348 on: 2013-06-10, 06:55:50 »
That is awesome Sir John.  It's funny, not even a week has passed since my lady and I and her two-year old enjoyed "A Knight's Tale." After watching the bonus features, we had to look up and see if a "Sir Ulrich Von Lichtenstein" ever existed in history because of how well done and plausible the rest of the story was.  It's nice to see even more detail into that fine Knight
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #349 on: 2013-06-10, 21:05:38 »
Glad you like it, I still have more on this particular knight. Thejn I'll have to find something else to post.

Sir John of Felsenbau
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #350 on: 2013-06-16, 15:29:07 »
Another message from his dream brought a renewed expression of coldness. She felt kindly to him, but she never would grant favor to anyone. But another song and messenger secure at last the promise of an interview. She says she will see him if he will come the next Sunday morning before breakfast, dressed in poor clothes, and in company with a squad of lepers who have a camp near her castle. On Saturday lie rode thirty-six miles, lost two horses by the forced journey, very likely over rough country, and was wearied by the exertion of so hard an effort. But he succeeded, and as soon as they reach the neighborhood of the castle, he and his two companions put on poor clothes—the shabbiest they could procure,—and with leper cups and long knives for their safety among such outcasts of society, they go to the spot where thirty lepers are huddled together.

Toward evening he secured another interview with the maid, and received directions for the night. He and his companion hid in the ditch before the castle, skulking from the observation of the patrol, until well after dark; then when the signal light appeared at a certain window he went beneath it, and found a rope made of clothes hanging down. In this he fastened himself, and hands above began to raise him, but when he was half way up they could raise him no farther, and he was let down to the ground. This happened three times, but finally was lifted into the window by the waiting ladies above, and then Ulrich himself arrived there.

He was ushered into the presence of the woman whom he had so long served without even a glimpse. Ulrich began to tell the story of his heart, and entreats her to respond to his devotion. She assured him that she had no thought of ever loving him; she had consented to this interview only to assure him of her kindly feeling, and satisfy him from her own lips that he must cherish no romantic hope.

Now or never, he sends her word of his determination, and then rushes in and tells her that if she will not say she loves him, he will kill himself then and there. The lady sees that such a suicide would be compromising, and tries to persuade him that perhaps she may some time. Ah, no such coyness; she must confess her love to-night.

Finally, as a last resource, she thinks of employing the usual right of a courted woman—putting her lover to a test of his devotion. He has already given her so many that a trifling, a merely formal one will serve now. Let him just get into the clothes-rope again and be lowered part way down, and pulled back; then she will say she loves him. A glimmer of suspicion flits over his mind, but she gives him her hand as a pledge, and he gets into the rope. Now he is hanging outside the window, still holding the dear hand, and such sweet things as she whispers, as she leans out—no knight was ever so dear to her; now comes his contentment, all his troubles are past now! She even coddles his chin with her disengaged hand, and bids him kiss her. Kiss her! In his joy he lets go the hand he was holding, to throw both arms about her neck, when suddenly he is dropped to the ground so swiftly '' that he ran great peril of his life." 

The lady, as the squire alleged, had excused herself by saying that the sudden entrance of an unfaithful maid had compelled her to so cruel a proceeding, and that she had pledged herself soon to admit him to her favor. Meanwhile, Ulrich was to return to his castle and wife; which the rueful knight did.

In another freak of coquetry sent him word that he must join the next Crusade in her service. Ulrich was delighted to be able to do something for his mistress's glory, and sent her a glowing poem descriptive of her unparalleled kindness and his unparalleled bliss and glory in that his noble lady had permitted him to go and fight for God and the cross in her service. For this poem and a new song she returned him her kindest thanks, and bid him prepare himself for the Holy Land, but not to leave till he had been called by her to another meeting.

There she relieved him from the Crusade, and bade him stay with her. In the full enjoyment of her love Ulrich passed two years (1228-1229) of roaming, singing, and tourneying — two very happy years. About the end of that time, however, his lady, the countess, played him a trick of so outrageous a nature that Ulrich dares not tell what it was.  Finally he conceived himself treated shamefully (we are not told what the discourtesy was which he could not idealize), and he made a final break with his old worship. (1231: Lady Beatrix dies.)

