"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society."
                -- Theodore Roosevelt

Author Topic: Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor.  (Read 22088 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org

Coronado Sword
http://www.kshs.org/p/cool-things-coronado-sword/10342

Many Spanish swords bore an inscription on the blade that read "No me saques sin razon; no me enbaines sin honor", which translates to "Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."

In a way this simple statement is a very good summary of chivalry, as it pertains to armed conflict. The chivalrous knight needed to know when to fight and when not to. And if the fight was needed, he needed to fight with honor, and fight to win (we have to remember that in the medieval sense, there was little honor in losing).

I think it would be cool to have this etched on my own swords, perhaps in Latin. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
Re: Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor.
« Reply #1 on: 2011-05-05, 15:06:51 »
"No me saques sin razon; no me enbaines sin honor"

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."

I like that phrase, and I agree that is another aspect of Chivalry in relation to fighting.

And if the fight was needed, he needed to fight with honor, and fight to win (we have to remember that in the medieval sense, there was little honor in losing).

I agree on that point!
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2011-05-05, 17:02:05 »
Seeing as one of the Latin words for sheath is 'vagina', I wonder what these online translators will come up with.  Here's one:

Duco mihi non frustra ; tondeo mihi non vacuus veneratio

The 'mihi' doesn't seem to be...real?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-05-05, 18:34:01 »
I think it would be cool to have this etched on my own swords, perhaps in Latin. :)

I was thinking the same thing, but I never learned what sheath was when I took latin in school, so I turned to a translator. Uh... you may want to rethink it, or we may want to come up with an alternate word for sheath....

"Traho non sin causa; me vagina ignobil" (this is my best shot at it, using "cause" instead of "reason" and looking up what "sheath" is)

"Eripe me non sine causa; me vagina ignobilis" (this is what google translate gave - which is odd because i thought eripe is "save")

You could use "return" instead of "sheath", and "Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor" would be similar to "Eripe me non sine causa; me redire ignobilis".

It's a very cool phrase. I vaguely recall something similar in an asian martial arts movie where something was said along the lines of "Don't draw your sword in anger, but when drawn, don't sheath it until your enemies have fallen" - I know I've butchered the exact wording, but that was the gist of it, and it was an older movie.

EDIT: Doh! Ninja'd by Sir William. I also looked up scabbard, and it gives the same word. I don't recall ever seeing "mihi" in latin at school.
« Last Edit: 2011-05-05, 18:36:59 by James Anderson III »
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2011-05-05, 19:21:07 »

Does Latin at all make a distinction between "sheath" as a noun, and "sheath" as a verb? I think "return" or "put away" have the right connotation.

Otherwise, I suppose you don't need to store the sword in a sheath. You can also put it in a box. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #5 on: 2011-05-05, 20:39:11 »
 ???   :o   :D
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #6 on: 2011-05-06, 01:38:48 »
"Sword In a Box"?  Wasn't that a Saturday Night Live bit? ;)
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2011-05-06, 02:08:47 »
If I get a sword with inlay it'll say BrynjubĂ­tr (maille-biter) in Futhark. :D

« Last Edit: 2011-05-06, 02:12:59 by RauttSkegg »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #8 on: 2011-05-06, 03:07:48 »

Yeah, the song you're thinking of started up in my head when I wrote that message. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2011-05-09, 03:59:09 »
Does Latin at all make a distinction between "sheath" as a noun, and "sheath" as a verb? I think "return" or "put away" have the right connotation.

Not that I could figure out, since they're spelled the same, but I'm far from even passably acceptable at this - I haven't taken a class in almost 15 years.

http://translate.google.com/#en|la|sheath

This might be an alternative:

http://translate.google.com/#la|en|involucrum

It says it's a noun, so it wouldn't be proper for the action of sheathing, but maybe we should mix up a word or two here and there, so that after we're gone, and the conspiracy theorists find out about the order, and they find our gear, and they translate it and say "wait, there's something not quite right with that. just who WERE they, anyway??" ... then, we can laugh about it from the other side. :D

Otherwise, I suppose you don't need to store the sword in a sheath. You can also put it in a box. :)

I was going to write my above post with "Step 1", but you guys got it covered already. ;)
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2011-05-09, 13:08:00 »

Yeah, the song you're thinking of started up in my head when I wrote that message. :)

I hate to say it, but that was the first thing that popped up into my head as well.  Damn Justin Timberlake.  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”