"He is victorious who knows when and when not to fight."
                -- Sun Tzu

Author Topic: book suggestion needed for a friend  (Read 4371 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
book suggestion needed for a friend
« on: 2011-07-12, 20:29:40 »
Hey, can you suggest any good books that 1) give a military history of the crusades putting the battles and people in context and/or 2) describe what combat in the crusades was like for different groups of people from all sides?

what do you think?

dungeon fire and sword
barbarian controversy

what else?

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: book suggestion needed for a friend
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-12, 20:40:44 »
Here's something for him to start with:

A History of the Crusades: Volume 1, The First Crusade and the Foundation of the Kingdom of Jerusalem (Cambridge University Press 1951)
A History of the Crusades: Volume 2, The Kingdom of Jerusalem and the Frankish East (Cambridge University Press 1952)
A History of the Crusades: Volume 3, The Kingdom of Acre and the Later Crusades (Cambridge University Press 1954)

I read the third one and have to go back and acquire (and read) the first two.  Kind of dry, but a must-read for any Crusader historian or enthusiast.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Frater de Beaumanoir

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Romans 13:4
« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-21, 14:47:07 »
For a good "down and dirty" feel to combat in the First Crusade, try the book Seige of Jerusalem by Conor Kostick.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-08-23, 16:14:17 »
On my list of books to acquire!  Now I just have to decide...digital or paperback?  That Kindle is spoiling me!
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-24, 20:22:17 »
On my list of books to acquire!  Now I just have to decide...digital or paperback?  That Kindle is spoiling me!

I'm a tech guy, but for books I always try to go for paperback. Friends and family can borrow them to read, and there's no chance of it being dropped / broken / etc (unless you count bathtub droppage incidents - which would ruin the kindle too, and at a much higher price tag).
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-08-24, 20:47:33 »
I did not know people still took baths!  Showers are so much shorter and cost-effective (unless you're my wife in which case, either or lol)...not to say you're any less manly if you like to read while you bathe...so long as you don't tell me it is accompanied with a glass of chilled chardonnay.

:)