(To be continued)
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #351 on: 2013-06-23, 14:12:25 »
                                                         Artusfahrt

When Ulrich recovered from the defeat with his first Lady love, he embarked on a second quest together with 6 companions in 1240, this time for a new lady’s favor. 

If we look at Ulrich's relationship to the first and second lady, we can notice a large discrepancy.  The first lady was married and acted hostile towards Ulrich.  Also, the fact that she was of higher social, spoke against that love.  It comes to the turn.  A "crime" that explains Ulrich unspecified, is the trigger for his service Ulrich of the first lady announces over.  He sings two songs and five Scheltlieder action and looking for a new lady that will bring him joy again.  The second service runs much quieter, because he no longer needs to fight for the favor of the lady. Communication in the second part of the novel, where Ulrich desires other lady is completely different. There are no more mutilations, perhaps just because the second lady returns his affection. The courtly love does not fail and so does not fail to communicate.

Unfortunately, the beginning of his artusfahrt is missing. Regrettably, the first two pages of the beginning have been lost to time.

The tournament circuit went through Carinthia. Dressed as King Arthur, he journeyed through the land and promised admission to his “Round Table” to any knight who would break three lances with him.

He probably began from Liechtenstein Castle, since the other two hadn’t been built yet.. His journal begins with him already at a tournament. The first mentioned in his Journal is Eppenstein, however Klangenfurt probably was his first stop. At this location we only know that he jousted with Konrad von Stretwich (His joust was good.  He stabbed me in the helmet's chin that it sounded loud.  The lances broke. Then there came forth against me  Conrad of Saurau with a beautifully colored lance he went in haste to approach me. His lance missing me, but I stabbed him with my iron through the shield that the lance broke. Then we rode to Eppenstein. There he jousted with Leutfried von Eppenstein, who broke 3 lances on me and whom I named Calogrenant also called Colgrevance – a  name of a knight of King Arthurs Round Table  )

Joyfully we left and rode to Krabat (Kraubath). Two tents were pitched and four cottages on flowery meadow.  There we spent the night. In the morning, there was a Knight, with spears up who all wanted to joust.  I had broken 7 lances and 13 were broken on me.

Singing and glad we moved to Bruck. (Bruck an der Mur). I rode with some good knight, who spent the night in Bruck with me. Herr Herrman of Krotendorf and Herr Dietmar came forth against me from the wall. The two broke 4 lances, but I broke 5. There were 8 more against me. Yet I left without companions, because no one had won the right to participate in the Round Table, as no one had three lances broken on me.

From there I rode to Kapfenberg, where Herr Henry of Spiegelberg was waiting with erected lances. We rode to the joust, so that the lances broke on the helmets.  Quickly gave us one other lances. At the third time I met his helmet, but he was missing. I took the fourth lance. The next time we were missing both times.

I rode next to (Krüge)Lach (Krieglach).

I rode next to Hohenwang  (Hohenwang Castle). There we met Erchenger von Landesere. Six lances were broken without me missing a single time.

I rode next to Semmering where I fought many good knights, then to Gloggnitz, where we stayed the night. The next morning came Sir Segramors (the true name Herrenalber of Arnstein). We braced ourselves and went to the field. We broke 6 lances,  so he had the right to belong won the Round Table. Then came Mr. Heinrich von Buseck. He broke 3 lances and was named Sir Lancelot.

Then we moved to New churches (Neunkirchen bei Lambach), where many knights expected me to joust with them. This lasted until the evening.  Only when the night came on, we cleared the field.

The next day I rode, accompanied by Herr Nicholas of mountain life, which I had called Sir Tristram to Schwarzau am Steinfeld. And there came a messenger burst against us with a welcome of the Duke of Austria. He said to tell you that he likes to break three lances with you, for it is his desire to be included in the Round Table.

