Main > The Round Table

Trial by combat

<< < (7/9) > >>

Sir Wolf:
at least KOH had riveted mail ;)

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: RauttSkegg on 2011-06-15, 21:01:26 ---And also there is the Einvigi (informal, almost no rules) and the Holmganga (formal, several rules). There is a quote somewhere that says, to effect, that an inexperienced warrior may have an easier time in the Einvigi than the Holmganga as they will have less to worry about even though they are in greater danger.

--- End quote ---

Only if you're doing time travel. ;) You're talking about cultures that are half a millenia apart. The laws, weapons, culture and context are all very different between 13th century Scandanavia and 18th century Scotland.

In the 18th century, doing something akin to the Holmganga would be the equivalent to modern gang members putting on pantyhose and licking their palms while knife fighting... in other words, everyone would wonder, "What the hell are they doing? Someone call the police." And doing something akin to the Einvigi in the 18th century would have gotten you thrown in prison or even executed for murder.

Thorsteinn:

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2011-06-16, 02:29:54 ---Only if you're doing time travel. ;) You're talking about cultures that are half a millenia apart. The laws, weapons, culture and context are all very different between 13th century Scandanavia and 18th century Scotland.

In the 18th century, doing something akin to the Holmganga would be the equivalent to modern gang members putting on pantyhose and licking their palms while knife fighting... in other words, everyone would wonder, "What the hell are they doing? Someone call the police." And doing something akin to the Einvigi in the 18th century would have gotten you thrown in prison or even executed for murder.

--- End quote ---

That is a distinction of method but not style nor motivation relative to the cultures of the time.

Even in the 18th century did you have informal and formal duels. Think of the one that was both that Abraham Lincoln fought a century later than Rob Roy.

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: RauttSkegg on 2011-06-16, 05:14:17 ---That is a distinction of method but not style nor motivation relative to the cultures of the time.
--- End quote ---

It's all of the above. If you're saying that informal and formal duels happened in the 18th century, then yes, I agree with you. (though informal duels were technically illegal) If you're saying the Einvigi and the Holmganga were done, then I can't agree, because those had their own sets of customs, and they had their own cultural connotations for their own period half a millenia earlier. We can't lump all of history together and assume everything applies to all occassions. Trial by combat changed quite a bit throughout history.

Sir James A:
What comes to my mind whenever I hear "rapier vs broadsword/longsword":

(jump to 1:05 - or watch the whole thing - it's hilarious in it's disregard for safety)

Das Bill, I had no idea that dissimilar weapons were used in historical context for dueling. Neat!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version