"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: Chivalry, 1849  (Read 3649 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Chivalry, 1849
« on: 2011-07-28, 17:29:17 »
CHIVALRY 1849
http://www.washburn.edu/sobu/broach/chivalry.html
At this period, when governments were unsettled, and laws little regarded, the laws of chivalry alone imposed a salutary check upon a rude and barbarous age. It elevated the character of the female sex, by exacting of the knights a strict and respectful attention to them; and the reverence paid to them chiefly prevented mankind from relapsing into a state of barbarism. It is true, the knights did not always live up to the principles which they avowed; but these were only exceptions to the general rule.In order correctly to estimate the benefits of chivalry, we must consider what the world would have been without it. Had it not existed, all the vices which we behold in that period of the world's history would have been greatly increased. The immorality of that age would have been much greater, for it would have wanted the only principle of refinement; the warlike spirit of the brave would have displayed itself in darker scenes of bloodshed, and even religion would longer have been obscured, had not chivalry, by softening the manners of the age, and promoting general communication between man and man, gradually dispelled the darkness and admitted light.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

ECOX

• Forum Member
  • I'm new here
Re: Chivalry, 1849
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-30, 03:17:05 »
Great article. I was raised to respect ladies with the simple gesture of opening a door for them. It is surprising the smiles and surprised look you get from a lady when you step aside and hold the door for her. Our young men have forgotten this type of action and the young ladies no longer expect it. It is this combined with the bastardization  of our way of speaking that shows a downturn of society.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-02, 13:03:28 »
Yes, a great article. 

I was raised to respect ladies with the simple gesture of opening a door for them. It is surprising the smiles and surprised look you get from a lady when you step aside and hold the door for her. Our young men have forgotten this type of action and the young ladies no longer expect it. It is this combined with the bastardization  of our way of speaking that shows a downturn of society.

You make an excellent point Sir.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-08-02, 14:19:37 »
Without chivalry, what would separate us from our barbaric past?  The fault that it is dying out can be laid squarely at our feet.  We were raised so...it is up to us to spread the message.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-03, 02:45:06 »
I put some of the blame on lawsuits. You never know when a good deed could be met with a lawsuit. :(
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-08-04, 15:25:01 »
I agree, we have become a litigious society but I think if you temper chivalry with a little bit of homegrown wisdom (common sense) you should be just fine.  Long gone are the days when you could take a tavern wench into your lap and fondle her openly...lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€