"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: Knight of the week  (Read 188966 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Knight of the week
« Reply #180 on: 2012-06-13, 15:18:55 »
Yes...that is a point that could be argued either way ad infinitum.  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Sir John of Felsenbau (Ritter Johann von Felsenbau)
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #181 on: 2012-06-16, 14:54:16 »
This week's Knight of the week: Prince Valiant" - In the Kingdom of Thule, somewhere on the Norwegian coast fell to the forces of King Willam. The captives, including Prince Valiant, and taken to a far off land. Each night, Prince Valiant had the same dream, about the past battle of Thule, a falcon, a kingdom, and excalibur. Valient is convinced he must escape and find Camelot. In his quest, Cedric, a blacksmith, forges him a sword, "Flamberge" (sister of the sword excalibur) for saving his daughter's life. The sword sings when it is used in battle. On the way to Camelot, he fights a giant crocodile. Finally he arrives at Camelot. Merlin takes a great interest in him and convinces King Arthur to train him for knighthood. He is squire to Sir Gawain.

By the end of the year, Valiant has proven himself enough and goes back to Thule and with the help of the local peasants, recaptures Thule and his father once again becomes king. Valiant decides to go back to Camelot until it is his turn to rule Thule. On his return, he is knighted by King Arthur and becomes a knight of the round table. He fights with King Arthur against King Lot and others who refuse to acknowledge Arthur of King of Britain. Later Valiant meets a princess (of the misty isles) and they fall in love. After Arthur's battle and defeat of Mordred, Valient and Princess Aleta are wed. Valiant continues his adventures with his son, Nathan.

(I searched the internet but could not find an end to this story...anyone know how it ends?)

(The historical and mythological elements of Prince Valiant were initially chaotic, but soon Foster attempted to bring the facts into order. Some elements of the story place it in the Fifth century,)
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Motto:  "Perseverantis Vincit Omnia"
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"
      "Crescit Senex est Manditory, Excrescendi est Voluntarium"

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #182 on: 2012-06-16, 16:50:58 »
LOL!  Prince Valiant!  I used to read those comics in the newspapers when I was young and now I know the full (or good majority) of his story!   :D
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #183 on: 2012-06-22, 04:33:37 »
Still read them. Got to see what medieval-themed silliness is up for this week  ;)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #184 on: 2012-06-22, 14:41:59 »
I'd forgotten about the singing sword...there's a Biblical reference for you, there always is one.  :)
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #185 on: 2012-06-23, 14:28:19 »
This week's Knight of the week: "Sir Rudolph I von Habsburg" - Rudolph was born in 1218 at Habsburg (Hawks) Catle. His early youth was spent  to martial and athletic exercises. He was distinquished in his horsemanship and his great strength. In 1236 he was knighted by Frederick II. After his father's death in 1239, he inherited large estates along with the ancestral castle of Habsburg. In 1240 he was appointed Graf (Count) von Habsburg and Landgraf von Thurgau.

Around 1245 he served with the Teutonic Knights in the war against the Prussian pagans. He was elected King of Germany and Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire in 1273. In 1276, he was again at war. In 1277 he was confirmed as the Duke if Austria and Styria. At the battle of Marchfeld in 1278 (One of the largest "knight" battles of the Middle ages), he remained on the battlefield with his men until the battle was over...more than 10,000 knights lay dead on the battlefield!

His next task was to rid his land of the Robber Knights. On the Rhine alone, he destroyed 70 strongholds and in Thuringia he conqured 66 castles within a year!

Rudloph died in 1291. His reign was memorable in founding the House of Hapsburg as a powerful Dynasty. Rudolph was also known for the founding of "The Noble Knighthood" where the knights were known for their knightly virtues (as they became known for.) Rudolph's honesty became a proverb and for many years after his death, it was said of liars and thiefs: "He has not our Roudolphs Honesty!" With Rudolph began a period of peace for Germany which was to last for 200 years!

-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #186 on: 2012-06-24, 00:30:49 »
I love your "Knight of the Week" series here, Sir John, very informative .... but one thing... How the heck do you manage to scavenge up those surcoats & shields for each presentation on such short notice??? lol
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #187 on: 2012-06-24, 14:03:53 »
well...not on short notice...since my wife died about 3 years ago...I needed to keep busy so on weekends and evenings I'd research a knight, and make the outfit. The wood for the shields is all from the trash...the cloth for the surcoats I bought at a thrift store...so the only real expense was the helmets...and I'm good at finding the cheapest price on the one I want. By the way...ALL the surcoats I sewed by hand! So they are really more authentic. (Hey I even sewed my late wife's wedding dress! But that's another story.)

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #188 on: 2012-06-25, 08:09:19 »
well...not on short notice...since my wife died about 3 years ago...I needed to keep busy so on weekends and evenings I'd research a knight, and make the outfit. The wood for the shields is all from the trash...the cloth for the surcoats I bought at a thrift store...so the only real expense was the helmets...and I'm good at finding the cheapest price on the one I want. By the way...ALL the surcoats I sewed by hand! So they are really more authentic. (Hey I even sewed my late wife's wedding dress! But that's another story.)

Sir John

Very admirable, Sir John. And my respects for your wife. May God bless you.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #189 on: 2012-06-25, 14:03:19 »
Thanks...it didn't get really hard on me until the last 2 years of her life when the MS affected her brain and she was in and out of mental hospitals. Sometimes she would just wander off leaving the door open, me not knowing where she was. It took a huge toll on me, but I stayed with her till the end, even when her family deserted her!

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #190 on: 2012-06-25, 14:41:29 »
but I stayed with her till the end, even when her family deserted her!

I have no doubt of that. Loyal to the end, which is very admirable. Well done, Sir John.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #191 on: 2012-06-25, 15:17:46 »
Thanks....I tend to stick to my vows...so I think I'd be a good knight.

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #192 on: 2012-06-25, 17:22:34 »
Thanks....I tend to stick to my vows...so I think I'd be a good knight.

Sir John you are a good knight in that you have demonstrated loyalty to a loved one.  God Bless you.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #193 on: 2012-06-25, 17:26:34 »
I try to live by the knight's code through my whole life, and never regretted it. Knowing what had layed ahead...I would still do it...while others would turn their backs.

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #194 on: 2012-06-26, 14:22:51 »
That is the very essence of a knight...to stand when others can or will not.