So happy we moved to Neustadt (Weiner Neustadt). Once again a multitude of knights came to meet us which greeted us warmly. Henry Habbesbach came with forty or more knights. Then, two knights, gentlemen Wernhart and Heinrich Pruzel came.  With them twenty or more knights had come. Then we met Heinrich of Liechtenstein, a brave sword with eleven knights. Then rode the Meissau of twenty-four knights to meet us.  No sooner had we welcomed, as was already another band einhergetrabt. One was Herr Tröstelin, the other of Hutensdorf Ulrich, Herr. Ebran the third, the fourth of the Schwarzensee.  Courteously greeted Ulrich of Saxony village, the bull of Lachsendorf, Prunrich of Toblich, Weikhardt of Spitz, Ekkehardt Posch, Schenk Dietrich of Dobrach, Friedrich von Witeginsdorf, Mr. Leupold and Siegfried of Mödling, Druslieb and Leupold of Haimburg, Zlawat of Falkenstein, the Pfaff of Freistadt, the. von Spaun, Sigfrit Rebestock, Dietmar of Schoenkirchen, Leutold von Tobel, Potschmann of Potscha. These knights were from the household of the Duke of Austria.  Herr Otto Haslau rode up and behind him came Herr Rapot of Falkenberg. Then came Herr Kol Frohnhofen with twenty-six knights, then Herr Kadolt with nineteen knights.

Next we went to Katzelsdorf. Eight tents and four cottages me there were pitched to which we rode.  All around were probably two hundred lances, every, collided with a pennant in my colors in the ground.  In this ring was allowed no one, except where the gates were displayed. No one was allowed in the ring was not ready to joust. No sooner were the ready - there already Meissau of Otto came up with maybe thirty spears and some brave knight.

Afterward came eighteen knights in the ring.  Finally the day came to an end. It went through five days from morning to night. On the evening of the fifth day, a messenger rode up to me and said: King! My Lord, the Duke Frederick, you can tell that he wants to break three lances with you and wants to fight here under the banner of Pruzel. This conversation took place in the morning. Then we rode to church. After the Mass, but we went to a beautiful garden and shared the tournament there. I myself had come with nine, but to my followers had increased to three - Kadolt came to my way. Behind us came from the Habbesbach, Herr Heinrich of Liechtenstein, Otto Haslau.

The journey ended with a tournament at KROMAN. Unfortunately, the final joust was delayed and then banned altogether by Duke Frederick of Austria. His reasoning, political events meant a need for cautious sobriety rather than celebratory sport. Thus ended the tournament! In the morning I rode to Vienna. Frederick was obliged to march against a more earnest and more dangerous enemy. He fell in battle near the Leitta, fighting against the fierce Hungarians.

(To be continued)
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #352 on: 2013-06-29, 14:13:02 »
From 1241-1245, Ulrich is the Lord High Stewart in Styria.

The Battle of the Leitha

After all these came a day that I will always hate, because I grieve today.  Because it was the summer of the year 1246, to the Duke Frederick was killed miserably.  He was my Mr. Right and I will be right service man.  I can not complain about it enough.  Because he honored the brave and good, shared his possessions with them, was a true prince and lord.

Woe is me, that I must now tell how he met his death!  It happened on the day of St. Vitus.  The prince lay with his beautiful army, his country the defensive against the King of Hungary.  On St. Vitus day the king went with bright bunch against us closer to the Leitha.  Since the Duke ordered his forces.  I told you like the fight, as flock was against how you came across the Leitha, and how that was.

The Russians (Ruthenians) started the fight… he overlooked the fact that the Russians approached, so that they overran him from behind.  At the same moment also already bounced along the rows so that no one knew that the leader of one part lay on the ground.  Yes, there was just the battle, so that the Duke was killed.  Over him, it went back and forth - but the victory finally remained the Liechtenstein family. 

Sir Ulrich escaped the dangers of the battlefield, only to fall a victim to the treachery of false friends. Two knights attacked him in his castle of Frauenburg, and took him prisoner. His attendants were driven out of the castle, his wife and children were obliged to flee from it. Only one son remained in captivity with him. For fifteen months he was kept chained in his own home, often threatened with death, and, on one occasion, brought to the window with a rope around his neck and shown to his wife and a few retainers, who had gathered about her, with the assurance that the first attempt at rescue would be the signal of his immediate execution. At last, however, by the intervention of Count Meinhard von Giirz, he was released. Neither captivity nor the loss of his estate—for he had to pay heavily for his ransom.

