Main > The Round Table

Knight of the week

<< < (29/77) > >>

Joshua Santana:
Yes I read your message early Sir John.  I would be more than happy to sponsor you but alas I have yet to become a Knight of the Order and it will be some time before that happens.  But when either Sir Matthew of myself are knighted we would be honored to sponsor you.  Your research has helped us understand how Chivalry whether it be in the Renaissance or Middle Ages lived through the lives of many individuals.  Your research would help us in bringing Chivalry back to modern day life.

Sir William:
That was an excellent choice, Sir John...I'd read a bit about El Cid but nothing in depth; that was very informative, thank you!

Sir John of Felsenbau:
I do have the El Cid movie with Charelton Heston...actually to say I have a HUGE collection of medieval & knight movies is being modest! Hard to find one I don't have. Just got "ARN" haven't had time to watch it.

Sir John

Sir Wolf:
i have that one as well and havent been able to watch it either

Sir John of Felsenbau:
This week's knight of the week: "Sir Robert Kerr" - King David I was born in 1085 and founded the first two burghs in Scotland: Berwick and Roxburgh. He was the eldest son of William Kerr (d. 1606). Robert helped James VI against Bothwell. At the coronation of Anne of Denmark in 1590, he was one of 12 that were chosen to be knighted. He was a member of the Privy council of Scotland from 1599. He was created Lord of Roxburgh at the end of 1599, and was created Baron of Roxburgh in 1600. He succeeded to his father's estates in 1606 and was created the first Earl of Roxburgh in 1616. He was appointed Keeper of the Privy Seal of Scotland in 1637.

On the breaking out of civil war in Scotland in 1639 he joined the king. Later he also fought with the king during the English civil war (1642-1651). In 1648 he supported the engagement to rescue the king. He died in 1650, in his 80th year. On his death, the lordship of Roxburgh became extinct. The ruins of Roxburgh Castle are thought by some historians to be those of Camelot. The civil war ended with the Parlimentary victory at the Battle of Worcester in 1651.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version