"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: GDFB Sugarloaf Helm review  (Read 3808 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
GDFB Sugarloaf Helm review
« on: 2011-05-30, 16:37:58 »

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AB1340&name=Sugar+Loaf+Helmet

this helmet is well worth the 65 bucks. i have a 24 inch head and it fit me perfect. i has a leather liner in it so with padding it may have been tight. i think with a mail coif i still would be ok if i wore a lighter un padded coif inside. it did come close to the nose, but i think that's how they are designed. there are some out there that do jet outward but this was not one of those.  i have tried on many many sugarloafs and this one is great. i would say it is even better than the old MRL one that fit me great too.
it is 16 guage so not as heavy as most of the GDFB helmets and the brass is a nice touch and not "off" as many helms.

good finish, great price, good fit. over all i would say 4.5 out of 5 on the cheaper helmet scale. and that's only cause the fit maybe tight on some wearers

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: GDFB Sugarloaf Helm review
« Reply #1 on: 2011-05-31, 05:00:34 »
Thanks for the review. This is definitely a likely candidate to finish off my 14th cent brass trimmed kit. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2011-05-31, 13:37:50 »

Yep, I like it, but on me it only seems to fit if I keep my hair down (without a pony tail knot or anything) and without a padded arming cap (even the thinly padded ones I have). And even then, my nose presses up against the front, right where the rivets are, and my glasses touch the front as well. If I put on the padded cap or leave my hair in the knot, my glasses scrape the front, my nose gets really flattened, and the ocular sits on the rim of my glasses.

I might be able to use it on the days where it's really too hot for a helmet, and just want to have the look of carrying it with me. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-05-31, 14:32:54 »
Good deal...been wanting one of those.  Thanks for sharing!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€