"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: ouch  (Read 6624 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
ouch
« on: 2011-05-20, 18:35:37 »
uggg armour is not going to be fun to wear.

Chiropractor says i may have a pinched disk in my lower back. seems i've done something at some point and have some serious issues that go from my lower back down to the backs of my knees. this along with the arthritis in my neck and previous back issues are causing me a tad bit of pain lately. not complaining mind you, just sharing and venting hehehe there is so much i want to do! but standing up just takes the energy right out of me.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: ouch
« Reply #1 on: 2011-05-20, 19:17:59 »
Hey man, unlike other areas of the body, the back is...touchy, for lack of a better word.  Back problems seem to run in the family...although I am surprised because you've lost weight not gained it so if anything, your back should be thanking you.  Its picked a strange way to show it though.

Do any heavy lifting beyond fighting and re-enactments in armor?  That alone could probably have a lot to do with it.  Sucks growing old, doesn't it?

I wake up daily with aches and pains that I swear are brand new.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2011-05-20, 19:57:32 »

Yeah, back problems are not to be underestimated. As they say, you can never truly understand back problems until you have them.

The good news is you can still look like a knight by just wearing the gambeson and surcoat. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-05-20, 20:06:51 »
Indeed!  And you'll get that sorted out...its not like we're in our 60s, or should I say 70s, since the Marshal was still sitting a horse and leading men into battle even then!
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-05-20, 20:48:56 »
I feel you there.

I have scoliosis and need to see the chiropractor after almost every tourney. Although sometimes I feel better, back-wise, after a tourney than before.

Good news is that it keeps the chiropractor entertained with new and unique problems.

Don't forget to get some firm deep tissue/ sports massage.

-Ivan
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-05-21, 02:13:33 »
I was not so gently placed against a concrete barrier on the interstate in Ohio by a semi when I was 17. After a trip to the hospital on a stretcher and backboard and a few weeks of rest and rehab - well, I've still never been the same. Getting up wrong can shoot pain down my lower back sometimes.

Best wishes with the recovery. Most important is don't over-strain yourself.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2011-05-21, 05:13:12 »
many thanks for the well wishes. i do think this all comes from a fall i had 10 or so years ago where a ladder gave way while building a roof over my outdoor furnace. i grabbed a hold of the rafter with one arm and dangled for a few min but the damage had been done. ehehe silly chiropractor then wondered why i didn't go see him or a Dr right after it happened, hehe i told him i had to finish the roof first ;) it made my back go kinda crooked. its been fine for a while now, i mean goes out now and then but that's just the name of the game. this has just had me for a week straight now and is becoming a serious pain in the backside hehehe. glad i have insurance cause I've been back to seeing the chiro 3 times this week and got more apts for next week. it'll get better, till i do something again hahaha

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2011-05-22, 16:13:02 »
If you try one of the older remedies, make sure you don't believe them if they tell you that medieval and renaissance reenactors get western-style acupuncture with epees.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #8 on: 2011-05-22, 16:31:59 »
hah!

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #9 on: 2011-05-22, 18:01:54 »
Yeah, those moronic doctors! It was done with Gladii! Just ask the Gauls!

BTW, add me to the list of back problems. Had to quit basketball and track  :(
That's why I'm not the biggest fan of Cuirasses... Not enough flexroom to stretch it right....
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2011-06-21, 19:55:22 »
Goodness, so young too...I guess I should not complain anymore.  Mine are just minor aches and pains, nothing I would go see a Dr. for...but then, I do not like them so I am not likely to see one anyway.