When Philip of Sponheim, the Archbishop-Elect of Salzburg, was deposed by Pope Alexander IV for refusing to take holy orders, Philip raised an army to defend his title. In 1250, Ulrich agreed to fight for Philip's cause in return for Philip's arranging a beneficial marriage of Ulrich's son, Ulrich II, to Kunigunde of Goldegg and Philip added a dowry of 400 Salzburg pounds to the agreement. In return Ulrich I agreed to provide Philip with 100 fighting men for his cause.[4]

In 1251, Ottokar acquired Austria through his marriage with the 30 years older Marketa, of the Babenberg family. This event led to a quarrel of many years with the King of Hungary Béla IV, who was also interested in the Babenberg heritage and mainly in Styria.

In August 1252 Philip's forces decisively defeated his enemies at the Battle of Sachsenburg on the Drava, and Ulrich was one of seven who mediated the ensuing peace. The treaty of Ofen (1254) gave Styria to Bela and Austria to Ottokar.

1255 sees the completion of his work titled „Frauendienst.” Ulrich wrote in 1257 his second work, the "women's book" (Frauenbuch).  This work is a mixture of Action time and instruction.

In 1258, the Styrians again rebelled, and in eleven days drove every Hungarian out of the country.

Bohemian-Hungarian. War of 1260–70.
However in 1260 the conflict rekindled. Both Bohemia’s King Ottokar II and Hungary’s King Bela IV sought control of Austria and Styria. (In this war the castle Murau was destroyed, but was later rebuilt by Ulrich’s son, Otto)

Troubles in Salzburg, stemming from a conflict between Bohemia and Hungary, inspired a rising among Steiermark's (Styria’s) nobles. Later the nobility of Styria rebelled, asking Ottokar to become their lord. From 1267-1272 Ulrich appointed Styria’s Marshal by Duke Frederick II of Austria.

About 1269 Ulrich as the leader of an unruly faction there, was arrested on a charge of treason, though released after six months' imprisonment.

From 1272-1278 Ulrich was appointed Supreme Provincial Judge and Governor (Regent)of Styria.

Ulrich died at the age of 78. Ulrich von Liechtenstein was buried in Seckau.1278.

(Next time I shall continue on another topic)
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #353 on: 2013-07-06, 13:50:57 »
I thought I'd take a break from the serious, since I found this story online. Considering I also call myself the purple knight, I thought the story interesting.

Ye Legend of the Purple Knight

“Ridiculous!” roared King Arthur, slamming his beer mug on the Round Table. “Purple, you say?”

“All purple, my liege,” said Sir Launcelot, nervously wiping the foam from his face, “head to toes. Completely.”

“I say! Most irregular. Well, what does he want?”

“He wants audience with you, my liege. It seems he’s done ole Cholmondesley in.”

“Cholmondesley?”

“With an axe, your grace. A purple axe. He says he’ll do the same to us all if we don’t send a challenger to fight him in fair battle.” “Well?”

“Well, he— he’s— twenty feet tall.”

“Twenty! Oh, I say! Ghastly business! Who’ve we got crazy enough to fight him? How about you, Launcelot?”

“Oh, no, my liege. Cut my finger last night peeling potatoes. The pain is beastly.”

“Rotten luck, old chap. Well,” he addressed the knights of the round table, “there’s a big purple idiot outside who’s looking for a fight. Who’s game?”

Then up spake Sir Bushwack, a sturdy youth with a broad beam and a low center of gravity: “Where is the bloke? I’m not afraid, even if he is twenty feet tall!” Sir Bushwack had been drinking.

Then spake King Arthur to Sir Launcelot, telling him to bid the knight enter. And Launcelot did this, and the horns sounded, and in staggered a tremendous giant, perhaps four feet in height, dragging behind him a ten-foot purple axe. He had a vast quantity of purple hair which fell down over his eyes, and was clad in purple armor, and his feet in purple shoes. He led a noble steed, also purple, which resembled a cross between a Shetland pony and an armadillo.

King Arthur whispered to Launcelot, “I thought you said he was twenty feet tall.” “That’s what he told me, your majesty.”
 “That’s what he what? Why you ...”

The rest of King Arthur’s tirade was drowned out by the purple giant, who was bellowing in a mighty voice:
 “Okay, I can beat any man in the house! I ain’t scared of nobody ‘cause you’re all ... “ he hiccoughed “ ... chicken to fight me! Come on, who’s first?”

Up spake Sir Bushwack, shouting, “I challenge thee, Sir Knight!” The purple knight laughed. “Look what’sh challenging me! You slob, I can,—hic—can lick you with, — hic— one hand tied behind my back! Come ahead!” Then did the purple knight pick up the purple axe and begin to whirl it about his head, faster and faster. Sir Bushwack waddled up dubiously with sword in hand, feebly attempted to parry, then quickly retreated. The purple knight stood and laughed.
 “Chicken, all of you! Scared to fight me! Har! Har!”

Suddenly, the horns sounded and into the hall rushed a very brave and manly knight, Sir Stupid.

“I say!” he shouted to all and sundry, “Old Fotheringay’s run amok! He and his horse fell into that newly-pressed grape juice up at the distillery, and ...”.

Then he caught sight of the purple knight and stopped short. King Arthur started to laugh hysterically, spilling beer hither and yon.

“I say, old Fotheringay’s gone and fallen into the wine vat! Old Fotheringayl Haw, Haw, Haw! Old Fotheringay’s got high on grape juice! Haw! In the still of the knight!”

The purple knight stood digesting this in silence. Then slowly he began to chuckle and whirl that axe.

“Oh, oh,” Sir Stupid whispered to Arthur, “here he goes!” With a savage yell, the purple knight charged the Round Table, swinging his axe. In an instant, the hall became the scene of a free-for-all. The purple knight was in the thick of the whole mess, smashing furniture, beer kegs, and anything else that happened to be in his way. The hall resounded with the clanging of swords, the splintering of wood, and the demonaical chuckling of the purple knight. In the midst of the noise and confusion, Sir Stupid buttonholed Bushwack.

“Noble knight,” he said, “art thou truly dedicated to thy leige?”

“Yes.”

“And wouldst thou suffer discomfort to rid thy liege of this menace?”

“Surely,” Sir Bushwack said absently, as he ducked a flying beer mug.

“That’s all I wanted to know! Fotheringay! You feeble-minded halfwit cretin! Over here!”

Infuriated, the purple knight whirled toward Sir Stupid and raised his axe. Sir Stupid lifted the protesting Bushwack and hurled him bodily at Fotheringay. There was a loud, splintering smash as the purple knight went down, and then all was silent, except for the gurgling of beer from a shattered keg. Sir Stupid stood over the horizontal Fotheringay.

“Now, thou proud knight,” roared Sir Stupid triumphantly, “now what hast thou to say?”

Slowly, the purple knight looked up and sneered. “CHICKEN,” he said.

(Next time back to more serious topics)
[By the way, I haven't taken a picture yet, but I have a completely purple outfit, even my underwear! more than in the above story.]
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #354 on: 2013-07-06, 21:33:32 »
I see a knightly version of Grimace coming. Or perhaps Barney with a sword.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #355 on: 2013-07-13, 12:56:03 »
My new topic is "The Making of a Knight":

The Five Steps to Knighthood
Step 1 The right connections
Step 2 Upbringing
Step 3 The Page
Step 4 The Squire
Step 5 The Knight

Step 1 The right connections

A Knight was recognized by Middle Ages society as a man who possessed great combat skills and who adhered to the Code of Chivalry. During the Middle Ages, it was technically possible for any free man to become a knight. However, the process of training and equipping a knight with a horse and appropriate weapons was very expensive. Knights would therefore generally come from a noble, or wealthy, family - a would-be knight had to have the right connections. The origin of the term ' Knight' derives from Anglo-Saxon word "Cniht" meaning "boy" or "page boy". The steps to knighthood started as a boy. The honor of being a knight eventually passed from a knight to his sons.

Step 2 Upbringing

His future role as a Knight would be recognized at the birth of a son. His early upbringing would therefore be governed by this ambition. Up to the age of 7 years old a young boy would be brought up in the home of his parents. During this time he would be expected to learn basic good manners and basic literacy from their mothers and to understand the role of the knight, chivalry and loyalty to his liege lord. Games would be played mimicking the role of a knight. Toys would include a wooden sword and shield. A boy's aspirations to becoming a knight would be fuelled by attending tournaments and hearing stories of brave knightly deeds and combats.

