"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
                -- Thomas Edison

Author Topic: Knight of the week  (Read 188962 times)

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Sir John of Felsenbau (Ritter Johann von Felsenbau)
  • Forum Follower
Re: Knight of the week
« Reply #195 on: 2012-06-28, 11:07:01 »
I always try to do the best I can in whatever I do. When my wife was alive, we used to visit elderly shut ins from our church...especially at christmas, and I would make they a stocking with each item inside individually wrapped.

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Motto:  "Perseverantis Vincit Omnia"
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"
      "Crescit Senex est Manditory, Excrescendi est Voluntarium"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #196 on: 2012-06-30, 14:02:12 »
This week's Knight of the week: "Sir Magnus Billich" - The Billich was a dynasty of Saxon noblemen in the 9th through the 12th canturies. The family was centered around Luneburg; the city of Celle there became famous as the city of the Pied Piper of Hamelin! Hence the Billichs took the rat as their coat of arms. The Billichs became the Dukes of Saxony. The last duke was Magnus, (born 1045; died 1106) from 1072-1106. In 1070, before he became duke, he joined Otto of Nordheim, duke of Bavaria, in rebellion against King Henry IV. The rebellion was put down the following year and Magnus was captured and imprisioned. He was not released until the recapture of Luneburg.

In 1073, Harzburg was destroyed and the anger of Henry aroused. The conflict was renewed and Magnus was captured again in 1075. After being released again, and he joined Rudolf von Rheinfeld, Duke of Swabia, and at the Battle of Mellrichstadt, (1078) Magnus saved Rudolf's life. In 1080, the Pope excumunicated Henry and Rudolf became King, however Rudolf was mortally wounded in his last battle and died soonafter.

This led once again to a flare up of the conflict and Magnus this time was killed (1106)
« Last Edit: 2012-06-30, 14:05:07 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #197 on: 2012-07-07, 14:20:50 »
This week's Knight of the week: "Sir Durad II Balsic" - The house of Balsic ruled a section of Northern Montenego and northern Albania. Before the Balsics, the area was ruled by Emperor Dusan (1331-1355) and then his son: Emperor Dusaniz (the "iz" meaning son of....1355-1371) [I mention this because some of my distamt relatives had the name Dusaniz, including my grandmother] From 1356-1402 the area (known then as Zeta) was a principaity. Balsa I was the first ruler. He had two sons: Durad I and Balsa II. Durad II (born before 1371) succeded to the rule of Upper Zeta  from 1280-1385. Durad's uncle, Balsa II was killed in battle in 1385, and Durad II inherited the rest of the principality.

In 1388, the Ottomans invaded Zeta where he suffered defeat. War between Zeta and the Ottomans continued untill 1396, with Durad II as the victor. After the signing if the treaty in that year, Emperor Sigismund appointed Durad II Prince of Dalmatia, to honor him in his battles against the Ottomans. But in 1399 war again broke out, and 1403, Durad II died of wounds suffered in battle.

His titles at his death were: Head of the House of Balsic, Prince of Zeta and the Coast, Prince of Hvar , Prince of Dalmatia and Prince of Korcula. He was succedded by his son.

(So two of my ancestors: Dusaniz and Tomasevic are possibly decended of royalty)
« Last Edit: 2012-07-07, 14:22:20 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #198 on: 2012-07-09, 19:31:10 »
(So two of my ancestors: Dusaniz and Tomasevic are possibly decended of royalty)

That is awesome!
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #199 on: 2012-07-14, 13:32:11 »
Thanks...I haven't been able to trace my family lines back that far...but the prospect sounds exciting.

Sir John

-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #200 on: 2012-07-14, 13:51:57 »
This week'd knight of the week: "ReichsRitter Eberhard Booe" - The Booe family is documented as far back as 1201 being a family of nobility.  Eberhard was born in 1298 and died in 1393. (yea...a long life to say the least) His father was a Malta Knight who died in battle in Jurusalem. Eberhard was the first of the Knightly family to became a "Free Imperial Knight" of the Holy Roman Empire. Free Imperial Knights arose in the 14th century and were subject only to the Emperor alone! The knights were organized into 3 circles; Eberhard was from the Swabian Circle. The Imperial Knights were called very often to war by the Kaiser and won signifixant influence in the Military and Administration of the Empire. They were free from Imperial taxes and were not required to quarter troops.

Eberhard's father and grandfather carried a shield which displayed a goat...which was due to the fact that the original name was "Bock" which means goat. The name was later changed to "Booe." Eberhard carried his own coat of arms which was an inverted cresent with 3 six pointed stars. It was normal for the Imperial Knights to center their arms on the Emperor's arms.
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #201 on: 2012-07-14, 14:16:21 »
101? wow

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #202 on: 2012-07-17, 17:36:18 »
101 what?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #203 on: 2012-07-17, 19:30:25 »
i think Sir Wolf is amazed at how old ReichsRitter Eberhard Booe died, in which he died at the age of 101. That is amazing. 
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #204 on: 2012-07-18, 01:58:10 »
i think Sir Wolf is amazed at how old ReichsRitter Eberhard Booe died, in which he died at the age of 101. That is amazing. 

He died at age 95
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #205 on: 2012-07-18, 10:02:04 »
hah tells you i can do math in my head hehehehhe. i read the numbers backwards. doh, but still 95 man o man thats old even for now.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #206 on: 2012-07-18, 13:23:24 »
That's why I asked...101 didn't seem to fit anywhere for me.  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #207 on: 2012-07-18, 17:14:15 »
Oops! I did the math wrong, but yes 93 is still an old age, still impressive.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #208 on: 2012-07-21, 14:50:37 »
This week's Knight of the week: "Sir Erasmus von Lueger" - The Predjama Castle in Carniola was first mentioned in 1274. For the next 200 years it was the center of conflicts for its ownership. In 1478, it became the property of the knight, Erazem (Erasmus) von Lueg (Lueger). He was probably the most famous inhabitant of that castle. He was the son of the Imperial Governor of Trieste, Nikolaj Lueger. Erasmus was a "robber baron" who, like Robin Hood, waylaid wagons in the deep forest and handed it over to the poor. During the wars between the Hungarians and the Austrians, Erasmus supported the Austrians.

In 1471, two of his friends went for peace talks and were promised safe passage. Instead they were captured and beheaded. For this reason, Erasmus avenged his friends murder by killing the villan, the commander of the Imperial army, Marshall Pappenheim. Erasmus fled to his castle to escape from being killed himself. The castle was put under seige under orders from the Emperor. But the castle could NOT be starvewd out. Later it was found that there was a secret entrance to the castle through the caves where fresh supplies were brought in.

When the troops (putting the castle under seige) were freezing and starving in the middle of winter, Erasmus catapulted a roasted ox to them and wished them a good appetite! When spring arrived, he sent them freshly picked cherries. After a year had passed, Erasmus was finally killed by a cannonball after his whereabouts were guven away by a treacherous servant. The cannonball missed him but when it hit the wall behind him, an avalanche collapsed on him, thus ending his rebellion in 1483.
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #209 on: 2012-07-21, 22:43:22 »
Sir Erasmus: "Ha! You missed me with that cannon shot!"
Cannoneer: "Wait for it...."

That sounds like a really neat castle, with the hidden passage(s).
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent