"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play, but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache."
                -- Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Author Topic: Amazon cancels associates program in California  (Read 4445 times)

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Amazon cancels associates program in California
« on: 2011-07-08, 14:28:43 »
As posted on myArmoury:

myArmoury.com loses a source of income

Way to go California, squeeze the small guy for every penny yet don't ask those earning above $300,000 to participate.  Oh wait, that's my beloved state of Minnesota! ;)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Amazon cancels associates program in California
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-08, 14:59:32 »
That is a real shame...and I can understand both sides of the argument- but I've always been in favor of being fair.  If the little man is taxed a total of 22% of his salary, the big man should be as well...so what he has millions, the same percentage should still apply.

If we stick to percentages and not dollar amounts, it'd be more fair.  Just because Joe Blow is worth 80 million and he gives 2 mill to this or that- well hell, he still owes another 16 mill, give or take.  Needs to be comin up off that!

Poor folk like myself can barely fathom that much money- having never seen a million bucks all in one place EXCEPT on tv, I have no real concept of it.  Sad thing is, a million's not even a lot of money anymore...well, it is to me still.  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-11, 18:02:59 »
Wow, I'm sorry to hear about that.

It makes me wonder a little about his operating costs though. I know I'm on a paypal subscription that sends him like $30/year. I don't know how many others are. But web space is pretty cheap these days. Maybe he owns a server in co-lo? That could be more pricey. It just makes me curious.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-11, 18:33:03 »
So California passed a bill that's in DIRECT violation of a Supreme Court ruling? And then Amazon bails on 25,000 websites? Why do we even retain California as part of the US, if they seem so dead-set on doing things different than the rest of the nation, and ignoring the "little people" like the Supreme Court??

That's insanity.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #4 on: 2011-07-11, 18:37:26 »
If I remember correctly, he does own his co-located server.  There was a temporary shutdown a while back while they moved to a new server.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-07-12, 06:22:21 »
So California passed a bill that's in DIRECT violation of a Supreme Court ruling? And then Amazon bails on 25,000 websites? Why do we even retain California as part of the US, if they seem so dead-set on doing things different than the rest of the nation, and ignoring the "little people" like the Supreme Court??

That's insanity.

????

How is this a direct contradiction of Supreme Court Rulings?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2011-07-12, 18:52:27 »

That's insanity.

????

How is this a direct contradiction of Supreme Court Rulings?

Per the thread linked to AA:

For those that may not be aware, this is a reaction by Amazon to a California bill signed into law last week requiring out-of-state retailers to collect the State's sales tax on transactions completed through referrals sites, such as myArmoury, even though the retailer has no physical presence within the State. This is in direct violation of U.S. Supreme Court rulings on the matter, but California has rarely let that stop them from going after revenue. They sent the first notice to affiliates the day the bill was sent to the governor, and the second the day he signed it.

I don't remember the specifics, but it's something like the Interstate Commerce ruling that set the precedent.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent