"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds."
                -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)

Author Topic: ever wanted to do a nice fantasy kit?  (Read 9092 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
ever wanted to do a nice fantasy kit?
« on: 2011-06-21, 16:55:24 »
i was thinking about it today. something like a Lord of the Rings or something like that. but where to start? how far should i go? i am more of a ranger or horselord type(rohirum?) (forget the names) than a gondorian or ork type.

any thoughts?

James Barker

• Forum Member
    • Historic Life
Re: ever wanted to do a nice fantasy kit?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-06-21, 17:03:01 »
I thought about making a Rohirrim kit at one time, everything is leather and I could make it myself.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2011-06-21, 17:06:50 »
i could get us the horses from my cousins farm hehehe, i'll get you the pony hheheeh ;)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2011-06-21, 17:16:23 »

I always wanted to do a really cool looking wizard outfit. But the problem is that it's hard to pull it off without it looking chintzy, gaudy, cheap, fake, cheesy, etc. I think to do it right, as with armor, you can end up spending a lot. So I've shelved the idea for years now.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-06-21, 17:17:21 »
I'm going to do either a Ranger or Gondorian Knight at some point...always best to start with what's closest to your skin; the clothing.  Under garments are fairly generic to Medieval or Renaissance standards; Rangers were primarily leather garments and armor, mostly in the form of longcoats and bracers...I believe Aragorn's longcoat had reinforcing leather on the sword arm.

Gondorian Knights were akin to 16th Century High Medieval knights in full plate but of course, they were much more artistic having taken many design cues from the Elves.

For my Ranger, I was going to go with a leather breast plate, vambraces and greaves over leather pants, long boots and some sort of long-sleeved tunic.

As for weapons, mostly sword, bow and dagger/knife...the Gondorian knights may've used spears (no mention of lances that I can recall), the Rohirrim certainly did- as well as some really nasty battle axes, with a Danish look to'm iirc.

The Rohirrim royalty (Theoden, Eomer, Theodred, Eowyn) wore highly detailed leather-embossed plate, but the rest wore primarily leather armor and garments; of them all, the Rangers and Rohirrim should be the easiest.

There is a Gondorian harness for sale on eBay or there was...I shall look for it later, my PC is prompting me to shut down now to apply updates.  PITA this thing is.  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2011-06-21, 17:19:20 »

I always wanted to do a really cool looking wizard outfit. But the problem is that it's hard to pull it off without it looking chintzy, gaudy, cheap, fake, cheesy, etc. I think to do it right, as with armor, you can end up spending a lot. So I've shelved the idea for years now.

dont wanna get called "....tim?" do we? heheh jk ;)

ya i dunno the thought will probably pass into nothingness. :( so sad

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2011-06-21, 18:03:56 »
thoughts on using what i have instead of buying stuff.

ranger:
black ren shirt
black surcoat
black leather jerkin over all of it.
black wool cloak.
leather guantlets over leather bracers
black wool pants
lace up black moccicin boots
long belt.

hmmm i got nothing for my head. would love a black leather hood and mantle from Potomac Leather that matches my jerkin I got from them

may have to see if I can find all of these pieces from various kits tonight and put them together to see how they look. could be a giant fail but it's worht a shot.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2011-06-21, 18:14:12 »
Looks like you're already well situated, Wolf.  That get-up could go for a Slayer persona too...
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #8 on: 2011-06-22, 00:29:02 »
well i found everything. now do i really want to put it on? it's REALLY HOT outside. (830pm and still 90 degrees!)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #9 on: 2011-06-22, 02:31:27 »
well i found everything. now do i really want to put it on? it's REALLY HOT outside. (830pm and still 90 degrees!)

Consider it a dry run for the renfaire. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #10 on: 2011-06-22, 03:17:59 »
hahaha everyone is asleep now. i could also add my old lion headed kris dagger, my lutel hand and a half sword and my bow w arrows. hmmmmmm. may try to play around with my timer on my camera tomorrow.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2011-06-22, 15:51:58 »
Play, play- let us see!

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2011-06-22, 19:35:36 »
Yep, I have, and still, want to do a semi-fantasy rogue. Mostly a "plausible" but not "historical". Leather boots, leather pants (possibly side-laced - rogues can't have loose clothing), basic medieval front-tie shirt, side-laced leather vest, leather vambraces (with the half-elbow extension), a left-side pauldron, maybe half-gauntlets ... and a nice hooded, knee or ankle length cape with a good single-handed sword and a dagger (or three).

Less "fantasy" in that I don't plan on any patterns in the leather, just clean, functional gear, but definitely "fantasy" in that it very likely never happened historically. Sort of vaguely like this (http://roleplayerguild.com/members/captain-sharp/albums/asgariath/15772-armor-studded-leather-azerayes-armor.jpg). I haven't decided to do studded or not, or internal splints or not.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2011-06-22, 20:52:34 »
That looks like something out of Fable...and you know what?  I happen to know a particularly skilled leather armorer...have to show you the bracers and greaves he put together for me sometime...it won't make your wallet scream bloody murder, either.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #14 on: 2011-06-23, 00:51:31 »
« Last Edit: 2011-06-23, 01:09:38 by Sir Wolf »