(To be continued)
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #356 on: 2013-07-20, 13:05:20 »
Step 3 The Page

There was no definitive age for pages, but boys commonly began the process of learning to be a page at about 7 years of age. At the tender age of just seven years a young boy would be sent to commence his education at the home or castle of a noble. His role would be as a page, the third step towards becoming a knight. A page was also referred to as a 'varlet' meaning 'little vassal'. A page or page boy is traditionally a young male servant, but may also have been used for a messenger at the service of a nobleman or an apprentice knight.

A young boy served as a page for about seven years, running messages, serving, cleaning clothing and weapons, and learning the basics of combat. He might be required to arm or dress the lord to whom he had been sent by his own family. Personal service of this nature was not considered as demeaning, in the context of shared noble status by page and lord. It was seen rather as a form of education in return for labour. While a page did not receive reimbursement other than clothing, accommodation and food, he could be rewarded for an exceptional act of service. In return for his work, the page would receive training in horse-riding, hunting, hawking and combat - the essential skills required of adult members of his rank in medieval society.

Less physical training included schooling in the playing of musical instruments, the composition and singing of songs, and the learning of board games such as chess. The initial education received as a child in reading and writing, would be continued to a level of modest competence under the tuition of a chaplain or other cleric. He learned manners from the nobleman's wife.

It was the duty of a Page to wait at table, care for the Lord's clothes and assist them in dressing. The page was also expected to acts as servants to the ladies of the court or castle her served in. The Page was provided with a uniform of the colors and livery of the Lord. There were many pages, the number depending on the wealth of the noble. There was a 'pecking order' amongst the pages which was dependent on age. The ages of the pages would range from seven years old up to fourteen years old when they would take the next step to becoming a knight by serving in the position of a Squire.

The young page would receive an education being taught religion, manners, riding, hunting, hawking and strategic games such as backgammon and chess. A Page would soon start to acquire the skills required of a Knight by practicing the skills of tilting a lance and watching the prowess and training of their seniors. The use of the lance would be practiced together with the skills of horsemanship. A target was erected and the Page would mount a wooden 'horse' on wheels holding a lance. The wooden horse would be pulled along by two other pages towards the target and the page would aim the lance. Sword play was practiced using wooden swords and shields. Fighting on piggyback introduced the young knights to the balance and skills required in mounted combat. Obviously dangerous weapons were not used by these young boys! Great emphasis was placed on physical fitness and strength. The page would attend their superiors at Tournaments which were always seen as great occasions in the life of pages from the Middle Ages. As a page, a boy learned how to fight, how to use weapons, and how to ride a horse into battle. Training in other physical skills included climbing, swimming, throwing stones, javelins, archery and wrestling.

(To be continued)
« Last Edit: 2013-07-20, 13:06:59 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir Martyn

• Knight Itinerant
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Courage Honor Faith Humility Justice Prowess Mercy
« Reply #357 on: 2013-07-20, 16:48:20 »
Thank you, Sir John - good compilation, nice to have this info in one place. 

My youngest daughter (now age eight) has been my faithful page in all our exploits over the past few years - my older daughter has served as my squire.  I'll share this with them.

We're actually getting ready to attend Drachenfest in Diemelstadt, Germany next week.  We went for the first time last year and had a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-20, 16:56:57 by Gareyth »
Among the greatest evils we face are those which lie within.

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #358 on: 2013-07-27, 13:30:34 »
Step 4 The Squire

If the page showed promise, at age fourteen, the young noble could graduate to become a squire. The Medieval Squire of the Middle Ages was aged between fourteen and twenty-one. Each squire was assigned to a knight. A knight could have several squires. The squire assisted the knight to whom he was assigned. A squire was the shield bearer or armor bearer of a knight, and at times squires included a knight's errand runner or servant. The Medieval Squire was a servant to a knight during the Middle Ages. The role to a squire was one of the most important steps to Knighthood and started when a page reached the age of fourteen years old.

