Main > The Round Table

Trial by combat

(1/9) > >>

Sir Brian:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Le_Gris

Here is an interesting story relating to the last trial by combat in France sanctioned by the crown.  :)

Joshua Santana:
Oh this is awesome!  1300's, even more awesome. 

Only sad part of it, is that Le Gris had to die with no chance of proving his innocence.  That would have helped earlier in the Court and certainly would help with Historians and Jurists of today.

I cannot help but to think that Le Gris's judicial duel in description does sound like a bout in full armor, first started on horseback, then with longswords, finally ended with daggers.

Thank you Sir Brian for sharing!

Sir Edward:

Man, what a great story! The page notes the possibility of a film adaptation. That would be cool.

Sir Brian:
Yeah I thought it would make an excellent movie as well, there was certainly enough doubts bandied about after the duel that he was innocent. Martin Scorsese could take it in so many different directions. :)

Thorsteinn:
I read a book on that. When the guy told the story it was great, when it strayed into the realm of historian giving a thesis speech it wasn't.

On that topic: Aside from the 13th Warrior, and that scene in The War Gods Own, is their any good films or fiction books you could reccomend that would have a goos scene of Trial By Combat, Holmganga, or Einvigi?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version