The typical jobs of a squire included:•   Carrying the knight's armour, shield, sword,
•   Holding any prisoners the knight takes,
•   Rescuing the knight should the knight be taken prisoner,
•   Ensuring an honorable burial of the knight in the event of his death,
•   Replacing the knight's sword if it were broken or dropped,
•   Replacing the knight's horse or his own horse, if either be injured or killed,
•   Dressing the knight in his armor,
•   Carrying the knight's flag,
•   Protecting the knight if needed,
•   Taking care of the knight's horses,
•   Accompanying the Knight to tournaments and during the time of war to the battlefield,
•   Ensuring the armor and weapons of the knight were in good order

Other duties of a Squire were to learn about Chivalry, the rules of Heraldry, horsemanship and practice the use of weapons and the skills required of a Knight. It was also their duty to enter into the social life of the castle and learn courtly etiquette, jousting, music and dancing. The Squire served in this role for seven years and became a Knight at the age of twenty-one. Sometimes knighthood was conferred on a squire at an earlier age as the reward for bravery on the battlefield. In time of war Squires accompanied Knights on the battlefield, leading and tending the horses and dressing them in the Medieval Knights Armor. They came under fire from arrows and many squires were killed doing their duty.

As Squires they were seen as men capable of fighting in battles. Their Knighthood training became far more dangerous. Injuries were a common occurrence during their knighthood training. Their skills with the lance had to be perfected. The tool used in the practice of the lance was called called the quintain. The quintain consisted of a shield and dummy which was suspended from a swinging pole. When the shield was hit by a charging squire, the whole apparatus would rotate. The squire's task was to avoid the rotating arms and not get knocked from his saddle. A variation of the quintain added heavy swinging sandbags which also had to be avoided. Accuracy was also an important factor and squires practiced "Running at the Rings" where the lance was aimed at a target in the shape of a ring - these rings were obviously much smaller to lance than a man and this skill was therefore difficult to master. Fighting with quarterstaffs could also result in injuries. Fighting with swords and other weapons were strictly supervised and only wooden, blunt or covered weapons were used. General fitness levels had to be high and the strength of an apprentice knight was expected, regardless of size.

(To be continued - More on the Squire next time)
« Last Edit: 2013-07-27, 14:25:07 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #359 on: 2013-08-03, 13:25:59 »
(The Squire - Continued)

Siege warfare was a common occurrence during the Middle Ages. An important requirement to capture the enemies power base - their castles. Knighthood Training included learning about the strategy, process and weapons used in siege warfare. Siege Warfare during the Middle Ages was conducted according to Chivalric Rules and a truce or settlement would always be attempted, according to the Chivalric Code before Siege Warfare commenced. Knighthood training included all of these aspects of siege warfare. The Squires would be expected to understand the options available when defending a castle - the layout and traps included in the castle design. A young squire, or even a page, would be expected to defend a castle according to their skills and strength. A crossbow might be issued to a squire or page as it required minimum strength and few skills to operate. Attacking a castle would also be studied. This would include learning about Siege Weapons - the Trebuchet, Ballista, Mangonel, Battering Ram and Siege Towers. Skills in climbing were important - scaling castle walls. Knighthood training would also include the process of undermining a castle.

The knighthood training of both the Pages and the Squires of the Middle Ages continued with acquiring excellent equestrian skills. A horse played an extremely important part in the life of a knight. A knight would own several horses which were built for different duties. These ranged in various sizes starting with a palfrey, or an ambler for general travelling purposes. Bigger and stronger horses were required as warhorses. The Courser was the most sought after and expensive warhorse, owned by the most wealthy knights. The more common warhorses were like modern hunters, known then as Destriers. The apprentice knights would learn how to ride and control their horses and the art of this type of warfare. Starting with small ponies they would hone their equestrian skills in their Knighthood training. The pages and squires were also expected to play their part of caring for the horses in the stables.

While he was a squire, he was allowed to carry a sword and a shield, which showed what rank he had achieved. The squire was taught not to kill many knights. Most knights held other knights for ransom. The squire would sometimes carry the knight's flag to battle with his master. But a squire did not stay a squire forever. A knight would take his squires (a knight could have multiple squires but a squire could only have one knight) into battle with him and that was a squire's chance to prove himself. If he proved his loyalty and skill in battle, he would have a dubbing, an official ceremony to become a knight.

(To be continued)
« Last Edit: 2013-08-03, 13:29:10 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"